Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BioWare enables true Roleplaying

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
you've got to be fucking kidding me. is the world getting sadder and lonelier every fucking minute or something? who needs this shit? and how is perpetuating this sick need for playing dress-up going to help the sad fucks who do think they need this shit?

Clockwork Knight said:
There is no difference between playing with Barbie and rpgs anymore, so you can save time by staying around

Fallout 3 is one giant game of virtual "House" according to the Bethesda forums and the Nexus community. never have i witnessed such sadness condensed into such a powerfully depressing format before.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The truth is, you are best off not playing games anymore, except to maybe replay the old games you liked when you were younger. It's not worth it anymore. Everything has become so agitating, so uncouth, not to mention boring and insulting to the user's intelligence.

I would say something like "But the Indies are a glimmer of hope!" but the truth is that for one decent (if buggy and somehow unprofessional) game there are about thousand poor ones that will likewise just waste your time.

TwinkieGorilla said:
Fallout 3 is one giant game of virtual "House" according to the Bethesda forums and the Nexus community. never have i witnessed such sadness condensed into such a powerfully depressing format before.

Online forums aren't a good indicator because they tend to attract the worst of their respective public. Only the most passionate retards go to these places to voice their horrible opinions, the rest just sort of enjoy themselves with what they already have.

Some certain prestigious magazines are exempt from that rule, obviously :smug:

Cassidy

Arcane
The truth is, you are best off not playing games anymore, except to maybe replay the old games you liked when you were younger. It's not worth it anymore. Everything has become so agitating, so uncouth, not to mention boring and insulting to the user's intelligence.

There are still many decent old games I haven't played yet, fortunately, but this is reality. Nowadays adv... propaganda is everything. A piece of shit from a truly critical standpoint with 5 millions invested in hype sells better than a masterwork that got such investment in game development instead. Corporations give a shit about consumers(News at 11) despite what propagandas says, and thus if they're stupid enough to buy hyped shit that is cheaper and/or easier to be developed than quality works, they'll keep churning hyped shit.

Also, inane dress-ups plus games made so easy winning is trivial must be related to a very specific target audiences. It doesn't take much thinking to link such fad to make games with insta-win that give shallow ego-boosts to the player with a target audience that has serious self-esteem problems and that has never had any achievement in real life. It's not as much a matter of people being stupid as of people having an immense urge for instant self-gratification.

Worldwide, most people are unsatisfied and think they failed at life when they are not sufficiently distracted, drowning their sorrows in alcohol, drugs or in games that give them achievements for things a 6 years old with Down's Syndrome could do without difficulty. Mass-marketing must appeal to most, so everything makes sense. In capitalism, most people will inevitably be losers working for the winners for life while hiding under self-delusions, circle-jerking, drugs, alcohol and ideological brainwash to not accept such fact. Of course, winners can afford to do better things in their spare time than play games that give them shallow ego-boosts and are shit, because they don't need any delusion of achieving something.

tl;dr nextgen games cater to losers. News at 11.

PS: Yeah, I'm being a bit persistent at my point that a person who is desperate for instant gratification in a virtual illusion is most likely a loser first, stupid person second, but in the Codex, it takes more than one go to promote an opinion.

Cassidy said:

There are still many decent old games I haven't played yet, fortunately,

Sadly they run out eventually. And then you get to the point where you've played through them so many times that you just can't be assed doing another runthrough of them.

:(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Both will happen at the same time: Grimoire will be such a good game that the last few minds that could possibly have delayed the inevitable became so busy playing it that ITZ finally occurs sooner than everyone had thought. And the rest you know: floods, ice age, hunger, african-american non-consent intercourse squads and ragout de baby.

Azrael the cat said:
Cassidy said:

Sadly they run out eventually. And then you get to the point where you've played through them so many times that you just can't be assed doing another runthrough of them.

A good* side effect of that is that by that point you will have given up and will just enjoy the new shit for what it is.

*In your diseased, tired mind, that is

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Jasede said:

This is about where I'm at as well. I'm still playing games, but they're almost all 8+ years old. The only exceptions are games from Valve and Blizzard, which continue to really resonate with me, although I can understand why a lot of the Codex crowd doesn't care for them. Otherwise, I just can't stand the next-gen shit. The only mainstream console game that I really enjoy is Rockband, and only then when played with friends. Otherwise, consoles can suck it.

Clockwork Knight said:
Azrael the cat said:
Cassidy said:

A good* side effect of that is that by that point you will have given up and will just enjoy the new shit for what it is.

*In your diseased, tired mind, that is

Here's to hoping that the computer games actually do make us all stupider the more dumbed down they become. I think the Codex will be a much happier place when we're all drooling into our bibs with safety hats on, while banging our palms onto extra-large rubber keyboards to type 'I liek Bethda! Obliveyon iz funnn!!!'

Multi-headed Cow

petehines.jpg

Pete_Hines.jpg

Pete_Hines.jpg

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom