Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best 'Age of Sail' simulator.

jiduthie

Educated
I've become aware of the fact that this genre has been severely neglected, but I know i can rely on the codex to give some good, at least unexpected, answers.

What is the best naval combat simulator, which focuses on the period from the 16th to the 19th centuries, from the last fifteen years?

I'll take suggestions that include either turn-based or real-time, 2d or 3d, and tactical or strategic.

I'd prefer either turn-based or slow real-time 3d tactical with strategic or "rpg" elements.

Go!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Age of Sail 2 Privateers Bounty, which (if you get it to run) is great in the beginning. It's pretty unstable, and don't expect to be enthralled by the long term playability, either.

I'm enjoying Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships. I've had a handful of CTDs, but nothing that has made me pull my hair out. I'm a pretty big fan of the age of sail and I'm mostly pleased with the combat. I think it's by the same developer of PotC.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I had some fun with Age of Pirates 2 too. Basically an enhanced version of PotC, even takes some features from the Build mod I think.

Sort of lost interest when I found out that sailor wages increased depending on what size your ship was( in addition to needing more of them ) and that I'd never be able to actually afford using my Manowar without constantly doing transport missions to cover the 200K+ in wages each month.

Ah... I got lucky and capped a treasure fleet... Three heavy galleons with holds full of gold and silver. Sitting around with well over 2 million and I'm still in a frigate.

Nedrah

Erudite
I tried getting into abandoned ships, however the Peter Blood storyline is just so incredibly lame and not at all what I want from an Age of Sail sim. Maybe I missed something, but isn't that the only start that basically offers any real kind of story?

Raapys

Arcane
Well, I do have like 4million in the bank, it's just that they'll quickly diminish if I sail around in my stupid Manowar.

Yes Nedrah, I think it's the only real storyline. Excepting whatever 'story' quests and such you might get from governors; not sure how that works out, since I pretty much just went straight for the 'get lots of cash and good ships' part of the game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ancient Art of War at Sea FTW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom