Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Best Elder Scrolls game?

The best?

• Total voters

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Yeah, Arena's dungeons ported into Daggerfall (and adjusted a bit to make use of verticality) would be a dream come true.
Exactly what I thought when I played Arena earlier this year.

Ironically, while I probably appreciate Daggerfall's insane ambition more than any other game in the series, it is the only one I was never able to get into. I guess a modded Daggerfall Unity playthrough is in order in the near future.

Voted Morrowind btw, it and Arena are the only ones I completed while fairly close to vanilla (only used the key remapping mod for Arena, and I think my first run of Morrowind was completely unmodded but I'm not certain).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've played almost all of these games for hundreds of hours but somehow I feel nothing about them :M Morrowind is the one I felt more engaged with, but they're always missing something to make them great in my opinion.
- "TES is underwhelming"
- continues playing for hundreds of hours
The classic Codexian sentiment: "I spent 300 hours playing a game and it was terrible!"

Otter-Watermelon.png

I've played almost all of these games for hundreds of hours but somehow I feel nothing about them :M Morrowind is the one I felt more engaged with, but they're always missing something to make them great in my opinion.
- "TES is underwhelming"
- continues playing for hundreds of hours
The classic Codexian sentiment: "I spent 300 hours playing a game and it was terrible!"

Otter-Watermelon.png
I just wanted to know for sure if I could climb that mountain!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just ran around Daggerfall Nude collecting condoms er marks, and looking for prostitutes. (Well, one alt did that). I had a fuckton of alts in that game too. Arena or Daggerfall…. Oh decisions..

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Yeah, Arena's dungeons ported into Daggerfall (and adjusted a bit to make use of verticality) would be a dream come true.

Starting dungeon is boring but after that there's literally not a single weak link in the whole game - Labyrinthian, Crypt of Hearts, Crystal Tower (the zoo floor!), Halls of Colossus, Black Gate, Dagoth Ur all absolutely mint, and all placed perfectly to keep things feeling fresh. Even Elder Grove and Murkwood are cool for what they are. Every dungeon really visually and thematically interesting too.

Really wish someone would give Arena the full DF Unity treatment and let modders rework the mechanics (specifically rebalancing magic, reworking enemy AI so they don't mindlessly commit sodoku by spell reflect, and overhauling the loot system). OpenTESArena seems to be coming along at glacial pace.
Arena Unity would be a fucking awesome game

jaekl

Educated
Patron
You guys are so tacky lol. Daggerfall unity looks ridiculous, the whole tone and aesthetic is messed up and out of place for the era. It's similar to if they released an updated version of a classic movie like The Godfather with a bunch of snapchat filter overlays on top. You're fucking up the piece of art with all of this tampering

Lemming42

Arcane
Unmodded Daggerfall Unity looks identical to the original. Unless you played the shitty GoG version which has like five thousand AI texture mods, weird 3D models, and shaders installed over it.

Only real differences are that DF Unity runs in higher resolutions and you can enable greater draw distances.

Here's an official screenshot of unmodded DF Unity with many of the optional extras (lighting changes etc) turned off, except shadows:
retro-4-scaled.jpg

Frankly, "it's good if you mod it" shouldn't be considered as a positive argument because people mod bethesda's games so much they become something else entirely.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Unmodded Daggerfall Unity looks identical to the original. Unless you played the shitty GoG version which has like five thousand AI texture mods, weird 3D models, and shaders installed over it.

Only real differences are that DF Unity runs in higher resolutions and you can enable greater draw distances.

Here's an official screenshot of unmodded DF Unity with many of the optional extras (lighting changes etc) turned off, except shadows:
retro-4-scaled.jpg
Oh ok I accept that, I only ever saw the gog version

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah the GoG version is a real shocker. Unfortunately it gave a lot of people a bad impression of DF Unity when IMO Unity is the best way to play the game; it's basically just the original but with bugfixes, higher resolutions and optional unlimited draw distance (which looks incredible), smoother controls and a couple other QoL features, and the option to install some very good quest and guild mods.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

retro-4-scaled.jpg
Oh ok I accept that, I only ever saw the gog version
IIRC DFWorkshop explicitly recommends against using the GOG cut. Personally, I’ve been modding it myself. I used DREAM for a while and while it looks good I do still prefer the vanilla style. I’d definitely recommend giving Unity and modding its gameplay a try. The Archaeologist Guild mod is kinda a must-have if you want to play a non-caster (or just don’t want to do the MG again).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom