Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.facebook.com/NightDiveS...4438327364929/437948069680619/?type=1&theater

A sneak peak of one of Night Dive's storage closets...see anything interesting?

10495105_437948069680619_144612044087964527_o.jpg

That's a rather commanding position for PoR:RoMD. What are those red boxes?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Parents in China Sold Their Children for Video Games
Esmeralda Portillo | 14 July 2014 11:55 pm
767970.png

A Chinese couple is accused of selling their children for money that they then used for video games.

Filed under the category of "horrible things awful people do," two Chinese parents are facing serious charges for selling their children to feed their free-to-play gaming fix.

The parents, A Hui and A Mei, sold their children to child traffickers to receive money for internet cafes and to buy items in free-to-play games. According to the couple, who spoke to a local television station behind bars in a detention center, their first child was unplanned and they didn't have the means to support the child financially. Instead, they chose to receive compensation from child traffickers.

When A Mei was pregnant again, they faced the same issue as before of not being able to support a growing family, and again they exchanged their child for money. A Hui's father found out about their discretions and reported them to the police. The couple is now awaiting trial.

Free-to-play games are currently very popular in China. Additionally, at the beginning of this year China lifted their 14-year-old ban on video game consoles.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-in-China-Sold-Their-Children-for-Video-Games

Now that's a great way of making money for video games. Become pregnant, sell your child, be able to buy stuff in P2W games, repeat.

:bravo:

Fuck I knew I'm playing SWTOR wrong.
Brb guise. Powering up hyper weapon.
Daddy needs a new light saber.

Astral Rag

Arcane
A proper Blade Runner re-release would be nice. The original works on modern systems but the shooting sections are a bit buggy.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thisispoland.png

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/16/5885167/poland-game-industry

During an official state visit in 2011, the prime minister of Poland gifted US President Barack Obama a copy of The Witcher 2. It made for a funny little side note for the gaming press at the time.

France gave the U.S. the Statue of Liberty, a gigantic monument to freedom and sacrifice. Poland gave us a video game.

But for the Polish people it was a big deal, a gift as meaningful to them as a colossal bronze woman holding a torch. Through The Witcher, a very modern kind of artifice, the Polish people were telling the leader of the free world about their country's deeply held truths. They were telling President Obama, and everyone in the West, the story of their past, and also the story of their future.

During a two-week journey, Polygon went to Poland to learn more about their story. This feature is only the beginning. Each of the stories excerpted above represent part of the whole picture we found. Taken together, they are our attempt to bring the games industry of an entire country into focus.

Polish game makers are some of the most passionate we've met. We hope that you'll take the time to read their stories and join us in our fascination with the artists and businesses helping move Poland toward the future, toward sharing dreams that have long been deferred.

:outrage:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
This is almost as bad as the time Bob Chipman compared the release of Super Mario Bros. 3 to the Kennedy assassination and 9/11 in terms of how much of an impact it had on his life.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think that dosbox and software like that have solutions to a common problem like that.
Bladerunner is windows only, and there are solutions with varying levels of effectiveness on modern operating systems.

Still it would be nice to just have it work.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/16/5885167/poland-game-industry

During an official state visit in 2011, the prime minister of Poland gifted US President Barack Obama a copy of The Witcher 2. It made for a funny little side note for the gaming press at the time.

France gave the U.S. the Statue of Liberty, a gigantic monument to freedom and sacrifice. Poland gave us a video game.

But for the Polish people it was a big deal, a gift as meaningful to them as a colossal bronze woman holding a torch. Through The Witcher, a very modern kind of artifice, the Polish people were telling the leader of the free world about their country's deeply held truths. They were telling President Obama, and everyone in the West, the story of their past, and also the story of their future.

During a two-week journey, Polygon went to Poland to learn more about their story. This feature is only the beginning. Each of the stories excerpted above represent part of the whole picture we found. Taken together, they are our attempt to bring the games industry of an entire country into focus.

Polish game makers are some of the most passionate we've met. We hope that you'll take the time to read their stories and join us in our fascination with the artists and businesses helping move Poland toward the future, toward sharing dreams that have long been deferred.

:outrage:

Interesting excerpt from the Witcher/CD Projekt segment of this feature:

CDPR had to rent a separate warehouse just to hold copies of Baldur's Gate before it shipped. Ultimately the team would sell tens of thousands of units of the game, a blockbuster by the standards of the time.

The project was so successful for CDPR that the team immediately began another: A PC port of the Baldur's Gate sequel, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for Interplay. The game was still in development, but planned only for consoles. CDPR would have the lock on PC development for Western audiences and for Poland. There was only one catch: Interplay was falling apart.

"Our friends at Interplay called us ... and said, 'Hey, it doesn't look too good,'" Iwinski says. "'The company is having financial problems. Don't do this port. Nobody will pay you for it. It'll be tough for you.'

I wonder who that friend was. Feargus?

TripJack

Hedonist
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-noriega-activision-lawsuit-20140715-story.html
Former Panama dictator Manuel Noriega is suing the Santa Monica video game publisher Activision Blizzard Inc. for depicting him and using his name without his permission in one of the fastest-selling video games.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Noriega alleges that “Call of Duty: Black Ops II” portrays him as “a kidnapper, murderer and enemy of the state.” This was done “to heighten realism in its game,” which “translates directly into heightened sales” for Activision, the lawsuit states.

:incline: of dictators

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about Activision....
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...d-firing-activision-s-kotick-over-buyout.html

Activision Blizzard Inc. Chief Executive Officer Robert Kotick faced firing over his demand that he lead a group helping to buy out most of Vivendi SA (VIV)’s stake in the video-game company he ran, according court filings.

“I really wonder who’s going to fire him,” Vivendi’s then-CEO Jean-Francois Dubos asked in a May 31, 2013, e-mail quoted in the filing. “Myself, happily. Tomorrow if you want,” replied Philippe Capron, who was both Vivendi’s chief financial officer and Activision’s chairman at the time.

A judge ruled in June that Kotick and current Activision Chairman Brian Kelly must face investor claims that they improperly benefited from leading the group that acquired $2.34 billion of Vivendi’s Activision shares after the Paris-based entertainment company decided to sell most of its stake.

Some Activision stockholders said directors wrongfully allowed Kotick and Kelly’s group, which included Chinese video-game publisher Tencent Holdings Ltd. (700), to buy 25 percent of Vivendi’s Activision stock at the same discounted price Activision paid for $5.83 billion of the shares. The deal allowed the men to gain control over the maker of the popular World of Warcraft game without paying a premium, according to Delaware Chancery Court filings.

Besides Kotick and Kelly, Pacchia is suing Vivendi executives who served as Activision directors, including Capron, Crepin and Dubos, for failing to protect minority shareholders’ interests.

The directors violated duties to shareholders by “approving a self-dealing and unfair transaction,” Pacchia said. Kotick and Kelly deny Pacchia’s claims in court filings.

The case is set to go to trial before Delaware Chancery Court Judge Travis Laster Dec. 8 in Wilmington. Laster last year issued an order barring the Vivendi buyout from proceeding. The Delaware Supreme Court overruled him.

The case is In re Activision Blizzard Inc. (ATVI) Stockholder Litigation, 8884, Delaware Chancery Court (Wilmington).​

tl;dr
Vivendi had a majority share in Activision Blizzard and wanted to extract cash from them due to their financial difficulties.

Bobby Kotick put forth a kind of questionable solution in that it gave him a massive profit windfall while solving Vivendi's problem and said they would have to fire him if they wanted anything else done.

They debated firing him, but eventually took his deal instead.

So there was a chance to fire Evil Bob, wasted opportunity. I know, some other bad guy come but there is only few real Lords of TRV Evil(TM)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom