Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Managerial Business Sim Games?

thepickler

Novice
:shock:

:?

I liked "Motor City", "Detroit," "SimTower" and some Freeware thing where you could run your own videogames company, and tried a few random others the names of which I don't now recall, but a consistent problem seems to be that the AI just isn't very good.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

X40c

Novice
Well, if you're such a dirty capitalist you could try Capitalism 2, which tries to emulate a whole capitalist economy, where you can create an evil corporation and manage firms of all kinds.
You could also try some of the train/transport sims, like Railroad Tycoon or Transport Tycoon, if you already haven't. OpenTTD is quite nice a time-killer.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Anno 1602, Anno 1503.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Jasede said:
Anno 1602, Anno 1503.
Is the absence of Anno 1404 intentional? I've not played its prequels, so I don't know how it compares to them, but it's quite nice.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wouldn't say it's the best, not by a long shot, but The Guild can be entertaining for a while. It's not very deep, but it's pretty broad. There's tons of stuff to do, but the gameplay mechanics lack some much desired depth.

Raapys

Arcane
The Guild 2( better than the first one I'd say, especially with the big mod(s)), Patrician 3, Capitalism 1( seem to remember it being better than the second ) and TTD are all good business management games.

Of course, once you understand the game mechanics and how to make a profit, all the games do get rather easy after a while.

ever

Scholar
I vote for anything but ottd.

Its about traffic control and not business

The developers are just a bunch of autistic bus timetable memorizing screwups

Make for good programers tho

ever

Scholar
X40c said:
Well, if you're such a dirty capitalist you could try Capitalism 2, which tries to emulate a whole capitalist economy, where you can create an evil corporation and manage firms of all kinds.
You're a moron

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
RollerCoaster Tycoon, it's not just Transport Tycoon with rollercoasters (although it's the same creator) but it has a better art style as well.

thepickler

Novice
Thanks for the responses, lots more to try now, much appreciated.

I just stumbled across a game by LucasArts called "Afterlife" and while it doesn't exactly fit the nature of the request here, so far it's pretty fun.

catfood

AGAIN
My favorite are Rollercoaster Tycoon, Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Railroad Tycoon 2.

Caesar 3 and Pharaoh are also pretty fun.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
GeneralSamov said:
Patrician 2, 3
Fuck, yeah! I remember playing hotseat with my friend, ages ago. He'd make money, in typically Jewish fashion, by affording loans whereas I'd do it the old-fashioned way-- buying low & selling high. It isn't until later in the game where we started to build factories and get into the nitty-gritty. Mmmmm, good times.
ever said:
X40c said:
You're a moron
Butthurt detected.

Mor

Novice
Loosen thy sphincter ever, you're going to have a nosebleed.

Sawyer's stuff and Capitalism 2 are great picks, as is Pizza Tycoon.

thepickler

Novice
Pizza Tycoon vs Pizza Tycoon 2?

Should I bother with the expansion packs for Guild 2, or the Venice remake from last year - or just stick to original + mods? I'm buying #1 in the series right now. It's about 45% bought.

I also saw something called Startopia that seemed neat - any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd rather call it Theme Hospital in space with Dungeon Keeper elements. Or the other way around.

Man, Theme Hospital was so good.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Anyone in the mood to test, survive and report about the "HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL" StarTopia 1.2 patch made by one of the former coders/whatever?
http://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/st ... topia.html

Tom Forsyth said:
Its template was very much a cross between Bullfrog's "Theme Hospital" and "Dungeon Keeper", since many of the people who worked on StarTopia previously worked on both those games, and indeed went on to make Lionhead's "The Movies".
Hehe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom