Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best joysticks or controllers of all time?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What does that have to do with the controller layout, EXTENDEDDOUCHE. Fucking hell, this site is full of cuck retards.

It has to do with enjoying the controller for it's stick/trigger moron.

Drax

Arcane
This was my weapon of choice during the 90s:

Z0097521.jpg

:love:

EDIT: The triggers are buttons for chrissake, very PS2. Love the design for some reason as well. Screams cheap 2000s hardware.
s-l1600.jpg
How dare you call this cheap 2000s hardware! :D I still use this exact modell since eternity and it is undestroyable. But yeah, some analogue triggers would be good. Interestingly its successor the Logitech Rumblepad F310 has analogue triggers, but they managed to fuck up the analogue sticks which have enourmous deadzones.

This^ I have two of them and love it.

BTW I'm intrigued by Apple Pippin controller:
Bandai_Apple_Pippin_Applejack_Controller_FL-s.jpg

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So many (presumably) console plebs in here who's learned the wrong way to use the classic joysticks.

:Flash:

Arcane
The best Joystick I ever had was a Boeder Flightstick Pro.
It was a cheap joystick, so they wanted to save cost on the roll axis. As a result, it had a roll axis that was designed to be operated with the thumb of the left hand, while the index finger operated the throttle. I liked that better than the normal "twist the stick" design. Also it had hardware switches for Windows/Dos and CH/Thrustmaster compatibility, which guaranteed that you had the best support possible for every game.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Talking about "console plebs" in the context of 90s gaming doesn't make much sense. In those times consoles were actually good instead of overpriced pcs like today.

In Finland computers and computer games were very much segregated in gaming magazines from the consoles, both had their own magazines up till the early 2000s, and consoles were very much looked down during the 90s.

Edit: herpderp, shouldn't write when tired, clarified posting.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Gamecube controler is probably my favourite of all, alongside the design of the Gamecube console itself. The pad is so fucking comfortable to play with, it's main problem is the shitty directional buttons. There's a bunch of other controlers I like, but mainly because nostalgia and aesthetical design.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I recently ordered one of those Buffalo SFC controllers. Up until now my controller of choice was the X360 controller, but goddamn was its D-pad garbage. Playing 2D games on it sucks ass, when I want to input a diagonal direction the design of the D-pad often makes it so that you will often accidentally swerve with your finger towards another direction, so sometimes you'll face left when you meant to input right. Supposedly the Buffalo controller is the best SNES Controller-like on the market, so let's find out. I've been meaning to play Contra III, but I found it impossible to find a comfortable set-up on the keyboard for the shoulder buttons.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just got the One controller to replace my 360, which was murdered by my cat. D-pad is better, but it's still not particularly great. Heard how excessively sensitive it was compared to the 360 but it's actually pretty much the same shit. Tried some shmups and didn't feel like my playing was any worse (I.E., i'm still just as shit). Dark Souls also worked fine. Played some racing sims and actually seems a little better.

One massive advantage of this thing is that it is bluetooth and can be made into a wired controller with a simple micro usb cable. This is a god send because the wired 360 controller can't be found anymore, at least here in Italy, and the wireless 360 one needs that fucking receiver even when you have a charging cable attached to it, and that thing died on me after 3 years, and had to replace it with a Chinese knock off because the original part was like 20 euros. Fuuuuck that shit.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Just got the One controller to replace my 360, which was murdered by my cat. D-pad is better, but it's still not particularly great. Heard how excessively sensitive it was compared to the 360 but it's actually pretty much the same shit. Tried some shmups and didn't feel like my playing was any worse (I.E., i'm still just as shit). Dark Souls also worked fine. Played some racing sims and actually seems a little better.

One massive advantage of this thing is that it is bluetooth and can be made into a wired controller with a simple micro usb cable. This is a god send because the wired 360 controller can't be found anymore, at least here in Italy, and the wireless 360 one needs that fucking receiver even when you have a charging cable attached to it, and that thing died on me after 3 years, and had to replace it with a Chinese knock off because the original part was like 20 euros. Fuuuuck that shit.

I had the same problem, my Xbox 360 controller wireless receiver just suddenly died, and my controllers are already wore out so I decided just to buy some cheap-ish clone of XBone controller, which has pretty good analogue sticks, but dpad stinks, so I bought the 8BitDo gamepad.

I kinda want to buy the new Hyperkin "The Duke" controller, which is huge, but it's so fucking expensive, probably because it has utterly pointless screen. 80 fucking bucks for controller? Fuck that shit.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Best arcade sticks :
actual arcade sticks, like Seimitsu's.
DfzbrVJ.jpg

No one sells prebuilt sticks with the actually good stuff so you need to mod some prebuilt shit with the right parts.

Best joystick :
W3P1DEi.jpg

If you didn't answer Sidewinder, you need to hand out your geek card sir.

Best 2d era controllers :
pfW6hmN.jpg

Nothing beats an actually good dpad worth a salt. Most modern dpads sucks, including clones of that controller. With that said, although there's some issue with some diagonal inputs, I'm happy with 8bitdo's clones of the SNES controller, much happier than I was with using the dpad of any modern controller. This is what you need for anything that's 2d platforming or metroidvania types. It's also pretty good for shmups, pick this if you don't want to build your own arcade stick, by far it's going to be 300% better than using the dpad or analog stick of a modern controller, or a shitty arcade stick not meant for shmups like all the prebuilt garbage sold by madcatz, hori and the likes.
Anything more modern might need the..

King Of Generic.
S5FSw7z.jpg

The 360 controller isn't great at anything, but it's viable for most things. The analog triggers makes stuff like car simulators more palatable to play than competing pads (although naturally you'd prefer a wheel setup if you are serious about it), the analog stick and button placement are far more comfortable to hold for hours than the hand breaking dual shocks. The dpad is really shit but it's not like it's the only modern controller with a shit dpad. Durability is exemplary, that stuff can take a beating.. unlike its newer replacement for the One, known for early analog drift or breaking at the shoulder buttons..
The 360 controller is what you need for anything too cazul to bother with better setups. Anything you're relaxing with on your couch that doesn't require KBM, dpads, sticks or whatever.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Gamecube controller was a fucking mess.

There's a reason why Nintendo still sells a shitload of GameCube controllers and why every console since the GameCube itself has support for them.
It simply was the best controller of the Sixth generation of video game consoles.
GameCube controller is probably the comfiest and most durable modern gamepad that exists. The only reason it isn't the best one ever made, it's because it doesn't have a left trigger, a select button and the joystick buttons.
serveimage

For PC the best one is obviously the 360 one. It's durable, comfy and relatively cheap.
I bough 2 Chinese replicas from eBay, costed me 12 euros each and lasted for about 4 years.

So I now use this one instead:
serveimage
Bough it on black Friday for about 20 euros, it's does the job quite nicely.
I am on the market for another pad since my old speedlink has some dead keys. It lasted almost 10 years and I got it for something like 15€ and am now wondering if the new speedlink are as sturdy as the old ones.

I thought on getting a fightpad but it seems their durability is shaite. Probably going to end up buying a ps4 dualshock just for the pc...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It lasted almost 10 years and I got it for something like 15€ and am now wondering if the new speedlink are as sturdy as the old ones.

Well I have my SpeedLink for 3 years now
It still works, but since both trigger buttons are made of plastic they broke (so know I press the exposed rubber buttons that connect to the circuit)
I don't much mind that, but what really gets me is the fact that the left joystick drifts every time I plug it in - as such as soon I plug it I have to press the joystick button down and do a couple of circular motions to kinda "reset" it
Fortunately that "solution" does the trick, and I have no other issues with it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom