Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best S-RPGs of all time?

da_rays

Augur
Saiyuki - Journey West , Wow , thank for making me remember that game! I need to get my hand on that again....but back to the topic , anyone mention Phantom Brave? It got a good Wii release with some more stuff than the original ( the PS2 version ) , but i think they remade it too for PSP , dunno what they added in this one tho . It got this weird mechanic where you can ''summon'' your allies directly into item on the battlefield ( tree , flower , rock , sword , etc etc . which affect their stats post summoning ) . You can upgrade almost anything ( and anyone ) . I've gotten myself an old Wii and ''bend her to my will'' with a 500Gb Ext-HDD . Lord , what an awesome Retro console with all the various emulator. I'D also advise you to take a look at all the SNES translation out there , a few have been mentionned , but a few obscure title might get to you . and yes you are right , SF3 is damn clunky and somewhat hard to get into . I've done the 3 chapters a few years ago , but i've enjoyed a bit more the FE serie , all the good one are on DS 3ds but you also have a few translations on the SNES , but same thing really , except for the animations. There is also Langrisser IV on PSX if im not mistaken which got a ''somehow'' good translation. Well , its at least understandable. And some various title on the top of my head ...... Feda , Emblem of justice (SNES , FE clone) , Luminous Arc I and II ( DS, which are ...meh , not bad , but far from great ) , Agarest, generation of war ( PC , not bad either , but couldnt get into it that far , lots of customization possible from character to item and so forth ) . Its hard to pin point the right one to invest countless hours in it ;D.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Phantom brave PSP has a whole alternate timeline storyline and 2 post-game madness challenge sets of levels which i haven't even tried.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I don't think Shining Force 3 is clunky but even if it is, its highly worth soldiering through because the game is fantastic

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
A few not mentioned yet:

I liked Rondo of Swords and Valkyrie Profile 2 a bunch. Also, in Neverland Card Battles you summon your cards onto the battle field and the battles play out tactically.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I friggin hate Phantom Brave, but it has its fans. It's a very divisive game in NI's SRPG library. Disgaea is generally a more safer choice.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Is there many srpg's that have zoomed in combat animation thingies? Like fire emblem or SRW. I mean usually I end up turning those off eventually but it's still nice to have, rather than just chibi dwarves whacking away at one another.

stabby

Learned
Is there many srpg's that have zoomed in combat animation thingies? Like fire emblem or SRW. I mean usually I end up turning those off eventually but it's still nice to have, rather than just chibi dwarves whacking away at one another.

Well, off the top of my head there are the Queen's Blade/Gate games on the PSP...

Though I guess the game gets automatically disqualified from 'Best Ever!' list for having romances. :M

stabby

Learned
Yeah... well it probably could have gone a good 30 seconds longer (oh gods why do I know this?!) had the player taken advantage of the Crush attack in the end of that sequence. Was probably too busy ooglin' at the time though.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:lol:

This is just hilarious. Certainly not an SRPG I would play, but hilarious all the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom