Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Morrowind Texture Pack?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When I finish my Deus Ex replay and Human Revolution I want to reinstall Morrowind to dabble with before Skyrim comes out. I know there was a massive rehaul mod a while back but it changed too much stuff in my opinion. What is the best texture mod for preserving the game as it was intended to look, sort of like the recent Deus Ex "New Vision" mod? I want it to look like Morrrowind but with higher texture quality, especially the ground and characters.

Thanks in advance!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Visual Pack XT or whatever it's called, I think. It stays mostly faithful to the vanilla textures and is pretty low-key and well-made - the only major changes are in Telvanni areas, and for that very reason, the Telvanni replacer is a separate download.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
Visual Pack XT or whatever it's called, I think. It stays mostly faithful to the vanilla textures and is pretty low-key and well-made - the only major changes are in Telvanni areas, and for that very reason, the Telvanni replacer is a separate download.

Cool, that seemed like the way to go from google searching but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I installed the big overhaul yesterday and honestly I'm thinking about just playing vanilla. Looks prettier, sure, but I guess I'm just used to dated graphics.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The environments are serviceable vanilla. Just get a body/head replacer and you're set.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Metro said:
I installed the big overhaul yesterday and honestly I'm thinking about just playing vanilla. Looks prettier, sure, but I guess I'm just used to dated graphics.

Yeah I don't want the big overhaul, I want something that maintains the original look.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd second the better heads/better bodies mod unless the aforementioned XT mod covers that.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Excidium said:
Gragt said:
I don't know how people can play with those graphic overhauls, it looks good but contrasts too much with the low poly models.

Most meshes get higher poly-count, fx bodys, heads, armor, flora etc. So your point is not understandable.
There is btw only one proper graphic overhaul

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well the 'Overhaul' is just a massive collection of mods.

FatCat

Educated
Here is my mod-list , enchanted vanilla or so i like to call it.

_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Morrowind Patch v1.6.4.esm
_005_ Texture Fix 1.8.esm
_006_ Book Rotate.esm
_007_ Bloodmoon Landscape Overhaul 1.0.esm
_008_ GDR_MasterFile.esm
_009_ redorancondo.esp
_010_ Healers.esp
_011_ Hold it - resource.esp
_012_ Lgnpc_SN.esp
_013_ Psy_VivecGodReplacer.esp
_014_ Westly_Presents_Unique_Winged_Twilights.esp
_015_ More Better Clothes.ESP
_016_ AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
_017_ Unique Banners and Signs.esp
_018_ Windows Glow.esp
_019_ Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp
_020_ LGNPC_GnaarMok_v1_10.esp
_021_ LGNPC_AldVelothi_v1_20.esp
_022_ LGNPC_MaarGan_v1_20.esp
_023_ LGNPC_HlaOad_v1_32.esp
_024_ kiasyd_magick_regenerator_1.4.esp
_025_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_v1_20.esp
_026_ LGNPC_Aldruhn_v1_20_suppl.esp
_027_ Spect Sorcery pt 1.esp
_028_ LGNPC_Pelagiad_v1_22.esp
_029_ LGNPC_TelMora_v1_20.esp
_030_ LGNPC_Khuul_v2_10.esp
_031_ LGNPC_VivecFQ_v2_10.esp
_032_ LGNPC_TelUvirith_v1_20.esp
_033_ LGNPC_IndarysManor_v1_51.esp
_034_ LGNPC_VivecRedoran_v1_50.esp
_035_ LGNPC_PaxRedoran_v1_20.esp
_036_ LGNPC_SoulSicknessPatch_v1_00.esp
_037_ CR Ore Replacer 1.0.esp
_038_ CR Ore Resource 1.0.esp
_039_ New Argonian Bodies - Clean.esp
_040_ New Khajiit Bodies - Clean.esp
_041_ Windows Glow - Tribunal Eng.esp
_042_ Windows Glow - Bloodmoon Eng.esp
_043_ MDP Compilation.ESP
_044_ UniqueFinery_NoRobe.esp
_045_ UniqueFinery.esp
_046_ Windows Glow - Raven Rock Eng.esp
_047_ DN-GDRv1.esp
_048_ WA_Signy_Signposts(!).ESP
_049_ Animated Morrowind 1.0.esp
_050_ Vality's Bitter Coast Addon.esp
_051_ Vality's Balmora Addon.esp
_052_ Better Skulls.ESP
_053_ NX9_Guard_LGRedoran_Patch.ESP
_054_ NEDE v1.2.esp
_055_ Vurt's Solstheim Trees & Bushes Replacer.ESP
_056_ Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
_057_ TLM - Ambient Light + Fog Update.esp
_058_ abotWindowsGlow.esp
_059_ Book Rotate - Tribunal v5.3.esp
_060_ Book Rotate - Bloodmoon v5.3.esp
_061_ TLM - Light Sources (Clearer Lighting).esp
_062_ Better Bodies.esp
_063_ abotWhereAreAllBirdsGoing.esp
_064_ Book Jackets - Morrowind - BookRotate.esp
_065_ Book Jackets - Tribunal - BookRotate.esp
_066_ Book Jackets - Bloodmoon - BookRotate.esp
_067_ IceNioLivRobeReplacerALL.esp
_068_ Better Clothes_v1.1_nac.esp
_069_ NX9_Guards_Complete.ESP
_070_ The Imperial Legion Badge.esp
_071_ TLM - Light Sources (Natural Water).esp
_072_ Psy_VivecGodReplacer_Tribunal.esp
_073_ Westly_Presents_Unique_Corprus_Stalkers.esp
_074_ DB_Attack_Mod.esp
_075_ Vurt's Ashlands Overhaul.esp

vendetta

Novice
Personnally I'm partial to Connary's textural work. it doesn't stray too far from Bethesda's original ideas, and fills it with a bit more detail that meets the eye, without being excessive. Ground and architectural textures, plus some objects. I believe he's gone from the modding world, and left it in a pretty butt-hurt fashion, so downloading his stuff is kinda hard nowadays. With a little digging you can find his stuff somewhere (*cough* Russian TES site *cough*)

the graphical overhaul thing is shite, stay away from it. combines a lot of junk shit that you don't want.

all of the "improved faces" mods are shit too, unless you want to play with Manga-looking dolls. the only decent one is the oldest one made, I think it's called something like "Vvardenfell visages vol. 1". there's a thread on the TES forums by a guy called Afroking comparing screenshots of all of them, but I will have the decency not to link it here.

that's about it, I also like "unique tombs" and "unique skulls" mods, but to each his own taste.

WDeranged

Educated
Thumbs up for Connary's textures, he stays very close to the originals. I'd also install the visual pack first as it covers a few things that Connary's misses.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
XT is good, but has some problems, like random misaligned tiling, also road textures are bad and barely distinguishable from general dirt.

I mix and match, using XT as a base and then adjusting from there. A bit of Connary here or there, Vitality's Bitter Coast work, individual tree textures etc.

Be prepared to look for Connary's stuff, he went on a 'DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING' kick, and now you have to download archived packs other folks have saved for posterity on megaupload and the like.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
I mix and match, using XT as a base and then adjusting from there. A bit of Connary here or there, Vitality's Bitter Coast work, individual tree textures etc.

Be prepared to look for Connary's stuff, he went on a 'DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING' kick, and now you have to download archived packs other folks have saved for posterity on megaupload and the like.

What was the cause of the butthurt? Looking for some entertaiment...

FatCat

Educated
Surf Solar said:

He wants to make a complete pack , i think he is still working on it , damn perfectionists.

FatCat said:
Surf Solar said:

He wants to make a complete pack , i think he is still working on it , damn perfectionists.

He made a complete pack, the last version was II. He started working on III, got tired people of people asking him about the release date, bugging him about a messed up texture in previous packs, and posting his works on other compilation sites without his consent.

So he more or less deleted everything and refused to respond anymore. Every once in awhile he says he's still working on it, but meh. Using XT alongside his version II and then pecking through a dozen other individual texture works can make an amazing looking game and is for me half the fun.

Varn

Educated
Honestly just play Morrowind vanilla. The original textures and faces have a certain old-school charm to them, and any mods trying to change this to a more modern look will in my view jarringly alter that charm, this creating far less immersion within the world. In addition I don't think it's possible to update all textures (including faces) to be modern as the face mods suck.

I experienced this myself when I installed the Less Generic NPC's Mod, which gave many of the random characters in the game unique dialog and in some instances quests. While this was a good idea in theory, the reality of it was the new dialogue was often written in a completely different style to the original dialog, so you knew it was modded in. Also, a large amount of the new dialog included obvious spelling and grammatical errors, again creating a jarring effect of removing you from the immersion of the world.

After that experience I've pretty much decided if you can't play a game without significant content mods then don't bother as playing with a mish-mash of mods that affect content generally destroys all immersion.

Fortunately Morrowind doesn't really need content mods such as graphics replacers etc. - just a levelling change, exploit removal and additional difficulty.

hakuroshi

Augur
There was actually a decent face mod which retained original faces (probably somewhat improved in quality) and added new ones for less significant npcs (and pc). What was especially refreshing is that new faces avoided supermodel/manga shit and varied from quite ugly to pretty good-looking.
Sadly I don't remember the name of the mod, but I think Ghan-buri-Ghan was one of the responsibles for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom