Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best setting and geography of an RPG

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What is your favorite setting in an RPG and what is its general geography?
Do you like your typical high fantasy woods, forests and tall mountains?
Do you prefer something more out of the ordinary, like Morrowind's ash storms, swamps and a Blight spewing volcano?
Do you like realistic geography that makes sense? A North Pole, South Pole, extremes of temperature, different climates, and so on?

Iucounu

Educated
RPGs specifically? No idea.

Do you prefer something more out of the ordinary, like Morrowind's ash storms, swamps and a Blight spewing volcano?
Do you like realistic geography that makes sense? A North Pole, South Pole, extremes of temperature, different climates, and so on?
Anything is fine, as long as gameplay works in unison with the environment. For example, in The Long Dark (not an RPG) surviving the environment is the entire foundation of the gameplay. In contrast, Mass Effect Andromeda's (barely an RPG) different planet environments barely have any effect on the gameplay:

- Voeld is an ice planet, but there are no disorienting snow storms, and no avalanches. There is a cold mechanic, but since you can always warm up in your car it doesn't matter much. There's said to be an ocean under the ice, but there's no risk of the ice breaking under your car. There's said to be living creatures in the ocean, but of course no way to drill a hole in the ice and explore it.

- Elaaden is hot desert planet, but no blinding sandstorms, and again the car will protect you at all times from the heat. At least there's one side quest where your car breaks down briefly. There's also a huge alien spaceship wreck, but you just get a short quest exploring its bland interior.

- Eos is another desert planet with radioactivity, and again the car will protect you. No need to carefully navigate through radiation fields like in Stalker.

- Kadara is a mountain planet full of sulphur springs, that could have required special suit upgrades and careful navigation like in Stalker's anomalies, but in practice the springs don't matter for gameplay. The mountains just act like barriers forcing you to travel even longer with the boring car.

Most of the above planets contain the same 2-3 species of dinosaurs and invisible dogs. I kept wondering how these animals could find any food on the barren ice and desert planets, let alone survive the allegedly extreme temperatures.

__scribbles__

Educated
Britannia from Ultima. Filled with fun characters, lots of different places and secrets to find, and it's great to see it develop and change over the course of the series. It has a big mountain range, small and big islands, poisonous swamps, thick dark forests, caves, and a desert in Ultima V onward. Serpent Isle also has a lot of snowy mountains to explore, which is always great.

The penal colony in Gothic and later the island of Khorinis in Gothic 2. It's a bit hard to articulate precisely why it works, but it just sort of feels... authentically European. Lots of people, including myself, have great memories of exploring forests we lived near as children, and Gothic is the best I've ever seen at recapturing that magic.

Vvardenfell from Morrowind, because it feels so "alien" in the best possible way. Nobody ever forgets seeing that silt strider in Seyda Neen for the first time, and the swamps, stormy deserts, desolate mountains are great. It's by far the best setting Bethesda ever did.

As a general rule the settings that work the best are ones with varied environments that have a lot of content and loot in them. In terms of flavor I think alien is more interesting and unique if pulled off properly, but there's nothing wrong with just regular fantasy environments as long as they're actually fun to explore.

Dorateen

Arcane
Mountains, of course.

I enjoyed reaching Stone City in Might & Magic VII. As well as the Dominion of the Exemplar areas in Grimoire. Also, the mountain wilderness exploration of Wizardry VII, where you had to splice together vines in order to climb or descend the heights.

I don't really have a favorite. I wish more games had tropical jungle and underwater exploration. Underwater grottos, sunken ships, that kind of thing.

Falksi

Arcane
Generally speaking, I like atmospheric and absorbing places with a sense of both grandeur and calm.

Morrowind was just something incredibly special to experience for the first time. So many areas which absorb you into that alien world so well.

Exploring planets in the original Mass Effect was just magic too. Even though there wasn't much to them, I'd finally landed as a space explorer. As a young kid raised on stuff like Star Wars, Space Hunter, Buck Rogers etc. I remember thinking my career path would be school>teen years partying like in Animal House>astronaut and intergalactic space jock by the time I was 21. Obviously it didn't pan out that way, but as a pre-teen I used to play with mates up in quarries and local woods pretending we'd found other worlds. Fast forward 20-ish years, and stepping out on to the surface of Mass Effects planets and staring at stuff such as twin moons rekindled that inner child for a brief while. Top stuff.

Skara Brae Below is pretty cool in Bard's Tale 4 DC too, as are some of the darker dungeons such as the Lodge of the Siambra Dhu.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more exotic, the better. If I want regular medieval castles and temperate forests I can just go outside.

Morrowind, Dark Sun, Kenshi, Conan Exiles. These games have the kinds of settings I love to explore.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The more exotic, the better. If I want regular medieval castles and temperate forests I can just go outside.

Morrowind, Dark Sun, Kenshi, Conan Exiles. These games have the kinds of settings I love to explore.

you should try Brigand: Oaxaca

sorta a hybrid of Morrowind and Deus Ex, in a setting which combines demons, drugs, uzis and magic in mesoamerican jungle

Humanophage

Arcane
I'd like to see more urban weird settings like Sigil. Adventure games like Woodruff and the Schnibble have them, but they are uncommon in RPGs. In general, it would be good to take more settings from adventure games, which often had more creative settings.

At the same time, I also like complete worlds. I don't think they can be called settings in this specific sense, however, as the game is usually set only in some part of it (e.g., Sword Coast, Rashemen, Icewind Dale, etc. for Forgotten Realms). It is quite rare when you have the whole thing though, as in Ultima. It is impressive in grand strategies like fantasy mods for Crusader Kings 2. It helps create this sense of vastness, showing that the player isn't the centre of the world.

Hagashager

Educated
My favorite RPGs are ones that lean towards Fantasy Life Simulators in large worlds.

World size is a big deal for me these days. I really dislike RPGs that say they're vast but in-game are very small. Skyrim is the absolute worst.

That's not to say small worlds are bad, but I want justification for it, or at least some honesty about the world not being that big. Gothic 1 and 2 are fantastic about this. Both have compact overworlds, but they explain exactly why that is. G1 is in a magically walled-in prison colony, G2 is on an island. Archolos (the Polish G2 mod) is also on an island.

Daggerfall is a fantastic starter for what I want, but it's so bare-bones I need more. Morrowind is a personal favorite, and like Gothic justifies its smaller scale by being on an island, but even still, canonically, the island is supposed to be much larger. Remove the fog (which I never do) and you can see Vivec from most parts of Vvardenfell. You can also **always** see region borders without the fog.

I think currently, the game that came closest for me is Outward but loving Outward is like loving a rose with the sharpest thorns imaginable.

MerchantKing

Learned

Kenshi's setting is a lot like the middle east after the Arabs took it over. Lots of ruins, slave traders, and hideous cutthroat goyim in a desert of they created (the Akkadians actually turned Shinar into a desert). Did I mention that they're all backwards savages?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
My favourite setting in an RPG is high fantasy. With a rich history to the world. A lot of skills and classes, abundant weapons and armours, magic, and lore. My general geography preference is an abundant variety if possible. If I had to pick one though, it would be forests. I feel they are ripe for exploration and storytelling.

Certainly.

No, I don't prefer it. But I am totally ok with it. I like high, low, dark, and obscure fantasy. A special note to swamps since they were mentioned. I think swamps aren't used enough. When they are though, I usually am quite fond of them.

I prefer the geography to be based on earth's known geography. Something that can be traversed on foot, even if it is difficult. The occasional extraoridinary geographical area is fine, if done for a reason. If I am playing a space exploration type game, then anything goes.

What about you NecroLord ?

Last edited:

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1: What is your favorite setting in an RPG and what is its general geography?
2: Do you like your typical high fantasy woods, forests and tall mountains?
3: Do you prefer something more out of the ordinary, like Morrowind's ash storms, swamps and a Blight spewing volcano?
4: Do you like realistic geography that makes sense? A North Pole, South Pole, extremes of temperature, different climates, and so on?
1: the shitty desert world of athas in the ad&d dark sun setting; magic's gone, the gods are dead, and magic is forbidden (but we have psionics).
2: if they're handled right, and appropriate for the setting. low/no magic dark forest? nothing more frightening than the hijinks that occur in the teutoburg forest! high magic fantasy? see the tree rape scene from evil dead.
3: see above
4:absolutely. bland mono biome worlds can be boring. unless it's dark sun.

Funposter

Arcane
I enjoy settings that feel "lived in" and geography that feels logical. It's a bit of a cop-out answer, since my favourite RPG by a long stretch is Morrowind, but I would say that I generally lean towards generic, European medieval-fantasy settings because they are so much easier to do correctly. Weird settings are more difficult to pull off because they require the devs and writers to do so much more legwork in terms of establishing rules that, in a more generic setting, can essentially go unexplained because our mind fills in the gaps. The term gets thrown around a lot now, but I do really like "dark fantasy" stuff. Gnarled tress, foggy mountains, shit-covered peasants and all of that.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I like high fantasy settings with some scifi, eg. Might & Magic, Wizardry 6-8, Grimoire.

Also think that ship travel is a bit underused in CRPGs. Deadfire did it, but it can be done better I think.

Icy regions and mountains also have a certain charm, if done right.

Hagashager

Educated
I like high fantasy settings with some scifi, eg. Might & Magic, Wizardry 6-8, Grimoire.

Also think that ship travel is a bit underused in CRPGs. Deadfire did it, but it can be done better I think.

Icy regions and mountains also have a certain charm, if done right.
Icewind Dale remains a top 5 cRPG for me.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
517px-MW-map-Vvardenfell.jpg
MW-map-Regions.jpg

600px-Vvardenfell_Roadmap.png
521px-MW-map-Great_House_Influence.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Post Apocalyptic High Fantasy - kind of like Thandar the Barbarian or such. Not much in that vein to really tap into - I always thought Fallout New Vegas would have been better if you finally made it to Caesar and you found out he was Beholder (yah, I know what you are thinking: he would be a *dragon* because we can't have enough of those!!!) Well, hear me out! He could be a shapeshifter that is a beholder to his men, but when you pass some kind of 100 Speech Check or some shit, boom!!! Dragon!

Gregz

Arcane

High fantasy and continental with sparse desert, tropical, and arctic elements. 90% grasslands and forests. Dwarves, elves, and humans. Divine Divinity and Diablo II encapsulate this setting perfectly.

Post-apocalyptic is city hubs with sparse nature elements, best example I can think of is Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom