Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Big Huge RPG is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Lesifoere said:
Amazingly I've never read anything of his. I'll count myself lucky.

Baldur's Gate novel. That's all you need to know. I've read a lot of stuff that could be considered banal, tripe, shit, what fucking ever, but this... abomination is probably the worst book (not even fantasy book. Book in general) I've ever read. EVER.

Angthoron

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Also, I didn't much care for The Left Hand of Darkness, but that's neither here nor there--there's a reason I recommended Birthday over it.

Well, I'll admit I hated reading the damned thing at first. The whole setting, and even the writing style felt alien - and I had to read something for a lit course I was taking so I got stuck with this. I did finish it though, and it was by the end that I realized just how awesome the book actually was and what it was trying to do. A sort of an epiphany. I'll give the Birthday a try next time I'm at the library though, thanks.

He admitted he was doing it on purpose because he knew people would lap that shit up. Good thing he's dead now.

Yeah, I remember reading something like that too. I guess I can't hold that against him, really, but what makes me rage is that he was actually right about it. People did lap it up.

@Elwro

Well, it was the first Salvatore book for me, some guy kept recommending it to me and eventually I caved in and tried to read it. Even Weis and Hickman didn't make me rage this much, in fact, some parts of Darksword setting are actually rather good (what they do with that setting is another matter, but eh, I could dig the setting, high fantasy to the max, everyone's a mage, that at least makes some sense). So yeah, it was a jarring experience, something that drove me away from Fantasy for a year or more altogether.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
95% of fantasy writing is immature shit. And dnd books are the most worthless of them all (ok, coupled with MtG and Warhammer ones).
Both featuring Salvatore and, ahem "fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control" sound absolutely atrocious.
No hopes for this one.

Bitcher

Educated
Elwro said:
@DR: Just you try to read the Polish translation of Troy Denning's "Pages of Pain". Just you try.
Damn, I was actually thinking of reading this book. Is it really that bad? I wanted something based on Planescape setting and heard much praise for it, so what is that all about?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, some of the ideas were neat; my point (heh, actually I didn't write that at all :D) was that the Polish translation is simply atrocious. Read it in English.

edit: there also was a "physically" unpublished Planescape novel available for free on the Net a few years ago, I can't find it anywhere now.

Other than Tolkien I haven't read any of the books mentioned ITT.

I guess I am the least :decline:d member of the codex.

Shannow

Waster of Time
herostratus said:
I read as little as possible. Must make me super intelligent!
Sure it does. Redding is teh hard, after all. You just keep playing your voiced-over video games and everything will stay fine *soothing sounds*

Turjan

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Goddammit, I need to revisit Earthsea. I read the first book when I was a kid and I barely remember anything from it, and I have pretty much the whole saga at home.
The Earthsea trilogy is written as a children's book, so compare it to "The Hobbit". For adults, it's a bit meh. Ursula K. LeGuin wrote quite a few other very nice books for a grown-up audience, though.

Drakron

Arcane
Elwro said:
Well, some of the ideas were neat; my point (heh, actually I didn't write that at all :D) was that the Polish translation is simply atrocious. Read it in English.

He already atrocious in English, at least in Polish I could not understand a damn thing and so having to make stuff up, making it much, much, much better.

nomask7

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
ironyuri said:
I quite enjoy R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels (the Dark Elf/Icewind Dale etc trilogies) and the Cleric Quintet. I am glad that Salvatore is contributing to a game.

(Note while I enjoy his novels as trashy fantasy they are not my favourites you Codex assholes.)

:M

I'm sorry, but even enjoying those is sufficiently indicative that you have no worth as a human being.
Salvatore wrote about a dystopian dream-land where women were in power. He showed the consequences realistically: unprecedented tyranny and a culture wholly devoted to competition for social status. AND HE GOT THE STUFF PUBLISHED. I admire him as a man.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
"Drizzt Do'Urden," gasped one of the dwarves, a fat fellow with an orange beard and an enormous temple-to-temple eyebrow.

mondblut

Arcane
ironyuri said:
Volourn said:
"Same, although from the Icewind Dale trilogy only the first book is worth a damn,"

Nah. 2nd book was better... because it focused on a dwarf more. That's huge bonus points.

I like that you like dwarves, Volourn.

I don't like dwarves, but Streams of Silver was indeed the least abominable Drizzt novel.

...or maybe it was just my first exposure to FR fiction. :retarded:

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
The first book in the trilogy introduces the reader to Elbryan Wyndon and Jilseponie Ault, two young friends whose lives are irrevocably changed by the destruction of their village of Dundalis, and Avelyn Desbris, a pious young man who enters the monastery of St.-Mere-Abelle in order to study and to serve God. Divided by the catastrophe, Elbryan and Pony (Jilseponie's nickname) struggle to sort out their lives. Elbryan is taken in by the Touel'alfar, the winged elves of Corona. Jilseponie makes her way to the city of Palmaris where she is raised by the Chilichunks, a husband and wife who own a tavern in the city. Meanwhile, Avelyn comes to terms with the all-too-human brothers of the Abellican Church and the myriad injustices he witnesses them cause.

Years will pass before the trio will meet. During their time apart Elbryan will be trained by the Touel'alfar as a ranger and takes on the name Nightbird. Meanwhile, Pony will become a barmaid at the Chilichunk's tavern, Fellowship Way and eventually enters into the military after marrying the nobleman Conner Bildeborough and then rejecting him on their wedding night; the marriage is immediately annulled. Avelyn, a promising young monk at St. Mere-Abelle begins learning the use of the powerful gemstone magic, but eventually leaves the Church after finding it to not be the holy place he had hoped for and after receiving a vision of the awakened demon dactyl. It will be up to these three, along with a group of friends and allies, to save the world from the Demon Dactyl, Bestesbulzibar, and his dark force of goblins, powries and Fomorian giants.

In order to accomplish this feat Elbryan and his friends take the people of the Timberlands, whose homes have been destroyed by the demon's army, and forge them into a guerrilla fighting force. With them, Elbryan Wyndon and his friends strike quickly at the edges of the enemy, doing all in their power to weaken them. However, it quickly becomes apparent that the only way to truly stop the encroaching darkness is to defeat the dactyl itself. Intent on this quest, the three friends, accompanied by the elves Belli'mar Juraviel and Tuntun and others, journey to the Barbican and Mount Aida to face their enemy. In the end the demon is defeated by Avelyn Desbris and his amethyst gemstone. Though they are victorious, victory comes at a high price. The monk Avelyn gives his life to end the demon dactyl's influence.

Jesus.

I read that one. On the same page I must mentioned I also seen Battlefield earth, those two things are somehow connected.

Salvatore = most unoriginal world ever
Macfarlane = 6 foot tall women with melon boobs.

mondblut

Arcane
ironyuri said:
At least Salvatore attempts to foreground issues of race and gender in a genre which is generally a bastion of regressive social attitudes

Oh shut up. Why you congoloid leftards have to masturbate at "issues of race and gender" EVERYFUCKINGWHERE?

FUCK your "social issues". Fuck them with a 10 feet pole along with niggers and women. And with you.

(take for example Robert E. Howard and the Conan series).

Written in 1920s. Yay for strawmen :roll:

A user named cat

Angthoron said:
Oh, come on, Volourn. I'll admit, his short stories are great, they're brief, creepy and to the point. Unfortunately, to make a living, he has to sell a ten-page story inflated into a seven-hundred-freaking-page novel. I tried reading that.
King is seriously the "king" of bloat and filler. The problem isn't even the length of the novels, the problem is he blabs on and on about unnecessary shit. Try reading the Stand, probably one of the worst post apocalyptic novels that's ever been held on a pedestal. I'll never understand why people liked that. I bought like 8 King novels too when I first got into horror fiction, such a mistake. The Shining was great though and I personally enjoyed IT and Duma Key, but his short stories are way better and focused.

It's a shame that a similar writer doesn't get the love he deserves. No I don't mean shitty Koontz, I'm speaking of Robert McCammon. Swan Song, Boy's Life, Usher's Passing, Stinger, Wolf's Hour, Mine, They, etc. Most of these are basically counterparts to King's novels and leagues better. None of the pointless filler, no blabbing for 200 pages on a character's past, no endless song quotes and such. Just superior storytelling.

To be more specific regarding the similarities:

Boy's Life - IT
They - Salem's Lot
Usher's Passing - The Shining
Swan Song - The Stand
Mine - Bag of Bones

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Shannow said:
"finally computers are so advanced that we can leave TB behind us"
:what:

Darth Roxor said:
Lesifoere said:
I'm hard-pressed to think of a fantasy writer that's more of a hack than Salvatore.

I raise you Philip Athans.
Oh God.

Anyway, I used to like Drizzit stories when I was a teen. I started to hate them after Salvatore did his "He/she didn't really die, he/she just got lost and they just think he/she is dead." shtick one time too much.

ironyuri

mondblut said:
ironyuri said:
At least Salvatore attempts to foreground issues of race and gender in a genre which is generally a bastion of regressive social attitudes

Oh shut up. Why you congoloid leftards have to masturbate at "issues of race and gender" EVERYFUCKINGWHERE?

FUCK your "social issues". Fuck them with a 10 feet pole along with niggers and women. And with you.

(take for example Robert E. Howard and the Conan series).

Written in 1920s. Yay for strawmen :roll:

1920s... straw man? No.

The level of writing in the 20s was much higher than fucking Robert E. Howard. Your argument is the straw man here.

Considering that the twenties produced dadaism, surrealism, continued modernism via Joyce and Woolf/the Bloomsbury Group, the fact that one retrograde neanderthal wrote Conan in the midst of it is a fact to be despised rather than held as a watermark for the decade.

Also you are shit. :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M

mondblut

Arcane
And surrealism with dadaism were like totally obsessed with the plight of niggers and women's role in the society, yeah :roll:

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Shannow said:
ironyuri said:
I quite enjoy R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels (the Dark Elf/Icewind Dale etc trilogies) and the Cleric Quintet. I am glad that Salvatore is contributing to a game.
Prepare for codex hate. Lesi will just be the start (I think she was raped by Drizzt. He's black after all)...
But so you feel better. I liked them too when I was a kid and I still consider them to be far from as awful as people here like to claim.

Unfortunately, whenever anyone mentions writing, books, dialog... whatever, you just know Lesi will popup with her 2c (usually derogatory). She thinks she's an expert on literary pros, forgetting writing is an art form and like all art forms it's purely subjective. I like Jackson Pollock paintings because they remind me of the stains on my bedroom walls and ceiling so bite me.

Shannow said:
Added Rolston, "And we've added something new that we've always wanted from the genre -- a fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control and immersive, discoverable gameplay fans haven't seen before in other fantasy RPGs."
Gods, why? Why the fuck do devs of aRPGs always come up with this shit?
I really don't mind aRPGs once in a while. The problem is that the fucking genre is fucking full of those and that they're fucking not making any TB RPGs. That coupled with
"finally computers are so advanced that we can leave TB behind us"

Actually they (majors) don't make TB games anymore because the general public don't want them. It's all market driven unfortunately. TB is considered old, unnecessary and boring to the modern casual gamer. Civ is about the only exception I can think of here - but it's a mega-franchise with a huge fanbase built up over the years . I'm actually suprised they havn't turned it into an FPS by now - maybe Civ VI?.

It's fucking tragic, but there's not a lot we can do about it. :decline:

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
ironyuri said:
Some people won't let the bastion of regressive politics stand, I guess they have to destroy everything that is beautiful.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nothing wrong with a bit of regressive PCness if your main character is a barbarian.
37833_143025055713881_112956242054096_433900_1331810_n.jpg

Mass Effect, on the other hand, pisses me off.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Lesifoere said:
.. those with shitty tastes.

See, that's exactly what I mean. "Taste(s)" being the operative word and "shitty" the subjective bit.

Actually, I tend to agree with your taste in writing and writers, but...

Lesifoere said:
ironyuri said:

I'm sorry, but even enjoying those is sufficiently indicative that you have no worth as a human being.

.. I don't imply that people with different tastes forfeit their right to exist, let alone have an opinion. You're becomming the skyway of literature. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom