Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best game writing wise in the last 5 years?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
OH!!! Offcourse!!

Cryostasis, sleep of reason.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The Void? Not "AAA" enough, though.

MOTB does count as AAA however, so that's that.

J1M

Arcane
I was going to nominate Legacy of Kain: Defiance, but that was released 6 years ago...

KalosKagathos

Learned
Ed123 said:
Out of interest, what was Uncharted's writing like? I only ask because one of the chicks heavily involved in the Legacy of Kain series was creative lead/head writer/something.
Not bad, but nothing special. It has a couple of nice lines, and it doesn't make your ears bleed like writing in other shooters tends to, and that's about it. Definitely a step back for Amy.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Lesifoere said:
The Void? Not "AAA" enough, though.

MOTB does count as AAA however, so that's that.

Definitely The Void. Cryostasis also shows intelligence on that level. And then there is Mask of the Betrayer.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I nominate Dragon Age. It nails the fantasy sweet spot just right with twists on the usual cliched characters and plot, and the writing isn't something you would feel awkward to read, unlike Mass Effect.

Honorable mention to Knights of the Old Republic, the first one, but that one borrowed a bit too much from Star Wars to be really original.

oscar

Arcane
All the GTA's had decent plots. The one where at the start your betrayed by a corrupt Jewish businessman or something was cool.

Reminds me of:

95593-11.jpg

deus101

Archibald said:
Are The Void and Cryostasis good games as far as gameplay goes?

Can't speak for The Void but Cryostasis is Actionadventurish...
FPS BTW

deus101

Oh wait...no it wasn't...is..IS IS! ISNT!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DriacKin said:
Anachronox and Vice City aren't getting nearly enough love, methinks.
Because both are older than 5 years. If we were looking at the past 10 years then finding games with good writing becomes MUCH easier.

Ed123 said:
Out of interest, what was Uncharted's writing like?
Good fun in a B movie kind of way, but nothing great. Certainly better than the cringe-inducing stuff that you get in most of the other games though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
treave said:
I nominate Dragon Age. It nails the fantasy sweet spot just right with twists on the usual cliched characters and plot, and the writing isn't something you would feel awkward to read, unlike Mass Effect.

Honorable mention to Knights of the Old Republic, the first one, but that one borrowed a bit too much from Star Wars to be really original.

Yes you would. Dragon Age feels like something that a 10 year old wrote while trying to be as edgy as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom