Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Best Soundtracks in RPGs

Tihskael

Learned
Just 2 random ones off the top of my head:

When I listen to Far Horizons, I just imagine the Todd riding a dragon over "that" mountain and life is good all of a sudden.

Tihskael

Learned
On a serious note, not an RPG but this is just magic. Greatest piece in all of video game music imho.

These are really good as well.

The Souls Scrolls games have my favourite music overall.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Shadowrun Dragonfall has the best soundtrack among RPG's.

Non-RPG's: Command & Conquer, One Must Fall 2097

jackofshadows

Magister
question should be which is your favorite soundtrack. that's impossible to determine which is the best.

as zakk wylde once said (LOL),"music is not a sport. take a powerlifting meet for example, where you know where the strongest guys is because obviously his numbers are the highest. whoever benched the most, whoever dead lifted the most, whoever had the highest numbers wins the meet. but in music, it's not who's the best it's who's your favorite. it's like pizza, what's your favorite pizza? they're all good, they're all slamming. it's just like, do you like it just plain or do you like it with garlic and mushrooms? or do you like with pepperoni, with sausage? there's is no best, it's what's your favorite or whatever mood you in for that day."
Even when it comes to something as simple as pizza, who's cooking it does actually matter. Even more so, the quality of ingredients and their kind also matters. Someone like pepperoni pizza and someone likes pizza showered with faeces - you would really say that's just their favorite, move along? Music is not a sport - yes but that doesn't mean there's no competition, he's fudging there a lot (I don't know the context of his saying and it probably matters).

In music there's popularity context usually but also various kinds of contests between performers as well as composers with proper jury. We aren't jury here but we can at least try to express why we think this or that's the best or similiarly to as OP stated, why exactly one was impressed by it (and whether still is). Plus, when it comes to game ost there's a layer of suitability.

Vatnik Wumao
Even when it comes to something as simple as pizza, who's cooking it does actually matter. Even more so, the quality of ingredients and their kind also matters. Someone like pepperoni pizza and someone likes pizza showered with faeces - you would really say that's just their favorite, move along? Music is not a sport - yes but that doesn't mean there's no competition, he's fudging there a lot (I don't know the context of his saying and it probably matters).

In music there's popularity context usually but also various kinds of contests between performers as well as composers with proper jury. We aren't jury here but we can at least try to express why we think this or that's the best or similiarly to as OP stated, why exactly one was impressed by it (and whether still is). Plus, when it comes to game ost there's a layer of suitability.
I'd put it down as style vs technique. If you don't like a particular style of music or art more broadly, then you won't care about the technical mastery behind it (although you can still acknowledge it in terms of that particular artist being an objectively good one as a craftsman); if you do like a particular style of music though, music with high craftmanship within that style is objective superior to music without the same level of technical mastery within it.

Style is subjective, craft is objective.

jackofshadows

Magister

I'd put it down as style vs technique. If you don't like a particular style of music or art more broadly, then you won't care about the technical mastery behind it (although you can still acknowledge it in terms of that particular artist being an objectively good one as a craftsman); if you do like a particular style of music though, music with high craftmanship within that style is objective superior to music without the same level of technical mastery within it.

Style is subjective, craft is objective.
Well yes, of course. Those contests I've mentioned have divisions and such, obviously.

RPG OST are sometimes hard to classify though - the genre is too broad. Even fantasy-cp/postapo/sci-fi barely work.

Vatnik Wumao
RPG OST are sometimes hard to classify though - the genre is too broad. Even fantasy-cp/postapo/sci-fi barely work.
I think that you've already answered your own dilemma though. Same as with movie OSTs, besides being of high craftmanship, they have to synergize well with the game. Not just to be good in themselves, but to enhance the playing experience.

Herumor

Scholar
I saw that Divinity: Original Sin 2 was posted, but IMO Divinity 2's soundtrack is far better:

Olivier Deriviere is underrated, he's done some wonderful work.

This playing while speaking with Myrkul was a fantastic choice.

While Hong Kong isn't my favorite Shadowrun game, it's still got some nice tracks.

And too often I see Bloodlines brought up for the soundtrack, but Redemption does a pretty good job too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom