Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Worm

Liturgist
Flink said:
Captain Clueless strikes again! Have a lolly!:roll:
Yeah, I know Roleplayers Lament is the best known community ever and I should get the news letter about your pretend fight with Interplay or whatever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I know it sounds crazy but yes, we wanted the original creators of the setting to continue working on it. Duh!"

Liar. If that were true, you'd be wanting Interplay/BIS to develop itnot some company that didn't even exist when FO came out!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We actually liked Arcanum, although the flaws are noted and discussed. Despite those flaws, Arcanum is a true role-playing game, which is much more then could be said about way to many other games that are being passed for RPGs lately.

taks

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
We actually liked Arcanum, although the flaws are noted and discussed. Despite those flaws, Arcanum is a true role-playing game, which is much more then could be said about way to many other games that are being passed for RPGs lately.
i must agree completely here...

in spite of the fact i didn't get into arcanum, i found it MUCH more engaging than MW... as a matter of fact, the problem i had with MW was the "go down the list and pick the relevant word" which is about as much about roleplaying as ultima 8's "super mario" additions were...

taks

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"I know it sounds crazy but yes, we wanted the original creators of the setting to continue working on it. Duh!"

Liar. If that were true, you'd be wanting Interplay/BIS to develop itnot some company that didn't even exist when FO came out!
Not again, Volourn. I said "creators": cre-a-tors. Not Troika, not Tim Cain, but creators. How is your reading comprehension doing lately?

Worm

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Look, this isn't fucking Square that got the contract. I feel I need to clear that up with you mopey face painted fuckers.

Daggerfall didn't have dialogue tree NPCs due to the nature of the game, they all were supporting actors. Morrowind had some fine NPCs just not ones that wanted to talk to you forever about everything. That's how those games worked, that is how the Elder Scrolls games were supposed to work, you were the damn hero you saved the day, and the fact that a whole continent was created for you was the point.

I mean why do you immediately think they are going to botch this? Because they make Elder Scroll games in the way they've always been made? GASP! I don't think we are going to get an Elder Scrolls game. I think they are going to make a Fallout game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Fallout 3: Redguard Returns

Oh yeah, speaking of Redguard. Redguard! Remember that? REDGUARD. These are the people who are making Fallout 3, everyone.

I'd have actually had some hope for a good game if Square attained the license.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Please, VD. everyone knew who ya meant. Don't play coy. :D

Worm

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Fallout 3: Redguard Returns

Oh yeah, speaking of Redguard. Redguard! Remember that? REDGUARD. These are the people who are making Fallout 3, everyone.

I'd have actually had some hope for a good game if Square attained the license.
HEY REMEMBER SOMETHING FROM LONG LONG AGO? WHATEVER IT TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT PERSON, COMPANY, OR CONSTRUCT THEN STILL STANDS TRUE AND FOREVER WILL!

I mean how else am I going to reply? Soon you're going to be pulling up their High School art projects. Arcanum and ToEE(I hear) do suck presently. Yes, Bethsoft has not always been wrapped in the warm glow of infallibility.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
Morrowind had some fine NPCs just not ones that wanted to talk to you forever about everything.

um... which one? i'm curious. first play through i thought fargoth was a decent npc, then i talked to second npc, who said the exact same things, in the exact same way. this continued on until i met dagoth ur.

i did find having the god-king vivec discuss his views on daedric temples being the exact same as shenk's to be interesting. not in a positive way though.

by hour five the only npc i really cared about was the creeper, because he actually had money.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Worm said:
Look, this isn't fucking Square that got the contract. I feel I need to clear that up with you mopey face painted fuckers.
Oh my, what a strong language. Now everyone will take you seriously. :roll:

That's how those games worked, that is how the Elder Scrolls games were supposed to work, you were the damn hero you saved the day, and the fact that a whole continent was created for you was the point.
Exactly, and that's the only kind of RPGs Bethesda knows how to make. What if ID got the Fallout license? Would you still say it's ok, Doom was a different kind of a game? Well, that's the whole point.

Worm

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Worm said:
That's how those games worked, that is how the Elder Scrolls games were supposed to work, you were the damn hero you saved the day, and the fact that a whole continent was created for you was the point.
Exactly, and that's the only kind of RPGs Bethesda knows how to make. What if ID got the Fallout license? Would you still say it's ok, Doom was a different kind of a game? Well, that's the whole point.
Yes, you are right. BethSoft isn't as much people who think and understand what Fallout is as they are robots who produce the same type of game over and over because they lack the intellectual ability to know to make a sequel to a game like the ones that came before it.
mr. lamat said:
Morrowind had some fine NPCs just not ones that wanted to talk to you forever about everything.

um... which one? i'm curious. first play through i thought fargoth was a decent npc, then i talked to second npc, who said the exact same things, in the exact same way. this continued on until i met dagoth ur.

i did find having the god-king vivec discuss his views on daedric temples being the exact same as shenk's to be interesting. not in a positive way though.

by hour five the only npc i really cared about was the creeper, because he actually had money.
I'm tired of this "every NPC needs a story" crap. The large amounts of NPCs in Morrowind were like the cloned NPCs in Fallout and Fallout 2. Those that did have special dialogues really didn't feel like shooting the breeze with you, they usually had an agenda. I mean is it just that you think: RPGs = DIALOGUE TREES? If that's all you really believe I don't even see why we would exchange ideas.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Vault Dweller said:
Worm said:
Yes, you are right. BethSoft isn't as much people who think and understand what Fallout is as they are robots who produce the same type of game over and over because they lack the intellectual ability to know to make a sequel to a game like the ones that came before it.
mr. lamat said:

I'm tired of this "every NPC needs a story" crap. The large amounts of NPCs in Morrowind were like the cloned NPCs in Fallout and Fallout 2. Those that did have special dialogues really didn't feel like shooting the breeze with you, they usually had an agenda. I mean is it just that you think: RPGs = DIALOGUE TREES? If that's all you really believe I don't even see why we would exchange ideas.
Interesting NPC's=Better game. NPC's that don't repeat the same things over and over again are not preferable to Unique NPC's. Interesting NPC's are one of the reasons I love Japanese RPG's so much. Why don't you?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I mean is it just that you think: RPGs = DIALOGUE TREES? If that's all you really believe I don't even see why we would exchange ideas.

Wow you're dumb. Maybe we like dialog trees cause they allow to better identify with the NPC and actually provide meaningfull roleplaying, more than just asking for silly info.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i dunno, i'm fond of crpgs having dialogue trees. they're somewhat interesting and make the gameplay multifaceted. they add depth to the gameworld and give my choices in the game some merit, albeit an esoteric one, that extends beyond which character model becomes my defacto quest dispenser.

are they required for slapping rpg on the box and having the rest on a particular shelf at a given game store? by no means.

you stated there were some fine npcs in morrowind, by that i gathered you meant finely crafted, well written and interesting. i'm just curious as to which one you were referring to?

if the creeper was 'fine' because he didn't spew the same generic responses and had more cash than most, we can agree.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
I mean is it just that you think: RPGs = DIALOGUE TREES? If that's all you really believe I don't even see why we would exchange ideas.

Wow you're dumb. Maybe we like dialog trees cause they allow to better identify with the NPC and actually provide meaningfull roleplaying, more than just asking for silly info.

You filthy dialogue tree hugger.

Worm

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:

Yeah, I guess it's nice if you are playing the "MYSTERIOUS HERO EVERYONE IN TOWN IS IMMEDIATELY INTERESTED WITH AND BEGUILED WITH".

mr. lamat said:
i dunno, i'm fond of crpgs having dialogue trees. they're somewhat interesting and make the gameplay multifaceted. they add depth to the gameworld and give my choices in the game some merit, albeit an esoteric one, that extends beyond which character model becomes my defacto quest dispenser.

are they required for slapping rpg on the box and having the rest on a particular shelf at a given game store? by no means.

you stated there were some fine npcs in morrowind, by that i gathered you meant finely crafted, well written and interesting. i'm just curious as to which one you were referring to?

if the creeper was 'fine' because he didn't spew the same generic responses and had more cash than most, we can agree.
God, I don't remember any specific NPCs, but most of the major ones and even some of the minor quest ones were intresting to me at least. Uhhmm, Casius, The guy with the talking Guar, the Various Camp leaders.

Lasakon said:
Interesting NPC's=Better game. NPC's that don't repeat the same things over and over again are not preferable to Unique NPC's. Interesting NPC's are one of the reasons I love Japanese RPG's so much. Why don't you?
Yeah, that's so much like life you know. Everyone you've known for about a day or two is your friend, is interested in you, and not in anyone else. The NPCs in Morrowind are about as interested in you as they are in one another.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Yeah, that's so much like life you know. Everyone you've known for about a day or two is your friend, is interested in you, and not in anyone else. The NPCs in Morrowind are about as interested in you as they are in one another.
Just like everyone in life loves to give out thier encyclopedic knowledge of the world to anyone who walks by.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Worm said:

Hello you dimwitted asshole, what don't you understand about there doesn't need to be a sequel?, why the fuck do you think that anyone expect the core folks that made the original two game are going to make something decent?
(Even they had those non repeatable "right time. right place" moments)
Buying the license at this point is about nothing but dollars signs flashing in the head of someone who runs a company that can't think of anything "new" to do.
Didn't the last two Fallout abortions convince that all the genius out there trying reinvent the game wouldn't know "what" made the game cool if you poured it boiling hot down their stupid throats?
It's just like your favorite band dying in a plane crash and then their roadies decide to "carry the torch". nobody gives a fuck..

Worm

Liturgist
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Just like everyone in life loves to give out thier encyclopedic knowledge of the world to anyone who walks by.
Yeah, because it's a computer game, the play constantly needs iinfo, but NPCs who don't give a shit about me doesn't detract from my experience.

Lasakon

Liturgist
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Worm said:
Lasakon said:
Yeah, because it's a computer game, the play constantly needs iinfo, but NPCs who don't give a shit about me doesn't detract from my experience.
Your realism example failed so you suddenly go with a "it's just a game" argument. Clever.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
"MYSTERIOUS HERO EVERYONE IN TOWN IS IMMEDIATELY INTERESTED WITH AND BEGUILED WITH".

you were a traveller in a desolate land (this is a story choice, not the same desolation morrowind's world consisted of) so it would only make sense that people would take an interest in the only new person to wander into the village that year. he/she would probably get more attention if they carried one of the rarest commodities, a functioning gun. the pc was an oddity in a world were people lived harsh, short and dreary lives.

the beguiling was due to points spent on the skill of speech.

God, I don't remember any specific NPCs, but most of the major ones and even some of the minor quest ones were intresting to me at least. Uhhmm, Casius, The guy with the talking Guar, the Various Camp leaders.

multiple quest generator, single quest generator and pointless quest generators...

pc: 'uh... hey dood, i'm here to preserve your way of life and expell the usurper trash from your lands on my way to becoming the living diety of our people.'

ashkahn: 'awesome, but i need you to go into town and pick me a up a whore first before i can canonize you. sorry, i know it's my salvation and all, but nothing is free, right?'

zero interaction and zero depth. i'm sure we still agree about the creeper, or are you more of a mudcrab man? everyone does play favourites.

once again, refer to the traveller in a bleak land remark. most npcs didn't see you as a friend but a means to an end. they used you for their own needs because the pc was unknown, disposable and well armed... a rare commodity in the fictional world of fallout.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Take a look at Arcanum, worm.

When you're walking through Tarant, people will just walk you by, just like in Morrowind.When you accost them, they will be friendly, formal or polite, or tell you to sod off if you have low charisma/bad reputation. THAT is a correct implementation of what you're talking about. They wil help friendly charismatic strangers, they are polite to normal strangers and they tell the ugly bastard Orc to bugger off.

In Morrowind, they either tell you everything they know in Encyclopedia form, or they attack you. No other option.

To me, Arcanum felt alive. Tarant felt like a city. Morrowind doesn't have that feeling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom