Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bestest Online Strategy/Tactics Games - you tell me!

Fresh

Erudite
I haven't been playing strategy/tactics games online for a long, long time. Tell me what I should go play right now. (keyword online = human opponents)

Both competetive and coop games are interesting.

Something squad-based (think JA2) would be just peachy, but I'm open to suggestions (space battles, medieval combat, whatever).

EDIT: Oh and übertwitchy RTS-games aren't what I'm looking for.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Meh, I haven't found anything godly so far. If you're willing to play animanga shit, check Dofus out. More like Doofus, at least it's turn-based. Maybe Battle for Wesnoth too?

Voss

Erudite
Before anything else, learn something about English grammar and inject yourself with tranquilizers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Both suck ass. I would recommend Ogre Battle 64 over Wesnoth/Doofus... or just re-play Jagged Alliance 2.

Fresh

Erudite
What about latest CIV? Latest HOMM? FOT online? Medieval II?

baby arm said:
You can try PoxNora, Bang Howdy, or Naked War. Brigade E5 has multiplayer, but it's RTwP (though the best RTwP implementation I've seen so far). Many wargames have PBEM if you're looking for something more "serious".

Tactica Online would have been what you're looking for if it hadn't been canceled.

Thx for the suggestions. I've been reading about Brigade E5 for a while, but didn't know it could be played online. I'll def. check it out.

A shame about Tactica. It looked very promising indeed.

aweigh said:
Both suck ass. I would recommend Ogre Battle 64 over Wesnoth/Doofus... or just re-play Jagged Alliance 2.

I'm playing JA2 1.13 atm. Too bad there's no multiplayer.

Voss said:
Before anything else, learn something about English grammar and inject yourself with tranquilizers.

obediah

Erudite
no tactics, but if you have a year check out Travian. It's an empire sim, so their is army and city building and lots and lots of diplomacy. The best browser game I've stumbled upon by far.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
homm v's art style is terrible. it looks like low-rent world of warcraft fanart... and the colors are blinding.

is it any good?

Celebaglar

Novice
A bit late, but...

You could visit us at Midnight/MU. It's on on-line war-game inspired by Mike Singleton's 80's classic Lords of Midnight and it seems to tick most of your boxes. Don't forget to register on the forum too as documentation is weak but the community is friendly and you can play as many training games as you need to pick up the rules. Oh, and it's free! :)

P.S. Beware: Retro graphics! If this puts you off Midnight/MU is not for you. I know a lot of folks here like the ultra-glossy look. ;)

JoKa

Cipher
what about alpha centauri? waaaaaay better than the newer civs...and there's already a hamachi codex-network running... ;)

wesnoth is cool, too.

Severian Silk

You could try Laser Squad Nemesis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom