Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Heroes of Might & Magic game

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I will never get tired of looking at HoMM II. Goddamn, that's such a sexy looking game.

Aemar

Arcane
h1_3.png
vs
screenshot-world-map.png

I think the resource icons and the trees are identical.

Gaznak

Learned
HoMM 2 for sure. It's just unsurpassable in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and style.

HoMM 4 is very good as well, not fantastically good as 2nd but very good nonetheless (the alternate 'either - or' upgrade trees alone are ingenious).

HoMM 3 is probably the most overhyped game in gaming history.

Lagi

Savant
i dont like that in each HoMM, each tier is physically stronger than the one below. F.ex. In HoMM 5 the shadow witch has 100 hp same as tier below hydras. Which make no sense that fragile female that weight 50 kg has same toughness as 5 ton monster.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I want to know how you can like HoMM2 and not HoMM3. HoMM2 is more cohesive in aesthetic and gameplay but fundamentally HoMM3 remained very similar to HoMM2 other than in visuals and music.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I genuinely think these users are reincarnations of that one guy that used to write very long posts saying stuff like "III had lack of hero variety compared to I-II" (when all heroes in I-II were literally identical while III introduced varied initial skills and specials).

Blake00

Learned
lol here we go again.. over in the various HoMM communities over the decades there's always been a small amount of people who say 2 is the best and that 3 is overrated and everyone else is like "what is WRONG with you?" haha. Its pretty funny really as 3 is basically 2 with more added to it so if you liked 2 then you should like 3 which is why most people do.

As pointed out above really the only reason someone could prefer 2 over 3 is aesthetics ie graphics and music styles. That I can understand (especially as like I said earlier in this thread I still love HoMM1's art style that was lost in HoMM2) and others probably can too as art styles ratings are in the eye of the beholder.. but when you don't mention those things and you just flat out say HoMM2 is better than 3 you lose the crowd right away as HoMM3 was similar to 2 in gameplay but superior in almost every way.

And yeah Succession Wars mod is now a great bridge between the 2 for those that prefer the aesthetics of HoMM2. I've been playing it quite a bit lately as they've added in HoMM1 campaign maps too so it's rather fun playing classic HoMM1 campaign maps with HoMM2 graphics in the HoMM3 engine with all its enhancements lol. New version of SW on the way soon too!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
there's always been a small amount of people who say 2 is the best and that 3 is overrated and everyone else is like "what is WRONG with you?" haha. Its pretty funny really as 3 is basically 2 with more added to it

pretty much

Heroes 1 is really barebone
Heroes 2 is great, the first reveal of the great formula
Heroes 3 is like upgraded Heroes 2
Heroes 4 is kinda weird but enjoyable in its own way cause its different

No other Heroes games exist for me, I never bothered with 5, 6, 7, 8

RuySan

Augur
Kings Bounty was my most played game on the Amiga. When the first HOMM was released I bought it on the first week and and played it to death. The box was gorgeous and I regret selling it. It never felt barebones to me.

Blake00

Learned
Yeah it's funny.. there really shouldn't be a reason to play HoMM1 anymore as the sequels have everything it has and more.. yet I go back to HoMM1 every few years for a few games or a full campaign playthrough. The later games are better yet there's just something about HoMM1 that brings me back to it... something nostalgically awesome about it's art, sounds and simplicity (eg it makes a good 'after work' game when you're brain is cooked but you still wanna play something lol).

I still remember back in 96 when I put a PC gamer demo disc to try different stuff and came across the HoMM1 demo.. It just shat all over everything else I tried and I was completely hooked in seconds and was devo when I hit the forced 20 turns demo limit. I just kept restarting and playing until that limit over and over like an addict lol. By the time I finally got the full game a year or so later HoMM2 was already out but I stuck to my guns and played through HoMM1 first anyway.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The quality of both 2/3 largely depends on the quality of the map you’re playing. 2 has some major balancing issues, while 3 adds to much bloat. They both balance each other that way, amusingly enough.

So, they’re both worth playing under all circumstances although I wouldn’t say one is definitively better than the other barring mods, extra maps, and so on.

Speaking of mods, Heroes 2 got a big one called FHeros (I think). Anyone try it out and how is it?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Speaking of mods, Heroes 2 got a big one called FHeros (I think). Anyone try it out and how is it?
fheroes2 runs perfectly smoothly on my old computer (8+ years). The added features (list) are convenient and don't feel out of place.

Gaznak

Learned
As pointed out above really the only reason someone could prefer 2 over 3 is aesthetics ie graphics and music styles.

Well then, Mr. Blake00, won't you deny that Civ2 is better than Civ3? :P

HoMM3 is like HoMM2 just wider, deeper, fatter blah-blah-blah. Yes, indeed it is. But who said that being fatter is better? HoMM3 lost the atmosphere, visually, audially AND gameplay-wise. It lost the sense of proportions, limits and measure.
Factions are 'balanced', every unit now is upgradable, maps are teeming with objects and stuff, Wait button is there at last, and so on, and so on, and so on... F**k that. This bestiality quite naturally led us to WoG abomination.

HoMM4 was a NWC (successful) try to break the (moldy) mold of HoMM3.

Blake00

Learned
Well then, Mr. Blake00, won't you deny that Civ2 is better than Civ3? :P
Haha oh you just had to take it there didn't you knowing what a Civ2 addict I am lol. That feels like a different comparison to the HoMM situation though as Civ3 is definitely not just Civ2 with more "fat".. Firaxis changed so much stuff it almost looked & felt like a different game. Some changes were for the better but plenty were not hence why many rejected Civ3 when it first came out. Official patches, addons and some great fan mods have certainly improved Civ3 over the decades so I quite like it now but it's still no match for Civ2 in my book, and those improvements came too late for others as many skipped from Civ2 to Civ4 kinda like how plenty of people rejected HoMM4 for being too different and skipped from HoMM3 to HoMM5 (not me though, I quite liked HoMM4 lol).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom