Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best D&D CRPG

Saxon1974

Prophet
What do you all think is the definitive computerized representation of the pinnacle of nerdom D&D?

Im talking about a game that made you feel like you were playing D&D while you played it.

Im leaning towards the Gold Box Games (Mostly pool of radiance) or maybe Temple of Elemental Evil.

The Infinity engine games real time combat killed the D&D feel for me.

sorry if something like this already posted but I couldn't find one in a search.

Cheers BROS

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea they were the only ones I could think of that really game me that D&D feeling. The Combat is very true to pen and paper D&D...only problem is sometimes the fights against 30 opponents can take a long freaking time!

Was really hoping to find something else D&D to play dang it....think we will ever get another true D&D game again?

The Eye of the Beholder games I love but they dont feel much at all like D&D.

DaveO

Erudite
GoldBox easily wins the contest. While the Infinity Engine did give memorable games, I know SSI can be relied on to have very difficult fights using almost any of the systems they created.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ToEE.

Gold Box games were good (with the occasional great) but there's too much variation in quality to judge them as a single entity. And if you take them as individual games most were a bizarre mashup of AD&D and 2nd Edition with lots of missing stuff. The Krynn games were pretty cool with the magic mechanics, but I never liked the setting itself that much.

Actually, outside ToEE I'd say Dark Sun. Of all SSI's games it was the one that captured the AD&D/2nd Edition rules best; even if it kept certain things hidden from the player (such as saving throws) they were still there under the hood.

Saxon1974

Prophet
DaveO said:
GoldBox easily wins the contest. While the Infinity Engine did give memorable games, I know SSI can be relied on to have very difficult fights using almost any of the systems they created.

It was pretty much between the Infinity games and the Gold box games for me but the real time combat just really frustrates me with the lack of control.

I think I played a few other SSI games years ago but dont remember very well.

What were some other good ones?

Here are a few SSI games I never tried

Wizards Crown (Might have played this but dont remember much)
The Summoning
Questron I and II

any others that are good?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Sceptic said:
ToEE.

Gold Box games were good (with the occasional great) but there's too much variation in quality to judge them as a single entity. And if you take them as individual games most were a bizarre mashup of AD&D and 2nd Edition with lots of missing stuff. The Krynn games were pretty cool with the magic mechanics, but I never liked the setting itself that much.

Actually, outside ToEE I'd say Dark Sun. Of all SSI's games it was the one that captured the AD&D/2nd Edition rules best; even if it kept certain things hidden from the player (such as saving throws) they were still there under the hood.

Agree on the quality of the Gold Box games. The only one that I ever really loved and felt like I was playing D&D was Pool of Radiance. I thought Curse was decent Silver Blades was boring.

As for TOEE I was never really a big fan, I like the combat but again some of the fights took over a half hour long to finish! Also, I didnt like that 70% was in one big templte.

Forgot about Dark Sun, dont really like the Desert setting but that's a personal opinion, I know alot of people like it.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Pool of Radiance though certainly not for the combat. I really don't understand what people see in Gold Box combat though I have to say Secret of the Silver Blades was oddly addictive.

I would rank em

1. Pool of Radiance

2. PST

3. BG

Saxon1974 said:
As for TOEE I was never really a big fan, I like the combat but again some of the fights took over a half hour long to finish!
Saxon1974 said:
Im talking about a game that made you feel like you were playing D&D while you played it.
Yes.
Saxon1974 said:
Also, I didnt like that 70% was in one big templte.
Saxon1974 said:
Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple ... ental_Evil

mondblut

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Yea they were the only ones I could think of that really game me that D&D feeling.

How about Dark Sun?

Was really hoping to find something else D&D to play dang it....think we will ever get another true D&D game again?

Why, Knights of the Chalice sequel is supposed to be in the works.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sceptic said:
This.

Dark Sun: The shattered Lands was also a major influence on Knights of the Chalice incidentally.

Dire Roach

Prophet
D&D: Shadow Over Mystara and D&D: Tower of Doom, w00t!

And before anyone whines that they weren't crpgs I will say this: ur wrong. They let you choose your character's name and class (that's more RPG elements than many other so-called RPGs!) and I can play them just fine on my computer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Speaking of TOEE -- Did Co8 ever release that hommlet replacement thingie? I've been meaning to try and do an ironman of the game, but Hommlet bores me to tears.

Would it be considered popamole to simply give the party 3k xp and a handful of gold, pretend I did all the fetch quests and proceed straight to the moathouse?

It is possible to go right to the moathouse although it is quite a touch more difficult. Give it a go without cheating first and if you're not oldschool enough ( :smug: ) then you may cheat.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Dire Roach said:
D&D: Shadow Over Mystara and D&D: Tower of Doom, w00t!

And before anyone whines that they weren't crpgs I will say this: ur wrong. They let you choose your character's name and class (that's more RPG elements than many other so-called RPGs!) and I can play them just fine on my computer.

I remember trying to explain how that game felt like a pen and paper experience.

JrK

Prophet
Ulminati said:
Speaking of TOEE -- Did Co8 ever release that hommlet replacement thingie? I've been meaning to try and do an ironman of the game, but Hommlet bores me to tears.

You mean the Welkwood Bog? It is an area with low-level encounters. It is in the newest version.

Black

Arcane
ToEE.
Lol @ infinity games. They could lose their D&D "mechanics" and nothing would be lost. Especially for Torment.

Jambi227

Novice
Having never played pen and paper D&D in my life and being strictly a videogame-RPGer, I don't have the greatest opinion of the system after my attempts at playing Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape Torment.

While trying to play these critically acclaimed games, I figured out I don't like the character development system. I love a game where I have to learn the system and its intricacies, but there's too much fiddliness with D&D. I feel like I'm gimping myself if I don't follow character leveling guides, and this is especially tedious when I have a whole party-full of people to level.

I'm always on the lookout for great D&D-like games though. With a game system that's similar to D&D but not strictly based off its rules. I love dungeon crawling, good story lines, party interaction, and especially great tactical combat... Is there a game like this out there for me?

Black

Arcane
Jambi227 said:
I don't have the greatest opinion of the system after my attempts at playing Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, and Planescape Torment.
Duh, all of the games you've mentioned have shitty gameplay. Torment at least has something to make up for it, but if you want D&D experience in a computer game try out Kings of the Chalice and Temple of the Elemental Evil.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
ToEE
KotC
Incursion
Goldbox

Infinity Engine games implementation of AD&D is too messy and incomplete.

Ulminati said:

Would it be considered popamole to simply give the party 3k xp and a handful of gold, pretend I did all the fetch quests and proceed straight to the moathouse?
No, it would be just fixing the shitty party path design.

Also, creating one character and recruiting the rest in Hommlet a good way to bypass having to do the boring quests. Some of the cNPCs have higher levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom