Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best video game of the pirate variety?

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm in the mood to play a pirate game, for PC or any console, really. Any recommendations? I played the 'Sid Meier's Pirate!' remake when it came out but it ran like shit on my computer at the time. Is it any good? I'm sure there must be something better out there.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Pirates! remake is pretty fun. Why not give it a try if you can run it properly this time? At least you'll make your own opinion that way.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Those really do sum it all up. If you can't get the remake to run try Pirates! Gold. It's an older remake that is much more faithfull to the original. Or get an amiga emulator and try the original Pirates! It's still a blast and looks quite good.

DraQ

Arcane
Trash said:
Those really do sum it all up. If you can't get the remake to run try Pirates! Gold. It's an older remake that is much more faithfull to the original. Or get an amiga emulator and try the original Pirates! It's still a blast and looks quite good.
I played the c64 version quite a bit back in the day...

A user named cat

There's also Tropico 2. Pretty decent sequel.

Unfortunately not many games have capitilized on the pirate theme, quite a few stinkers. Games like Sea Dogs come to mind.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I had a friend, whose opinion I trust, that said he enjoyed one of the 'Sea Dogs' games.

Other than that, the first two Monkey Island games are without question the best pirate games ever made.

Truman

Scholar
Sid Meier's Pirates! is terrific. Make sure you get a Royal Sloop or a Sloop of War. Once you have a fast ship, there's nothing better than just swooping around thunderstorms in a big cartoony world.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Tall and lean, with azure eyes that penetrate deep into your soul, he makes your blood quicken despite his unsavory past. When you're in his arms, swirling around the dance floor or secluded in the flowered depths of the gazebo, you are apt to forget your mission.

plundered1.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The first Sea Dogs was pretty fun, even if buggy like fuck.

Corsairs is also decent.

saenz

Scholar
Tardvapor said:
Koei's Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons on SNES is pretty decent.

Uncharted Waters 2 was definitely an underappreciated gem. Combat was kinda screwy, but I enjoyed the exploration and trading immensely.

Sadly KOEI used to make fairly interesting strategy/rpgs before they got fixated on churning out a Dynasty Warriors game every 6 months. Look up" Celtic Tales - Balor of the Evil Eye" for proof the KOEI once had an imagination.

circ

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Tall and lean, with azure eyes that penetrate deep into your soul, he makes your blood quicken despite his unsavory past. When you're in his arms, swirling around the dance floor or secluded in the flowered depths of the gazebo, you are apt to forget your mission.

plundered1.jpg

Are you paying attention Gaider?

saenz said:
Tardvapor said:

Uncharted Waters 2 was definitely an underappreciated gem. Combat was kinda screwy, but I enjoyed the exploration and trading immensely.

Sadly KOEI used to make fairly interesting strategy/rpgs before they got fixated on churning out a Dynasty Warriors game every 6 months. Look up" Celtic Tales - Balor of the Evil Eye" for proof the KOEI once had an imagination.

Yeah, the Uncharted Waters series as a whole was pretty damn good. Unfortunately Koei turned it into a damn MMO so it is incredibly doubtful there will ever be any more games from that series. Quite a shame.

dscape750

Novice
Tardvapor said:

I don't know why but that game just did it for me. I loved it, have to say it's the best I've played.
I heard about an Uncharted Waters MMO but typical KOEI bullshit only released it in asia. Actually I don't know if it was released at all. I think it's TBD still. Probably scrapped because KOEI is shit and ignores their customers.

Still, that was an awesome game. My favorite of that sort personally.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I agree, Uncharted Waters 2 was a wildly cool game. Big world that seemed to run without having you be the center of attention. A lot of different avenues for gaining gold. Story intertwined and different for each character. And if I am not mistaken, there were random elements in the story.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
In my opinion this genre is dead, because today hardly any boy reads sea novels and instead grow up with ideas that pirates are grumpy fellas with eye patches.

Fuck all the people who plaster this or similar threads with recommendations to play Akella crap or the 2004 remake, these games are for schmucks. If you think PotC was a great movie, and are looking for something in its vein, then fuck you too.

After the 8bit version (and the two faithful remakes on the Amiga and PC) there haven't been that many decent games. One that is quite good is Cutthroats. I also liked the naval comabt in Age of Sail. I heard that Uncharted Waters was very good but afaik it was never released on the PC. I would stay away from EIC, too.

Quilty

Magister
I played the hell out of Cutthroats. There was just something about it's presentation, art, and even its charming clunkiness. Sailing can be a bitch, though, but attacking a port with those crazy little pirates and torturing governors to find out where their hidden stash is can be a lot of fun.

Cutthorats is just one of those games that simply isn't excellent or even very good, if you judge it objectively, but I sure did spend countless hours on it. Gangsters: Organized Crime was another one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom