Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of all time?

?

• Fallout

• Baldur's Gate 2

• Morrowind

• Deus EX

• something else (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I respect all the replies except for "Morrowind" and "Gothic 2".

New fags these days
tumblr_niu6hgQje01qhr9tdo1_1280.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Where is the "Gothic 2 Gold" option, and "Realms of Arkania: Star Trail", "Mount and Blade: Warband", "Ultima Underworld", "Battle Brothers", "Wizardry 6/7/8", "Dark Souls", "Gothic", "Enderal", no?
Well at least there is no Planescape Torment option, still very weak thread.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
never really understood why codex is so hipster for morrowind
Especially when it comes from people talking about "new fags". I am positive the only people who vote Morrowind are people born in 2000 and it just happened to be the first RPG they ever played. Nobody who played the classic 90s RPG's would vote for Morrowind. I did enjoy it though, and it is the only ES game I did.

Prime Junta

why codex is so hipster for morrowind

Open world with no level scaling (=some areas are really tough if you go in early), massive both in size and in terms of shit to do, scads of factions to join, off-the-beaten-path worldbuilding with a sense of place, history, and deep lore, mechanics which are broken in the right way (e.g. spellcrafting that lets you do absurd shit if you're clever enough to do it), quests and treasure hunts that require you to figure it out instead of having a quest compass that points in the right direction, beautiful, unusual, and interesting art direction. For starters.

Sure the combat is shit and you end up hopping everywhere like a demented bunny but since when did that stop the Codex from liking something?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Open world with no level scaling

Actually Morrowind has a lot of level scaling. For example, tombs and daedric ruins are all level scaled. IIRC only non-monster enemies are not level scaled. Guess they didn't have the technology for that back then, lolololol.

The thing is, while the lore and the world are p fun to explore, the gameplay is really bad. The shitty walking speed (that drains your stamina at that), the horrible combat that's not fun even when you max out your weapon skill of choice, the weird leveling up system where you have to put the skills you actually plan to use to "minor" (so that you can grind for 5x bonuses), etc.

But yeah, abusing the bugs in alchemy, enchantment and spell making was p fun. I remember making a spell that gives feather and acrobatics +700 (you basically put feather in the first slot and acrobatics +100 in the remaining 7 slots) for 1 sec and literally becoming Superman as I would jump across half a continent, way above the cliffracers.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Gothic 1 and 2 are the two RPGs i hold dearest to my heart. Maybe they're not objectively the best, but to me they will always be and i will always return to them once in a while.

Gosh i sound like some guy in midlife crisis talking about his first big love.

laclongquan

Arcane
I must point out that Morrowind is a great game. It's worthy of the 7th place in Top 70 RPG of all times, poll conducted by Codexia.

Not even top 5, true, but 7th place is nothing to sneer at. Many games wish to stand at that lofty place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom