Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Morrowind Texture Pack?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
My :obviously: contribution to this thread:
fapfapfapfap

Thanks, I've bookmarked this thread for my next foray into Morrowind. I've avoided MGE mainly because I didn't want to spend time experimenting to find good values for draw distance vs fog distance. This seems perfect, though I may tweak the values to make it a litte bit darker.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Fucketh me, Cities of Gold …

Everything is more majestic than the Imperial Town of Oblivion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
My :obviously: contribution to this thread:
fapfapfapfap

Thanks, I've bookmarked this thread for my next foray into Morrowind. I've avoided MGE mainly because I didn't want to spend time experimenting to find good values for draw distance vs fog distance. This seems perfect, though I may tweak the values to make it a litte bit darker.

I'd say six is the max amount you want to set the draw distance at and probably lower to get closer to the vanilla feel.

MCA
Perhaps your monocle...

...just fell out of frame.

:yeah:

DraQ said:
That mod DraQ linked to
Wait, what?

Ah, mindfuck. Correction: the mod corvus linked to, above my previous post.

And you're right, I've never paid attention to that in the concept art before. I haven't given much of a shit about concept art at all, in fact. Perhaps they could afford to do add more extensive piers, covering the most of the base perimeter of the cantons, with vendors on them, to give that feel of being dwarfed in the vanilla. I've thought it was kind of shitty that the player could just waltz into the area like that through what seemed like a very prestigious passageways. It would feel more memorably "humbling" or humiliating if the player initially had to go through these base piers to reach the canton areas.

corvus

Arcane
villain of the story said:
I thought the vanilla cantons were cool. They felt oppressive and authoritative, sort of dehumanising and counter-individualistic, as if to remind the Dark Elves of who they are and where they belonged as well as giving a certain impression of being unconquerable due to the design, like a message to outsiders: this is our domain, if you're coming in, we'll see about whether you're going back out. And yet, they were almost totally deserted, which made them feel like residual landmarks of fading symbols of power in the midst of a culture evolving and moving along with new influences. That's what I thought of when I first played the game anyway.

I never thought of them in that light, very cool. I was just in high school when I played Morrowind for the first time and the most I could feel was "this is some weird, cool shit".

I think the bigger design issue with the vanilla cantons is the interior design. Just so utterly shit and uninspiring. That mod DraQ linked to looks somehwat nice, though. I'd expect a more exotic solution for the ceilings, something organic perhaps that could show or obstruct skyview. This looks somewhat cheap.

The thing I like about Redesigned Vivec is that the plazas are outside now and you can just walk up and go into a shop. The canalworks and waterworks are all relatively untouched though.

DraQ said:
Compare the upper piece of concept art with in-game Vivec:

Notice the fragment of giant monolithic Canton in upper left - they were meant to be like that, but without smaller platforms crowded with ordinary buildings, with plazas and such stuff the sense of scale is no longer there.

(Also it reminds me of supposed entire districts built on bridges in the Imperial City, and the miserable failure it was in oblivious - at least Vivec remained majestic and huge. )

Yeah, that concept art is part of the reason why I really like this mod, since it's pretty much the closest the game can get to that original city of canals design. There was also a combination of it with another mod, that added various shacks, rope bridges, and a dock area for the boat transportation. Sadly it was very crash-prone, and strained my system to the breaking point along with Redesigned Vivec. Still, there aren't many mods like it for Oblivion last time I've checked. The Imperial City part of Better Cities was nice, but fuck me it was still boring as hell.

Luzur said:
what pics guys?

i see nothing..

First you can't watch Efukt vids, now this? You running PeerBlock or something?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
entire districts built on bridges in the Imperial City

I think gamebryo would strangle itself with a district that you could walk underneath

the daedra must have stolen these districts with filthy oblivion magic and left the shittiest bits of the glorious capital behind which were hastily renamed in an approximation of an actual place

also they took the jungle as well because the planes needed trees

zool

Arcane
corvus said:
There was also a combination of it with another mod, that added various shacks, rope bridges, and a dock area for the boat transportation. Sadly it was very crash-prone, and strained my system to the breaking point along with Redesigned Vivec.

Yeah, it's PseronWyrd's merged Vivec Expansion_Redesigned Vivec esp - which I intend to use for my next playthrough. However, do you have any idea whether it conflicts with LGNPC (particularly the two Vivec installments - Vivec Foreign Quarter and Vivec Redoran)?

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
entire districts built on bridges in the Imperial City

I think gamebryo would strangle itself with a district that you could walk underneath
If you're not a complete retard when it comes to location design, you can really do wonders with partitioning the city into cells. If you're not using a retarded engine, you can also make mindbogglingly complex environments without straining the computer too much by not wasting cycles on occluded shit.

Also, I'm still butthurt about loss of levitation, since even with walled in cities tiny settlements you could easily implement it (and integrate it with slowfall) by making magnitude determine max altitude, which, when exceeded, makes you slowfall instead of levitating. Add some invisible walls to be sure, but most players won't really have opportunity to bump into them, since levitation won't allow them to go above the walls from ground level, and gliding in from some distant mountain is going to be tricky.

Neobeth is really manned by retards these days.

Also, I used Vivec expansion for about five minutes. Yeah, the network of bridges and shacks was nice, but it shouldn't hog up main canals, nor it should be inhabited by characters with completely non lore-compliant names and link to (IIRC) really shitty interiors. Plus it had bad clipping problems with tightly overlapping, flickering meshes.

corvus

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
the daedra must have stolen these districts with filthy oblivion magic and left the shittiest bits of the glorious capital behind which were hastily renamed in an approximation of an actual place

also they took the jungle as well because the planes needed trees

hmm, would've been a very interesting way to retcon the jungle actually. I imagine it in a Guild Wars type situation, where the Daedra just come in and fuck up the whole province and turn that lush jungle landscape into desolate nothingness. but bethesda's laziness transcends simple game design and they have to be uncreative fucks when it comes to setting too. Oh well.

z o o l said:
Yeah, it's PseronWyrd's merged Vivec Expansion_Redesigned Vivec esp - which I intend to use for my next playthrough. However, do you have any idea whether it conflicts with LGNPC (particularly the two Vivec installments - Vivec Foreign Quarter and Vivec Redoran)?

I'm not sure, like DraQ I didn't use Vivec Expansion for very long. Getting Redesigned to work was trouble enough, and there was at least one conflict I can remember with it and LGNPC. It was a quest for the arena canton, figuring out the murderer, and when you were supposed to look for a dunmer wearing all black on the canton he wouldn't show up cause either Expansion or Redesigned Vivec changed the layout. Had to use the console to spawn the npc to finish the quest. Otherwise I never noticed any other conflicts between Redesigned and LGNPC, and I played through most of the Redoran canton quests LGNPC added.

Overall I would say Vivec Expansion just isn't worth it, too many problems getting it to run nice with other mods, as well as the reasons DraQ mentioned. Redesigned Vivec does the job well enough on its own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom