Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Beyond Shadowgate

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
2 stretch goals achieved, 2 more, and 23 days to go.

SG-stretchgoals.gif

LostHisMarbles

Learned
What 'what'? :)
Make a news post! It's a new definition of RPG adventure, where we roleplay the protagonist in an adventure game, it's all good.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Why are they going with the old pixel art aesthetic? Was the remake of the first game bad?
It wasn't bad, it's just an aesthetic decision. Without color palette limitation they can create a more vibrant pixel art game that gives you the feel of the original.

Shinji

Savant
Why are they going with the old pixel art aesthetic? Was the remake of the first game bad?
The studio they've hired (GrahfMetal Games) previously worked on games with a similar aesthetic.
They probably saw this as an opportunity to make another Shadowgate in a similar style.

Fictive Cunt

Novice
Is there a huge difference between the original NES version and the PC version?
Hg101 has many great comparisons from versions of older games. If you're curious which version of a game to try, it's worth checking there to see if there's an article.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shadowgate/

Incidentally I kind of like the idea of the first-person Famicom translation. "My head has been cracked open!!"

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hold up, I'm confused here.. Is this a remake of the sequel to the first game that they made for the TurboGrax CD back in 1993 called Beyond Shadowgate? I was just yesterday testing it out in an emulator while adding more games to my TurboGrafx CD library. Or did they forget that they actually already made this game, lol? I must have missed something but there doesn't seem to be any mention of the actual game with that title while this is being presented as a brand new Shadowgate game.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think that I've found the answers. It's in the FAQ section of their kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/beyond-shadowgate/faqs#project_faq_421110
I see, ok yea I totally missed that! Strange, I know it was for NEC but always thought that he was involved in it.. oh well, I love the look of the originals and am happy with the shape this one appears to be taking, so I'm excited for it. I just was very confused haha

Very nice. :incline:

I refuse to use Kickstarter anymore, but I will gladly throw some cash at the developers when the game comes to Steam or is released as early access.

TheSoul

Scholar
Demo and Death Scenes. This kickstarter reminded me I never bought the remake.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I was thinking about giving the demo a try but I don't want to spoil it. I'll wait for the full release.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I just recently reinstalled the remake after shelving it for a number of years. It was well done but I just couldn't bother finishing it. This looks way more up my alley. There's tons of great newer point and click games, but not nearly enough in the Shadowgate style.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Hey everyone!

We're definitely coming down the home stretch. Our Producer and lead Designer Chris Moseley has today's update...

Game Update

In the last few months, the team completed implementing all of the Kickstarter Stretch Goal additional chapters including Deja Vu, Uninvited, and the Mines of Mythrok. The game is now a whopping 240 screens, certainly much larger than the anticipated amount when we launched our Kickstarter!

The team is currently finalizing chapters to prepare for beta testing, and has verified 4 of 11 chapters complete. This includes extensive testing/playing through a chapter, noting whether the gameplay, art, sound effects and text are in sync for the theme of the area, squashing bugs, and polishing. This process is complicated as Del will visit some locations repeatedly as he travels through Kal Torlin, with events and NPC’s changing over time. It’s hours of playing and replaying areas but the good news is that the chapters are awesome and capture the look and feel of the original NES Shadowgate!

As well, we've gotten great feedback from the community in our Discord, and impressions from the demo are helping us put little improvements into the game. We appreciate it a ton!

The roadmap to completion still includes: finalizing the remaining 7 chapters and multiple endings, controller implementation, Steam integration, Achievement implementation (we are hovering around 30!), and beta testing.

Our target release date is this summer.

BSG1.png

BSG2.png

BSG3.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom