Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best mmorpg in 2023

Arryosha

Learned
All things considered, what is in your opinion the best mmorpg in 2023? I won't define "best" since I am asking because I know very little about them (I only ever really played Everquest back in the day). I will only say that I ask here because I expect the codex to have better rpg standards than elsewhere.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So far this year I have played

WoW Hardcore (Very fun)
WoW Dragonflight (one of the most awful experiences a game can provide)
ESO (I enjoy the lore and humor. The combat is a horrible experience)
EQ2 (Retail is in a terrible spot. I enjoy leveling with self imposted restrictions. Spending time in the world. Soaking in the nostalgia.)

Out of those, ashamedly so, I pick WoW Hardcore for 2023 so far. It comes with caveats though. I believe that you must have a love for classic WoW in one form or another. Have some friends to talk to because there is only grouping during dungeons and you can only do each dungeon once at appropriate level range (you can duo or trio but it has it's own set of rules). Join one of the linked official guilds (the sole requirement is that you are usuing the offical addon). Thats about it though.

I believe MMO's to be in a terrible spot right now. As they have been for a good long while. Most of my fun is fueld by nostalgia and or friends. I am only looking forward to Montsters and Memories. Not a single other MMO on the horizon that peaks my interest. Pantheon should be on my radar but it isnt because I am 100% convinced it is going to be shit. I feel like Stan from South Park who gets diagnosed with Cynical Assholism.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Look.

MUDs were the best. Then UO. Then came the age of sufferable decline with EQ and Anarchy Online. Then the plunge into a decline at an insufferable level.

I'm not aware of EQ and AO revival attempts, but there are quite a few MUDs still kicking and UO got revived with Outlands. I'd try those. That's what I'll do when I get some free time and energy to learn a new MMO.

The state of MMORPGs in 2023 is abysmal. All of the big "MMOs" today (WoW, GW2, FF14) aren't true MMORPG experiences. They are Call of Duty-esque content experiences where you buy the latest expansion, play through the questing content by yourself, and then once you beat it, you're left with either doing tedious daily chores and grinding for the sake of grinding, playing shitty PvP modes when you could get a much better experience playing other PvP games, or quitting till the next expansion releases and doing something else with your time like play another game, selfpublishing a book, spending time with your kids, etc. Actual MMORPG experiences are only found in private servers, ie SWG emulators, FFXI Horizon, etc.

Even if you play those private servers, it isn't the 2000s anymore. Playing a game online with other people isn't novel anymore. Everything has been documented in online wikis and databases and guides and there is an objective optimal way to play the game, and the MMORPG generation are no longer teenagers with unlimited free time. Private servers also tend to be short lived as the owners start these projects during a brief period in their life when they have a lot of free time and interest in the game, but then their circumstances change and their interests change. And so on. I think people just have to accept that the golden age of MMORPGs are over and move on with their lives.

Anyway, if you are dead-set on playing MMOs, then here are the recommendations:

Guild Wars 2
  • Play this if you want an action-adventure. Will take you about 200-300 hours to beat. Has the most engaging combat of any MMO. The writing has its ups and downs but that isn't really important since dialogue is kept to a minimum here and the game is about the gameplay, which is what counts. You spend most of your story experience traversing new high fantasy locations and fighting enemies, not watching cutscenes or reading a visual novel.
  • You get to traverse some really interesting high fantasy environments, such as an airship fleet crashed into the canopy of a jungle, inside the glowing crater of a magic nuke, the inside of a volcano, the back of a humongous crashed dragon, a futuristic cyberpunk city, walk the surface of a sea that was turned into Jade by magic and is being quarried, and so on.
8zCfdX4.jpg
Bloodstone Fen from season 3.
Fp37M5K.jpg
Jahai Bluffs from season 4.
Ok9t0YD.jpg
New Kaineng from End of Dragons.
  • This is one of the very few games that lets you play as a true, feral beastman with an inhuman facial structure and posture and run on all fours, not a human with a rubber mask on like in most other MMOs.
  • The player character is voice acted during the story. The voicing acting in the game is very good during the base game and the first expansion, then gradually declines in quality after that.
  • The soundtrack is overall decent, with some pretty good tracks. The soundtrack is instrumental/orchestral. The latest expansion, End of Dragons, introduces more synthesizers but still retains the overall instrumental/orchestral feel. There is only one vocal song in the game.
  • Be warned that getting all of the content will cost you $100, and getting a good experience with having enough bag space, build slots, good looking mount skins, etc, will cost you another $50 on top of that. The upside is that GW2 doesn't have a subscription model, so compared to other MMOs, GW2 is the cheapest game to play in the long run. Sub MMOs cost $180+ in sub fees to play each year and that's before getting into expansions and cash shops.

Final Fantasy XIV
  • Play this if you are a JRPG or visual novel enthusiast but are running out of good JRPGs and visual novels to play. If you haven't yet played the classic Final Fantasy games, Xenogears, Suikoden, Trails, Utawarerumono, etc, then go play them first before you start scraping the bottom of the barrel with FF14.
  • The game is a 400+ hour long visual novel. 50% of that time is spent watching cutscenes. Another 25% spent running to the next cutscene or NPC to talk to. 25% is actual gameplay, but combat in FFXIV is a snoozefest, and half of your combat in FF14's story is done by yourself, either running to a quest location to spawn mobs that you burst down in 5 seconds, or running through a solo instance. The other half of your combat time is spent in 15 minute long dungeons where you get matched with other randos who you never see again after you part ways.
  • The story pulls a bait and switch, with the first two story arcs being about geopolitical conflict, but then by the time of Shadowbringers the game changes in tone to being a power of friendship shounen anime where everything goes right for the heroes and there is no tension anymore. Long running subplots are abandoned. The main cast of characters, the Scions, are pleasant but not memorable like other JRPG casts. That isn't to say that the game is terrible; the early arcs are very enjoyable, but the story becomes less and less satisfying as it goes on.
  • The zones aren't very interesting ingame, both conceptually and technically. There are some high fantasy elements here and there, but they are often in the distant background. There are some cool high fantasy areas in the 15 minute long dungeons but usually not in the open world maps that you can spend a lot more time in. You never really get that strong high fantasy world feel like you do in WoW or GW2. On a technical level the environments (texturing, models, shaders, etc) doesn't look as good as WoW or FFXIV. Also, due to engine limitations, you don't really have fun exploration like you do in WoW or GW2, and there are invisible walls everywhere. Don't go to FFXIV for fun map exploration.
jAdq4pM.jpg
Yanxia from Stormblood, one of the more conceptually interesting places in the game, because of the magitek gates, but they deactivate as you progress the story. Sorry about the fog and nighttime shot but due to the day/night cycle and weather system, it can be difficult to get optimal lighting and weather conditions.
IX1BAHq.jpg
One of the most visually imaginative areas in the game but it is a dungeon you only get to visit for 15 minutes. Maybe only one or two open world zones actually look as cool as this.
  • On a side note, vanilla FFXIV looks very grey and desaturated. You really need to install Reshade and crank up the colors. I recommend Desperius' gameplay reshade (you have to join his Discord to download his preset). Above pictures taken with his reshade on.
  • All of the playable races are variations on humans. Human with bunny ears, bulky human, short little human, human with a rubber tiger mask on, etc. The aesthetic of the game slants towards feminized characters. You can't make an appealing masculine character in this game.
  • Voice acting starts off rough but then almost everyone got recast and the studio changed locations and the VA quality begins to increase over time, becoming pretty good by Shadowbringers.
  • Soundtrack is overall good (especially compared to Western games, but that's a low bar), but becomes increasingly riddled with obnoxious vocal pop songs from Shadowbringers onward. The soundtrack bounces between lots of genres, be it orchestral or powermetal or grunge.

World of Warcraft (Retail)
  • It is hard to recommend this game to a newcomer who has never played WoW before. The game was once about exploring a fantasy world with other people, but hasn't been that since WotLK. The singleplayer story experience is incredibly bifurcated. Unlike GW2 and FF14, you cannot straightforwardly experience the story from start to finish. The story begins in another game called Warcraft 3. The first few story arcs ingame WoW are not very entertaining to play through. Major story events and characterizations happen outside of the game in books and short stories that are no longer in print, and most of which aren't entertaining to read since they were cash grabs. Some of the best ingame questlines and important story moments were arbitrarily removed from the game for FOMO. And so on. You can play through old expansion storylines, but the world will feel lonely and the game piss easy, so you have to question why aren't you just reading a book instead.
  • Gameplay wildly varies. The game devs arbitrarily rework every class every 2 years, even if everyone is satisfied with how that class plays. They break what wasn't broken. Common sentiment is that combat wise, WoW's classes were the most fun to play during MoP in 2012-2014.
  • The zones vary in quality. TBC, WoD, and Shadowlands allow you to visit really alien worlds and high fantasy areas. Outside of those expansions, you get a high fantasy zone here and there but overall the world feels mundane. However, starting from MoP/WoD onward, all zones start looking gorgeous, be they high fantasy or mundane, with gorgeous skyboxes. I'd say that WoW is one of the prettiest looking games. Not the highest fidelity like a photorealistic moviegame, but it looks aesthetically good.
aspJlrX.jpg
Frostfire Ridge from WoD.
nD7IPCL.jpg
Argus from Legion.
9zP7mKb.jpg
Kul'Tiras from BFA.
  • Has the most variety in playable races of any MMO. WoW generally avoids the "reproportioned human" or "human with a rubber mask on" look. Very masculine looking characters, though there are a few tumblr furries and scalies in there.
  • Voice acting is overall decent.
  • Soundtrack varies by era. Vanilla through WotLK leaned towards ambient music, some of which is very atmospheric and memorable. From Cata onward you start getting more melodic music, which peaks in quality with MoP and WoD. After that the music quality declines, with some standout tracks here and there but the expansion OSTs become overall forgettable. Soundtrack is entirely orchestral, with zero metal or vocal songs.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
If I remember correctly, FF14 n Runescape are the only ones not bleeding out players, for whatever its worth.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Look.

MUDs were the best. Then UO. Then came the age of sufferable decline with EQ and Anarchy Online. Then the plunge into a decline at an insufferable level.

I'm not aware of EQ and AO revival attempts, but there are quite a few MUDs still kicking and UO got revived with Outlands. I'd try those. That's what I'll do when I get some free time and energy to learn a new MMO.

How is EQ decline? And have you even played it?

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
https://uooutlands.com/about/ or https://shardsofdalaya.com/intro.php or https://www.returnofreckoning.com/
If we're not counting freeshards running custom content and talking about retail games, probably The Lord of the Rings Online, OSRS, Project Gorgon, EVE Online or Guild Wars 2 depending what you want out of MMOs.

Not him but I understand the sentiment because I hold vanilla Everquest in the same regard as Morrowind, an acceptable downgrade from what came before. I don't necessarily love it but at least it isn't offensive compared to what comes later. While Ultima Online was attempting to replicate a pen & paper RPG experience in a massively multiplayer online setting, Everquest is a guided themepark experience.

I can't speak to the state of retail EQ but what makes P1999 and Shards of Dalaya tolerable is it doesn't have anti-social features like many modern MMOs where it's practically a single player experience outside a fringe minority of group typically endgame content. That's the thing that bothers me most about most modern MMORPGs. Why impose MMORPG design and networking restrictions on something that could easily be turned into something along the lines of Guild Wars or Destiny or Vermintide?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
EverQuest is miles ahead of any other game, even today. MUDs are text so they can do some things better and easier but there is no action gaming in a mud. EQ could be as intense as any action game but it's a deep RPG too. I've played all the MMOs and nothing comes close. I like WoW's PVP and Battlegrounds but everything else was done better in EQ. GW1 is cool and LOTRO is ok, but mostly MMOs are dumb as shit and people only put up with it because they never played EQ.

^ I played Shards of Dalaya for years but don't recommend it unless you like raiding. That's the focus. It has some great group content too which I love but nobody wants to do it, the raid gear is the best gear so that's what became the focus. I think that's why the population died so fast. It used to be the most populated EQ emu server.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
but there is no action gaming in a mud
You're saying you never experienced a wall of text assault you and having to shoot out commands like bullets out of an automatic rifle.

Imagine a round length of 1.5 seconds.
Let's say you get attacked by 3 participants. A rogue trips and stabs you, a warrior bashes you, a mage casts hold person on you. You have less than 1.5 seconds to react THIS round or you'll get hit with more stuff the next round.
You manage to pray to gods for a one in 15 minutes dispell of all negative effects, get up, run north - 3 commands in the span of 1.5 seconds. Okay, great, now that's only the beginning, because as soon as you do, they follow you into the room and assault you with more abilities and spells. You can try to use your next 1.5 seconds to disable one of them and then continue running away. That requires extremely quick thinking and crazy typing skills.

"No action in muds"...

I won't pretend - I only played EQ2. It had less to offer than Muds and UO, it was casul-friendly and people mostly played the "game around the game" - had romances between players, websites dedicated to their guilds, their characters had stories, etc. This was the charm of the early internet. Take it away, and gameplay-wise it's a step-back from older games. The very definition of decline. EQ was like an early beta of EQ2 before being augmented with more mechanics. EQ2 was a Pre-LA2. And LA2 was an almost-WoW. And WoW was a turd in a candy wrapping.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Old School Runescape hands down. Fantastic MMORPG and I don't think anything compares in terms of overall quality of experience outside of something like EVE, which is so different it's apples to oranges. It takes a special kind of autism to enjoy, but since you're on the Codex, I think there's a fair chance you'd qualify.

vibehunter

Learned
Final Fantasy XIV
  • Play this if you are a JRPG or visual novel enthusiast but are running out of good JRPGs and visual novels to play. If you haven't yet played the classic Final Fantasy games, Xenogears, Suikoden, Trails, Utawarerumono, etc, then go play them first before you start scraping the bottom of the barrel with FF14.
  • The game is a 400+ hour long visual novel. 50% of that time is spent watching cutscenes. Another 25% spent running to the next cutscene or NPC to talk to. 25% is actual gameplay, but combat in FFXIV is a snoozefest, and half of your combat in FF14's story is done by yourself, either running to a quest location to spawn mobs that you burst down in 5 seconds, or running through a solo instance. The other half of your combat time is spent in 15 minute long dungeons where you get matched with other randos who you never see again after you part ways.
  • The story pulls a bait and switch, with the first two story arcs being about geopolitical conflict, but then by the time of Shadowbringers the game changes in tone to being a power of friendship shounen anime where everything goes right for the heroes and there is no tension anymore. Long running subplots are abandoned. The main cast of characters, the Scions, are pleasant but not memorable like other JRPG casts. That isn't to say that the game is terrible; the early arcs are very enjoyable, but the story becomes less and less satisfying as it goes on.
  • The zones aren't very interesting ingame, both conceptually and technically. There are some high fantasy elements here and there, but they are often in the distant background. There are some cool high fantasy areas in the 15 minute long dungeons but usually not in the open world maps that you can spend a lot more time in. You never really get that strong high fantasy world feel like you do in WoW or GW2. On a technical level the environments (texturing, models, shaders, etc) doesn't look as good as WoW or FFXIV. Also, due to engine limitations, you don't really have fun exploration like you do in WoW or GW2, and there are invisible walls everywhere. Don't go to FFXIV for fun map exploration.
jAdq4pM.jpg
Yanxia from Stormblood, one of the more conceptually interesting places in the game, because of the magitek gates, but they deactivate as you progress the story. Sorry about the fog and nighttime shot but due to the day/night cycle and weather system, it can be difficult to get optimal lighting and weather conditions.
IX1BAHq.jpg
One of the most visually imaginative areas in the game but it is a dungeon you only get to visit for 15 minutes. Maybe only one or two open world zones actually look as cool as this.
  • On a side note, vanilla FFXIV looks very grey and desaturated. You really need to install Reshade and crank up the colors. I recommend Desperius' gameplay reshade (you have to join his Discord to download his preset). Above pictures taken with his reshade on.
  • All of the playable races are variations on humans. Human with bunny ears, bulky human, short little human, human with a rubber tiger mask on, etc. The aesthetic of the game slants towards feminized characters. You can't make an appealing masculine character in this game.
  • Voice acting starts off rough but then almost everyone got recast and the studio changed locations and the VA quality begins to increase over time, becoming pretty good by Shadowbringers.
  • Soundtrack is overall good (especially compared to Western games, but that's a low bar), but becomes increasingly riddled with obnoxious vocal pop songs from Shadowbringers onward. The soundtrack bounces between lots of genres, be it orchestral or powermetal or grunge.

This is a really good write-up on FF14 and as someone who's played it since Heavensward I agree with pretty much every point.

I don't think a JRPG enthusiast would derive much enjoyment from this game. Or rather, the amount of enjoyment they'd get would not be worth the amount of time invested compared to other series.

A note on the effeminate characters: It's not an exaggeration. It is fucking impossible to make a cool-looking masculine transmog for a male character in this game. The male gear looks like shit and badass armor pieces are few and far between.

v1rus

Arcane
Guild Wars 2

I played very actively during most of season 1, stopping somewhere around the time Scarlet started attacking LA.

Every time I get a MMO itc, I'm thinking of coming back to GW2. Couple things bugging me -

Will I feel like I missed seasons 2 onward? I'm aware they are not rotating like season 1 was, but is their content still doable and alive?

Whats the end game PvE like? I know they added more fractals, and actually made raids, but are those alive or completely abandoned like Arah p1-4 (especially 4...) was? Are they any good? Most people are of the opinion that if you want challenging end game dungeons, WoW is the place to go. But the gameplay loop of leveling your alts, then gearing them, and so on and on is so fucking stale.

Turn_BASED

Educated
You're saying you never experienced a wall of text assault you and having to shoot out commands like bullets out of an automatic rifle.

Let's say you get attacked by 3 participants. A rogue trips and stabs you, a warrior bashes you, a mage casts hold person on you. You have less than 1.5 seconds to react THIS round or you'll get hit with more stuff the next round.
You manage to pray to gods for a one in 15 minutes dispell of all negative effects, get up, run north - 3 commands in the span of 1.5 seconds. Okay, great, now that's only the beginning, because as soon as you do, they follow you into the room and assault you with more abilities and spells. You can try to use your next 1.5 seconds to disable one of them and then continue running away. That requires extremely quick thinking and crazy typing skills.

"No action in muds"...

I won't pretend - I only played EQ2. It had less to offer than Muds and UO, it was casul-friendly and people mostly played the "game around the game" - had romances between players, websites dedicated to their guilds, their characters had stories, etc. This was the charm of the early internet. Take it away, and gameplay-wise it's a step-back from older games. The very definition of decline. EQ was like an early beta of EQ2 before being augmented with more mechanics. EQ2 was a Pre-LA2. And LA2 was an almost-WoW. And WoW was a turd in a candy wrapping.
EQ was and still is the only online game to offer a “Mt Everest” of sorts for MMO gamers to climb. EQ was a pain in the ass at times. It could be cumbersome. Just figuring out how to level up and gear correctly was a big undertaking. Take dual boxing, for example. My necromancer was grinding up with a Druid dual boxed to provide buffs/debuffs.

These days that shit is frowned upon and bad game design. But back then? All part of the climb, baybee. To even get near the “summit” was truly epic and worth the journey. Raiding Inny was unparalleled and could take almost a whole day. And if you died you could potentially lose a whole level.

Yes that’s brutal. And yes that’s insane. But that’s what made it great. Did muds offer “more?” Sure, in some ways, but not where it counted. EQ gave its players an unprecedentedly epic adventure in a fully 3D world, complete with extreme highs and lows like no other game, muds included.

fuzz

Liturgist
Freeshards set on a patch-level before the game went to shit.
Everquest (Project 1999, The Al'kabor Project), Dark Age of Camelot (Eden).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
EQ gave its players an unprecedentedly epic adventure in a fully 3D world
The reason I preferred MUDs over UO was because my brain-based GPU was capable of a 144 fps, 4k rendering with PBR materials, raytraced shadows and reflections, global illumination, postprocessing and particles... and we were in the 90s when real 3d looked like a grandma's flabby ass.

When NWN came out, I couldn't believe the decline we underwent from pre-baked backgrounds and sprites. The first 3d game that didn't look like ass was VTMB in December 2004.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

"No action in muds"...

Typing fast in a mud is not action and you are retarded for even trying to relate this to EQ. Also everything you said about it is just wrong, I don't know where you get your shitty information but it had more to offer than UO that was kind of the whole point... It was not casual friendly at all, it was the extreme opposite of that, how can you be so far off? And this game around the game is nonsense too, what does that even mean? Some people got married and shit but that's like 0.001% of the population... Most people were only interested in killing creatures and getting loot. Your fake history is retarded. The websites dedicated to guilds came later and were only interested in raiding. Gameplay wise is what makes EQ special and the fact that you are talking about it without playing it and without knowing anything about it makes you really fucking stupid. It's especially annoying because EQ is an amazing game that is hard to even describe, most normies would never try because it's old and hardcore but it would completely change their standards if they did. And yet here's comments about it from some cunt who never played it and is saying things that are opposite of everyone elses reality. Fuck you.

p.s. There's also the fact that it doesn't really exist anymore... Nearest is p99 which is not near at all.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Typing fast in a mud is not action
It's every bit as much action as any other reflex-based action. The end result is the same: You see something happen and you respond to it by machinegunning the keyboard, the speed at which you do being the difference between life and death. People who tried to claim it wasn't action died swift deaths at my hands as I machinegunned the keyboard in a caffeine-fuelled bender at 1800 rounds a minute, the speed of which exceeded even a computer's ability to react at the time: People would (often in violation of game rules) attempt to best me by using automatic response triggers in an attempt to catch me before I could strike...but I was faster than even the machine. If a game in which you have to be WOH-pah! Ninja agile! to achieve peak performance in isn't action, what is it?

Turn_BASED

Educated
It's every bit as much action as any other reflex-based action. The end result is the same: You see something happen and you respond to it by machinegunning the keyboard, the speed at which you do being the difference between life and death. People who tried to claim it wasn't action died swift deaths at my hands as I machinegunned the keyboard in a caffeine-fuelled bender at 1800 rounds a minute, the speed of which exceeded even a computer's ability to react at the time: People would (often in violation of game rules) attempt to best me by using automatic response triggers in an attempt to catch me before I could strike...but I was faster than even the machine. If a game in which you have to be WOH-pah! Ninja agile! to achieve peak performance in isn't action, what is it?
Great news fam there is non-stop, high octane action just waiting for you over at https://play.typeracer.com/

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It may be action but it's just not the same as sneaking through a dangerous immersive 3D world in realtime. And it sucks that EQ has to be discussed with this crazy old shit like muds and UO. They may be related but EQ could and should be compared to mainstream favorites like Skyrim and Dragons Dogma and Nioh, Wizardy 8, M&M, etc. So many games since have come along which have no idea EQ ever existed, and yet it did exactly what their games did but far better, with a tiny budget, and 24+ years ago.

It could be an example on how to completely transform all those kinds of games into far better games with very little extra cost, but instead it just becomes forgotten and more obscure each year. If anyone talks about MMOs the big one is WoW and some retard always says UO>EQ even though they never played it. It's idiotic, people will reject the cure just because.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom