Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now an list of some RPGs which I remember with good necromancy :

D&D/Pathfinder games :
  • Baldur's Gate 1/2/ToB - Necromancy is a mage specialization. It loses powerful illusion spells but the aditional animate dead and -2 penalty from enemies against finger of death, skull trap and other spells makes necromancers quite good in this game
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker - Also an wizard specialization. I did completed the game in the maximum difficulty and have a walktrought here in codex with videos, lots of great spells and great minions, sadly too limited compared to the P&P create undead spells : https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-thassilonian-necromancer-with-videos.140352/
  • NWN1 - Sadly the single summon limit kills one of the main points of necromancy, OHK spells are great in comparation.
  • NWN2 - Trash without spell fixes and amazing with spell fixes
  • PF:WoTR - Lich mythic path is amazing. I would rather having an vampire mythic path. Being able to reanimate companions to serve you is also a huge plus.
  • Low Magic Age - Similar to NWN1 but turn based
First person games :
  • Morrowind : There is a huge lore behind necromancy and the player can RP as one with self imposed limitations. There are also mods which improve necromancy and allow multiple undead conjuring with a single spell.
  • Might & Magic VI~VIII - Dark Magic is a skill and has some necromancey stuff. In 7/8, is even possible to obtain lichdoom

Open World RPG's
  • Gothic 2 Returning - Sadly only sheep of Innos is available in the main game. But the returning 2.0 adds water mages(my favorite) and necromancers. Summons(not only undead summons) require a constant mana upkeep but there is no limit on how many summons you could have. Spear of Darkness is arguably the best circle 3 spell of the game
  • Gothic 3 - The unique mass undead summon spell, army of darkness is only available for dark magicians.
  • Two Worlds 1 - Necromancy is mostly focused in DoT(damage over time) poison damage and has summon limits
  • Two Worlds 2 - You can summon an large horde of undeads with an unique card system
  • Arcanum - Arcanum not only allows you to be ridiculous OP with HARM and raise the dead, but also talk with deceased companions
  • Black Geyser - I pŕefer wintermage but necromancer have lots of summoning spells and dark magic spells.
MODS :
  • Mount & Blade - HAs two main mods with necromancy. Phantasy Calradia and Legacy of the Dragon. Both allow you to have a ridiculous large army of darkness.
  • Icewind dale has the pale master mod
  • VtMB - ANTITRIBU mod - Has the Giovanni clan which is all about necromancy but I honestly prefer LASOMBRA which uses Nethermancy to summon tentacles of pure darkness
  • Diablo + Belzebub mod
  • Hexen : Wrath of Chronos >

More mods for necromancy :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZkSYKr7KRRW02WDYmQYTvDo-2-PSrvna

------------------------------------------------------

Now the HALL OF SHAME. Games with awful necromancy :

• Dragon Age : Inquisition - Is just spirit tree from origins with way less spells. Pure trash!!!
  • ESO : NPC necromancers are way more necromancers than PC necromancers. Hell, Sorcerers have more minion capacity and more interesting dark magic than ESO """"necromancers""""
  • Diablo 3 - All minions are merely DoTs in disguise. And scale with the size and sharpness of the caster's stat stickie axe

Mauman

Learned
I've played Wrath of Chronos so many times.

There's also Irontusk's Diablo 1/2 Heretic/Hexen mod (requires both I think, or at least requires Heretic) that uses the Wrath of Chronos mod to simulate D2 classes and has a HUGE campaign based on (dur) Diablo 1 & 2

Also, if we're going to include Warband mods, then Warsword Conquest (a warhammer mod) includes THREE undead factions/races one can be/join or hire for your army (tomb undead, undead pirates, or vampires) and 3 (technically 4) different death or undeath themed magic schools for an aspiring necromancer.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't read the whole thread but there's great stuff here! RP is not my priority but I really got immersed in the world of Arcanum which had some great, albeit limited options for necromancy including RP elements as has been noted here by others.

My necromancer power fantasy game would be a solo evil sorcerer run in IWD2. The beginning is tough but very soon you can raise a relatively large, seemingly unstoppable army of undead and not too long after you can instantly kill enemy magic users and huge groups of warriors with powerful necromantic magic. Being evil and using a certain necromancy spell trivializes the final fight. IWD2 has an awesome Mord sword and Black blade of disaster. You can summon demons towards the end.

I've only played it unmodded but I highly recommend it. If you're on win 10, I ran the gog version in compatibility with win 7. I did experience crashes until I ran it in that mode but had 0 issues after that and encountered no bugs.

Last edited:

Dr1f7

Scholar
My official list of good necromancy:
  • HOMM3
  • Guild Wars 1
  • WC3
  • Morrowind
  • Dota (undying and skeleton king)
  • MTG
  • Hearthstone
that's pretty much it
MAYBE dungeon keeper but I don't remember using undead much in that game

I'm definitely NOT a fan of "spend 5 hours collecting 20 body parts then assemble them on a pentagram and do unholy evil spooky chant to raise ONE zombie that dies in two hits", just wanna make lots of zombies don't care where they come from, and it's insulting when games treat necromancy as a support spec instead of an actually viable thing (LOOKING AT YOU TESO :argh::argh::argh:)

Dr1f7

Scholar
Morrowind...? What...?
hell yeah you can totally play through the game just summoning big undead squads

23.png

Poseidon00

Arcane
MAYBE dungeon keeper but I don't remember using undead much in that game

Definitely Dungeon Keeper. How undead creation works:

If a unit you capture dies while in a prison cell, they become a skeleton.

If they are tortured to death in the torture room, they become a ghost.

If you drag enough corpses into the cemetery, a vampire will arise.

Skeletons and ghosts can be made in mass numbers, easily, but don't become powerful on the battlefield until level 10. Once they hit level 10 they get really scary.

Vampires require a lot more investment, but can also be mass produced in ways the non-undead units can't.

Skeletons and vampires are both prone to start fights in your dungeons with units they dislike so care has to be taken with undead armies.

Poseidon00

Arcane
You left out that vampires at level 4 and higher rise again in their lair if they get killed at the cost of one level.

How could I forget that? I was struggling against the last fight when using KeeperFX so my solution was to slaughter my entire dungeon, use to corpses to attract vampires, and train those vampires up to be strong enough to hold off the Avatar and his men. Good times.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Grim Dawn, especially with Mastery Mods, Guild Wars 1, Diablo 2, and Last Epoch are arguably the best necromancer rpgs ever. LE might be ahead of Grim Dawn if you don't count mods, then GW1 and then Diablo 2 is in 4th. LE it really depends on the necromancer buffs from items. The skill system is pretty interesting but you are limited as far as sheer numbers of pets.

Tao

Savant
Last Epoch has the best necromancer out of all Diablo clones, and it's not even close.
Agree. The golem has to be one of the best skill in the game: it feels powefull, it is usefull, it is deadly, and looks impresive. And the Abomination is a cool af idea too.

Is funny how bad Diablo 4 necros looks by comparison. And how useless their Golem is. I tried 3 classes this open beta (sorcerer, druid and necro) and ironicaly the Necromancer was the one that didn't seem to fit the game at all. Having the skellies glow blue, looking so d3 and cartoonist, all over the place in the towns... was offputing to the point to dont want to play a necro at all.

If only we could get D4 aesthetics and mix them with everything that it is Last Epoc...

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Last Epoch has the best necromancer out of all Diablo clones, and it's not even close.
Agree. The golem has to be one of the best skill in the game: it feels powefull, it is usefull, it is deadly, and looks impresive. And the Abomination is a cool af idea too.

Is funny how bad Diablo 4 necros looks by comparison. And how useless their Golem is. I tried 3 classes this open beta (sorcerer, druid and necro) and ironicaly the Necromancer was the one that didn't seem to fit the game at all. Having the skellies glow blue, looking so d3 and cartoonist, all over the place in the towns... was offputing to the point to dont want to play a necro at all.

If only we could get D4 aesthetics and mix them with everything that it is Last Epoc...
It is wild how shit the D4 skellies look in a game with such high production values.

Rafidur

Learned
Maybe all the interesting stuff is locked behind items and that paragon tab, but damn was D4 beta necro simplistic and soulless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom