Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

Cromwell

Arcane
Fr people who enjoy this. If you are skilled enough for precise headshots or other bodypart shots, and I assume for the sake of argument you are otherwise it would not make sense to play in a harder, the hardest mode, then how is it different to headshotkill a enemy in easy or on the hardest. Both enemies drop after the headshot, and since you are skilled enough to almost always aim for it the bloated hp doesnt make it harder.

So if its super easy to recisely headshot one, how do you not complain about the bloated hp since it makes no difficulty difference for you? People who are bad at shooters wont play it because they die, people who are already got at it dont get an extra difficulty out of it sincethey headshot the enemies exactly as they would in any other mode, for whom then is this 1999 mode?

Heresiarch

Prophet
HP bloat isn't that a big deal if you're fighting, say 1 vs 1 or 1 vs 3.

But in this game, every fight is pitting you against at least 5 sometimes 10 enemies at the same time. And 50% of the time there's an elite mixed in.

Now, doubling enemies HP does NOT simply translate into double the fighting time. In fact, it's much more than that. Because enemies are way tougher (not to mention way more lethal), you must spend much more time hiding and waiting for shield recharge. The more time you need to hide, the more time enemies can flank you, making you having less chance and time to do precise headshots.

Let's not forget about the elite's HP. These guys work as extremely annoying meat shields because they just keep not dying despite giving them 5 headshots with a carbine. And they love going melee on you, and a single hit from the crow guy can take out 50% of your life in full shields, and you can't really move away from them without getting hit from all the 10+ goons shooting at the same time.

I don't really remember a FPS in which you must fight 5+ humans with guns on the same time, except for arcade light gun shooters. Perfectly normal looking humans got hit with my carbine in their heads leaving huge bloody faces can still aim and hit me with deadly precision. Firing 5 to 6 exploding fireballs into a crowd of 5 humans wearing clothes and surprise, 2 of them still survive. Not to mention, let's say, the fucking crow - I shock him, shot him 7 shots, shock again, shot the remaining 5 shots and he's still not dead, shock, reload, shock, fire again...

Is THAT really what 1999 games are? Heck, Barons of Hell aren't THAT tough in 1994!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fr people who enjoy this. If you are skilled enough for precise headshots or other bodypart shots, and I assume for the sake of argument you are otherwise it would not make sense to play in a harder, the hardest mode, then how is it different to headshotkill a enemy in easy or on the hardest. Both enemies drop after the headshot, and since you are skilled enough to almost always aim for it the bloated hp doesnt make it harder.

Not every enemy dies from one headshot. Most of them don't, actually, looking at the entire game. The enemies above common mobs have helmets and take at least 2 headshots, sometimes 3-4 on normal mode. The robots take a ton of damage on normal, I can only imagine them on hard or 1999.

And to be clear I am not hard mode guy. I play most modern games on normal because hard modes are just more HP for the enemies and nerf your damage. That is not fun or interesting to me. However games like Dishonored, where hard mode was said to enhance enemy awareness for stealth, or games like New Vegas which added more RPG concerns, I play on hard. In other words I play hard modes when they mean more than shoot the dude more or hide more.

I tried 1999 mode hoping it was more than it was. I quickly discovered it was a pretty average hard mode and I quit.

Azazel

Arbiter
It feels like whoever was in charge of game design said "fuck it!" and left.

Actually, IIRC they lost a massive amount of team members about a year and a half ago. Coincidentally right before they delayed the game by a year and went into radio silence. Not ironclad proof, but it certainly supports the theory that the game was entirely scrapped and redone with existing assets between July 2011 and now.

I mean, if you told me you were going to scrap what they were showing off back then and replace it with this POS? My desk would be cleaned out within an hour.

Gord

Arcane
I don't really remember a FPS in which you must fight 5+ humans with guns on the same time, except for arcade light gun shooters. Perfectly normal looking humans got hit with my carbine in their heads leaving huge bloody faces can still aim and hit me with deadly precision.

Serious Sam. Has you constantly fighting dozens of enemies of all kind.
Of course, it's also what I'd call an arcade shooter (not the ones with light guns, the ones with fast, twitch-based combat)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So ITT instead of useful feedback on the game's quality...

It's fucking Bioshock Infinite. What useful feedback could there be? Generic overproduced on-rails FPS that's piss easy and plays like an interactive movie. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew what this was years in advance. I'm assuming since you have interest in playing this you've already played Bioshocks 1 and 2. Expecting some heavy deviations from that formula?

Castanova

Prophet
This game isn't as bad as a lot of you are saying it is and it's not nearly as good as what everyone else is saying it is either. I would write an Official Codex Review giving much more detail but alas the game is not an RPG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My question for any 'reviewer' of this game is this: How much time do you think you'd spend reviewing the story, art style, aesthetics, etc. versus the actual gameplay? Most of the 'professional' reviews I've seen barely spend a fourth of the article mentioning it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Was it you who posted that RAGE video of the bossfight where you literally just popamole to victory?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Rage didn't have an ending bossfight? Wasn't it just shooting a horde of mutant peons popping in 4 unit waves?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rage didn't have an ending bossfight? Wasn't it just shooting a horde of mutant peons popping in 4 unit waves?

I don't think it was the final boss just one of them... although I've yet to play the game.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Yes, just checked, the final boss-fight is just shooting mutant peons spawning in some final data upload room. The only proper boss-fight was in the first part in the dead city, that huge mutant.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm avoiding reading most of the discussion here because I'm pretty sure I already got a spoiler, but meh. I've played a few hours, and I'm actually kind of enjoying this game for what it is, but holy damn is it linear as fuck. I'm not much of a AAA gamer, but this is bordering on the thin line between interactive movie and game. And even on Hard mode, you just respawn and enemies stay dead plus bosses keep whatever health they had left when you died.

And holy shit, this game is basically an alcoholic homeless person simulator. Why does 90% of the game consist of eating food out of dumpsters and drinking random alcohol? And why do people throw money in the trash?

I find the story and setting pretty interesting and I hear it's a short game so maybe I'll play it to completion. Maybe it's just me, too, but I find the special abilities to be mostly pointless since guns are very powerful and ammo is plentiful. A quasi-RPG upgrade system like Borderlands would have added some fun, in my opinion.

I'll read this thread and post my real impressions when I finish it or give up.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I got a laugh upon finding RPG ammo in a female toilet. But yeah, it's creepy: you're eating out of trashbins, and MALE and FEMALE CITIZENS 1 and 2 are perfectly ok with that. While being served a tea in a closed restaurant :lol: I think it's actually a mushroom addict simulator.

Monocause

Arcane
It's fucking Bioshock Infinite. What useful feedback could there be? Generic overproduced on-rails FPS that's piss easy and plays like an interactive movie. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew what this was years in advance. I'm assuming since you have interest in playing this you've already played Bioshocks 1 and 2. Expecting some heavy deviations from that formula?

No, I haven't played either of the previous games, didn't like the setting and there were enough interesting games released around that time to keep me occupied. Now, though, not much interesting has been released lately so I'd be up for trying something new. Will probably pirate it, play it for a few days, enjoy it for what it is and forget about it, as my usual policy with most of the big-budget games dictates.

Cheers to those of you who did elaborate a bit, I'll post my own impressions in two or three days.

Deleted member 7219

I liked running into the male bathroom and Elizabeth waiting outside, and calling in to check on me every 30 seconds or so. There was also a funny line of dialogue for going into the female bathrooms, "We are so gonna get arrested for this." Yeah, that, and not the 300 guys lying dead in our wake.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
My question for any 'reviewer' of this game is this: How much time do you think you'd spend reviewing the story, art style, aesthetics, etc. versus the actual gameplay? Most of the 'professional' reviews I've seen barely spend a fourth of the article mentioning it.
Game(gameplay is reduntant) is not important anymore.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
And holy shit, this game is basically an alcoholic homeless person simulator. Why does 90% of the game consist of eating food out of dumpsters and drinking random alcohol? And why do people throw money in the trash?
34rha38.jpg

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I liked running into the male bathroom and Elizabeth waiting outside, and calling in to check on me every 30 seconds or so. There was also a funny line of dialogue for going into the female bathrooms, "We are so gonna get arrested for this." Yeah, that, and not the 300 guys lying dead in our wake.

When they first encounter a Black-people-only bathroom, Elizabeth comments that she doesn't understand the segregation.

--Hello? It's fucking 1912 when racial segregation was the norm, and she has a super racist father who is working on indoctrinating her to become the next Hitler. I'm having a hard time imagining that she has never read a book about racial segregation in her 20 years of life. Maybe she does have spent all her time learning about lockpicking and quantum physics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom