Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best AoW for Hotseat Action?

LazyD

Liturgist
So my friend and I have been playing some serious HoMM3 hot seat action and loving it for the most part. I'm growing a bit tired of the HoMM setting and feel like mixing it up with a little Age of Wonders action.

Its been a while since I've played any of the AoW's. I remember them all being fun for the most part.. all having minor drawbacks but for the most part all of them being solid games.

Codex.. Help a fellow indecisive dexian on which to play with my friend.

Which is better and why?

Discuss!!11

Mcxz

Novice
Shadow Magic. It doesn't reduce to a hero war after X turns, as the two others does.

catfood

AGAIN
Either AOW1 with the leaders on map option turned off, or Shadow Magic. They have different game mechanics so you guys should try them out both and see which one you like most.

Murk

Arcane
I like AoW1 more but it pretty much is a case of hero vs hero, if you go for the sequel then take Shadow Magic for sure - though that too might boil down to heroes vs heroes depending on how your luck turns out with who shows up where.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
LazyD said:
Which is better and why?
If it's a choice between AoW2 and Shadow magic, then Shadow magic, it's the same but with more things. Just make sure to install the 1.4 unofficial patch
If it's a choice between AoW1 and AoW2 then take the one with graphics you prefer. Since you'll be spending hours upon hours staring at the screen and micromanaging sprites, might as well make it as pleasant as possible.

LazyD said:
all of them being solid games.
This, you can't go wrong anyway.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I guess, as others said, it should be Shadow Magic. But its very unbalanced between the races so either some custom modding or use mods arleady present. Or houserules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom