Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

corvax

Augur
worm has a point
too many people here a bitchin' with no rational basis...get over it...all of you

taks

Liturgist
Worm said:
Just say that you all are incredibly negative about BethSoft making a game because you didn't like their previous games. Don't act like you know what they are going to do though.
hmmm, i would have to reply: no and no. in no particular order.

skeptical != incredibly negative. i am certainly skeptical.

skeptical != predicting the future. i can certainly "guess" at their style, which is what most here are doing (though some claim that as a certainty). nothing wrong with this concept since, well, all we have to go on is past performance! it's not much of a stretch to assume bethsoft will continue their style into any new IP they develop, whether it's their own or something licensed.

if everyone here is so negative, i'm sure you know you don't have to sit and read it all... let the codex folk gripe among themselves and i'm pretty sure your life won't be torn asunder...

taks

triCritical

Erudite
Worm said:
Yeah, why didn't Morrowind follow Fallout's example? Oh, because it was a different game? If anything BethSoft knows how to follow suit of their sequels!

I wan't comparing it to Fallout really. Is I why people found that at most Morrowind had one good town. Because they were essentially all the same.

taks

Liturgist
what makes you think that? given some of the codex "burns" i've been witness to, i'd find it highly unlikely...
taks

taks

Liturgist
ahhh... got it. well, given that his first post was nothing other than an entirely unrelated flame, i'm not surprised. signing up simply to call everybody a monkey isn't really a good thing, particularly while using bad grammar. :)
taks

corvax

Augur
taks said:
Worm said:
if everyone here is so negative, i'm sure you know you don't have to sit and read it all... let the codex folk gripe among themselves and i'm pretty sure your life won't be torn asunder...
taks

this wasn't directed at me but i'll put in my 2c

althouhg i haven't posted here i found codex to be one of the few places that shares most my views regarding gaming...but what is happening today is really sad...
people bitchin' whining saying the world is going to end etc. that's childish...fallout done by bethesda will be a good game...fallout done by troika would be better...am i gonna be a bitch and cry about it? fuck no!...i'm happy that's something is being done

as far as anyone else developing f3 c'mon
bioware sucks ass, produces combat grinders with poor romances so bunch a pathetic losers can masturbate while they play
obsidian...star wars wtf???
bis with vb??? that was a joke...perfect combination of real time and turn based, yeah right
troika was the best choice but since things went in a different direction bethesda seems reasonable to step up...and that's without worthles speculations

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I SHOCKED THE MONKEY!

He's the first ban in over a year. It's pretty much a no-no, because banning someone from the RPG Codex locks them out of the entire site. That's typically no fun for anyone, but given how stupid his post was, I figured I'd make a nice example of it so he can go back and tell his buddies that he can no longer see anything on the site now. Then they can all debate the merits and demerits of doing stupid bullshit like that again.

triCritical

Erudite
I think Bethesda has the potential to make a good FO3, I have been saying that all along. Daggerfall was good and Morrowind was worse. However, they were both quality and they did not technically develop PotC.

However, so far all I have heard is that they are not going to stray from there ES formula. This is a hugely bad idea, because ES is the anti-FO! Not to say that an anti-FO is a bad game, because its not, however, FO3 the anti-FO would be a bad game.

Greenskin13

Erudite
hussar said:
bethesda seems reasonable to step up

How? Bethesda themselves already stated they're not good with isometric top down games, which Fallout was. What other things about Fallout aren't they good at? Character interection? TB comabt? The SPECIAL system?

taks

Liturgist
the same reason i'm here... this group generally has a decent understanding of gaming in general. i'm not surprised people are POed, however... not in the least. what surprises me, is that the NMA folk haven't gone off the deep end (at least, not the last time i was over there). maybe they're all so jaded (this is attempt 3 or 4 at FO3...) they just don't care anymore... cynicism i suppose.

very funny, tricrit... i wonder how many banned folk there are? this guy managed with his first post! (of course, as i implied that's probably the ONLY way to get banned... hehe.)

taks

taks

Liturgist
as were were surmising, St_P.

Shock the monkey... monkey... monkeeeeeyyyy...

taks

Ausir

Arcane
Volourn said:
"I know it sounds crazy but yes, we wanted the original creators of the setting to continue working on it. Duh!"

Liar. If that were true, you'd be wanting Interplay/BIS to develop itnot some company that didn't even exist when FO came out!

It's the main people behind the concept of the game that matter, not the company. Just like it's mostly the director and writer that are to praise or blame for a movie. In the case of Fallout, the main people responsible for the game were Jason Anderson, Tim Cain, Leon Boyarsky and Chris Taylor, three of which founded Troika. As the original creators we mean these three people, not the company.

corvax

Augur
Greenskin13 said:
hussar said:

How? Bethesda themselves already stated they're not good with isometric top down games, which Fallout was. What other things about Fallout aren't they good at? Character interection? TB comabt? The SPECIAL system?

not good? they haven't done any!
advice: don't take the pr talk too seriously, don't assume that they will make a clone of morrowind...i agree that we may not see tb combat or special or both in fo3...character interaction played a different role in mw and fallout...bethesda has proven good at creating believable & immersive environments with well thought out lore (better than d&d in my opinion)...that's all i want from fallout

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Avin, irreveant poppycock. They didn't make FO. Deal with it. They helped make FO. That is all.

And, omg, someone got banned and it wasn't me. WOWSERS! I've been trying to be ban for over a year. LOL (j/k :lol: ); but still.. To be banned from Codex. That's both sad and cool on the guy's part at the same time. WOWSERS!

I have no sympathy for people being banned if they don't at least try to make points while flaming. flame us all if you want; but do it with substance.. :shock:

Greenskin13

Erudite
hussar said:
not good? they haven't done any!

Those aren't my word.

that's all i want from fallout

And for the rest of the fans who want to have the full Fallout experience? It all comes down to who wants what. I want Fallout, and you want a believable and immersive environment. Well that's fine, but I don't see why you get to stick Fallout's name on your game. What I'd like is a true Fallout sequel, not a different game with the same setting.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
taks said:
very funny, tricrit... i wonder how many banned folk there are? this guy managed with his first post! (of course, as i implied that's probably the ONLY way to get banned... hehe.)

In the 2+ years RPG Codex has been in operation, 4 people have been banned forever. I think we banned Pooperscooper for a few days because he did something bad.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
hussar said:
i agree that we may not see tb combat or special or both in fo3..

Hussy, when they start questioning whether the game will have SPECIAL or not, I start questioning if they're actually making Fallout 3.

Ausir

Arcane
Volourn said:
Avin, irreveant poppycock. They didn't make FO. Deal with it. They helped make FO. That is all.

If so, you could say the same about any movie director or writer, then.

dunduks

Liturgist
hussar said:
advice: don't take the pr talk too seriously, don't assume that they will make a clone of morrowind...i agree that we may not see tb combat or special or both in fo3...character interaction played a different role in mw and fallout...bethesda has proven good at creating believable & immersive environments with well thought out lore (better than d&d in my opinion)...that's all i want from fallout
Yay, so thats the optimistic viewpoint, huh? I might be biased, but if you take out SPECIAL, how can you even call that Fallout - that is what everyone are worried about. In sequels people generally want same thing, but bigger, better (in minor aspects such as graphics), more story, now imagine your favourite movie action hero who is all manly and righteous, gets transormed in a sequel to ugly, pathetic kletptomaniac transvestite junkie, I'd say you'd be pretty pissed of.

Worm

Liturgist
Greenskin13 said:
hussar said:

I could swear I posted this before.

Caring about the prespective of the game is pedantic to the point of absurdity cubed. Hating a sequel simply because they don't follow the display convention of the prequels is just idiotic.

Furthermore the only people who have trouble with Fallout rip offs is Trioka. BethSoft hasn't made any attempt at anything like Fallout, so how can you just sit and assume they won't get most of the parts right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom