Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This comment looks this way, on mobile. Clicking the link takes you to a new tab just with the image displayed. Ideally, it just displays correctly in the quote like a normal hotlinked image.
It's an XF2 performance optimization. Some things need to be taken into account when undoing it such as not displaying GD images outside of GD.

Generally the problem with images and quotes is that people don't trim them, not the opposite. So this would probably make the forum experience worse 75% of the time when viewing quotes of attached images.

Ryzer

Arcane
Xenforo is shit, an hideous overbloated mess tanking up RAM like candy.
Back then, websites in basic HTML, no JS and bit of CSS did the job and took less than 1MB of RAM while doing the same basic functionalities.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This comment looks this way, on mobile. Clicking the link takes you to a new tab just with the image displayed. Ideally, it just displays correctly in the quote like a normal hotlinked image.
It's an XF2 performance optimization. Some things need to be taken into account when undoing it such as not displaying GD images outside of GD.

Generally the problem with images and quotes is that people don't trim them, not the opposite. So this would probably make the forum experience worse 75% of the time when viewing quotes of attached images.
Are you sure what I’m suggesting would make such a drastic difference? Image and media embeds all display in quotes already, whether mobile or not. It’s just this one class of images, those uploaded directly to the forum, that behave like my image above. I have trouble understanding how switching them from “view attachment” to inline render would require the undoing of a host of foundational performance optimizations resulting in 75% worse performance of the forum as a whole.

It sounds a bit like saying changing the oil in my car caused the US to invade Iraq.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I have trouble understanding how switching them from “view attachment” to inline render would require the undoing of a host of foundational performance optimizations resulting in 75% worse performance of the forum as a whole.
I'll install an addon if you have one.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I have trouble understanding how switching them from “view attachment” to inline render would require the undoing of a host of foundational performance optimizations resulting in 75% worse performance of the forum as a whole.
What’s the technical name for the feature by which we attach image files to posts?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
What’s the technical name for the feature by which we attach image files to posts?
No idea, but it's not implemented in:

src/XF/BbCode/Renderer/ApiHtml.php
public function renderTagAttach(array $children, $option, array $tag, array $options)

modifying xenforo would be a lot easier if it consisted of patching the source rather than making addons through their shitty extension points.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Are you sure what I’m suggesting would make such a drastic difference? Image and media embeds all display in quotes already, whether mobile or not. It’s just this one class of images, those uploaded directly to the forum, that behave like my image above. I have trouble understanding how switching them from “view attachment” to inline render would require the undoing of a host of foundational performance optimizations resulting in 75% worse performance of the forum as a whole.

It sounds a bit like saying changing the oil in my car caused the US to invade Iraq.
I wasn't talking about performance, but laying out the background behind the code's present state. The takeaway is that the code path where attachments are from outside the current post and have to be fetched is left unimplemented.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member

agris

Arcane
Patron
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/remove-attach-limits.5618/
$35 for a few lines of code? That sucks.
buy it, read the code, then return. it's the Walmart way.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I'm merging xenforo templates after an upgrade. Ping me or quote this post if there's anything wrong with the userbox now.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
- Tagged users now show as bold in the preview window (it's still mostly styled in its own way, however).
- When in the editor, the bottom margin after a quoted block is larger so that people don't accidentally create a new paragraph after a quote (which is TRIGGERING when reading their posts).
- Fix accidental non-styling of the 'Account details' preferences page on the fluid layout. This wasn't fully tested. Report bugs!
- Smaller WISYWIG editor toolbars (such as on mobile) have more buttons now. Report issues with small toolbars being too long. It works fine on my desktop PC when resizing it but you never know how mobile browsers render it.
- WISYWIG editor buttons now have a consistent order between page widths (mobile vs PC, small mobile display vs large mobile display etc).
- Renamed Fluid -> Full Width in style names.

TL;DR report issues with the editor's toolbar buttons on PC and mobile, etc.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Rate this post YES if you use horizontal lines in the WYSIWYG editor (such as within PMs) and don't like their margin/padding between paragraphs.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Is performance hit or miss or is it just my internet? Seems like I get random slowdowns.

(One just before this post.)

edit: no, I think it's my internet. nvm :(

Syl

Cipher
I don't like the permanent line at the top. It just reduces the screen size.
Is there any way to disable this?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This is basically the future of forums now. Just have to learn to adjust. I hated it at first too. It is nice always having the notification icon where you can see it at least.

Syl

Cipher
This is basically the future of forums now. Just have to learn to adjust. I hated it at first too. It is nice always having the notification icon where you can see it at least.
If it was only the notification bell, why not.

ds

Cipher
Patron
This being the world wide web made up of hypertext documents styled with cascading stylesheets and rendered by a user agent under your control you can make it look however you want if you care enough. In this case it takes only a simple rule to escape the clutches of the sticky nav bar:
Code:
.p-navSticky { position: relative !important }

(note: I don't use this override, my screen is big enough that I don't care)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I just realized that you can embed github gists.

Except I can't get it to format LaTeX math while embedding. It works fine when clicking on the link though.

But this works:

https://mathembed.online

It's going to be useful for the Codex Workshop.

If you know how to style iframes, show me some HTML code. I was trying to style using onload adding a DOM style element or editing body.style directly and it didn't work.

I guess the forum could host its own modified KaTeX script but I'd like to avoid this if possible. Embedding without an iframe is unacceptable as well.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
When are we going to get the ability to roll a die like in the old forum,it has been over a year now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom