Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

They're "enhancing" PST

And then they're gonna "enhance" IWD2

And then they're gonna "enhanced" The Eye of the Beholder series or who the fuck knows what else

oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Black Angel

Arcane
A shame I can't use buttons... Is there something you want to express with Disagree of Decline button?

I'll do when I get new files on my hands, don't be afraid. And nope, no news so far.
I'm also haven't yet able to use buttons. And I'm not exactly disagreeing with your post, because I haven't played PoE so I can't comment on the "old-skool, hardcore"-ness of the game. I'm just parroting what you said about people better off helping with translating and editing of Fallout of Nevada instead of talking about Tworment: Tides of Nu-men-era ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a more serious notes, I really, really don't see the point of this 'enhancements' other than helping retards like fluent getting the game playable on more modern machine and software other than Windows, and also to get it modded because, apparently, reading is teh hardest. Nothing a modder can do:
  • Options menu accessable from start screen
  • Most recent save accessable from start screen
  • Movies and plot events now work correctily in windowed mode
  • Options to adjust text size
  • Fewer clicks to cast spells, change weapons, use items, etc.
  • Performing actions no longer obscures game world
  • More autopause options Additional settings now available
  • Quick loot available
  • Load screens removed
  • Smoother area transitions
  • Combat log availabl
  • Option to see health status of creature
  • Chris Avellone editing pass [...] thousands of corrections and improvements
  • Framerate adjustment options
  • Tooltips easier to read
  • Option to cycle through spell descriptions
  • Option to make cursors larger
  • Option to apply sprite outlines and highlight the selected sprite
  • Optional grayscale on pause
  • Able to zoom out to gain a wider view of the game
  • Heal on rest option
  • Max HP on level up
  • Option to set language from within game
  • Option to read descriptions for special abilities
  • Players can now read quick item, spell, and special ability descriptions directly from the main UI
  • "Affected by" section added to character record
  • Fixed technical issues with plots
  • In-game help - The original PST interface was not clearly explained to the player. Now we have a series of help cards
  • More user interface feedback
  • Option to see walkable areas in area map
  • Object highlight mode
  • Journal / quest log highlights unread entries
  • Option to search the journal and quest text
  • Cloud saves (Steam-only)
  • Keyboard navigation of the UI without overriding user hotkeys
  • Aspect ratio support from 5:4 to 21:9
  • Cheat commands and debug console
  • Steam Achievements
  • Steam trading card
Except for getting it on Steam and (maybe) MCA's editing pass, corrections and improvements.

I also don't see the point of zooming in. Looting? Looking at TNO's Ravel's Annah's/FFG's/harlots and whores boobs? I don't have a problem whatsoever with this setting:
v9stg.png
I don't know where to access the info of the setting I chose. Iirc it was my original native laptop resolution (if that's what it's called), which is 1366x768. Although when I finally get back to it, I probably would tweak it to be closer to the originally intended screen setting, so I can play it The Way It Meant To Be™

Maybe I'm just a filthy newfag, but I don't remember any Top-Down Isometric cRPG at fixed angle needing zooming and shit. AoD had zoom, but it was coupled with camera rotation, and because it had different design priority in that aspect, it at least works. But with something like PS:T? There's just no point. Just add the option to feature items highlight like sfall did with Fallout and be done with it (something that modders could obviously do, and for free on top of that).

If they ever get around to enhancing AoD I fear Goral may show up on their doorstep....

Combat first. We still haven't determined who's the truest AoD fanboy, Goral or Lurker.

trial by ee combat!
Trial by RTwP combat?

Murk

Arcane
Didn't watch vid with Avellone; is it just like 30 minutes of him dying to zombie workers in the mortuary?

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'm just parroting what you said about people better off helping with translating and editing of Fallout of Nevada instead of talking about Tworment: Tides of Nu-men-era ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, seems like people actually followed the advice, nu-male era threads are not that active as they were. And why not explore the Codex a bit in a free time window without files? :P
Also, people seems interested in F:N.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
lukaszek
I see I have my own fanclub :obviously:.

Didn't watch vid with Avellone; is it just like 30 minutes of him dying to zombie workers in the mortuary?
Updated summary/commentary on this presentation:

lol @Avellone clicking at Intelligence, Charisma and Wisdom point by point and wasting time. No wonder Arcanum was too complicated to him (see Avellone's Arcanum Let's Play on Obsidian channel). (4 min.)

Since around 5th minute MCA plays in the mortuary and says that his motto is to kill all zombies which would be a mistake (once you get a certain ability you can talk with zombies and learn some very interesting things). At around 6th minute they show gameplay options and at 25th minute and 1 h 30 s you can see most of them.

The map looks worse (and impractical) than it looked, another change just for the sake of adding a change. (29 min. 30 s)

You can see special abilities synopsis at (33 min. 19 s)

At 45 min. they spoil many of the coolest spells.

Just before 1 h mark they talk about different language versions and 2 minutes 30 s later they say how hard it was to get Korean boxed copy of P:T published by Samsung.

Chris Avellone says that Polish version is the most awesome. (1 h 2 min. 40 s)
IHVGZh.png

Chris Avellone was asked if he will finish Arcanum playthrough and he said that it's in the queue (so no). They also speculated that Beamdog might do Arcanum: EE :/.

There was supposed to be a PlayStation game called "Doomguard" where you play as a Harmonium officer. (1h 10 min. 30 s)

MCA talks about the first working title being "Last Rites" not Torment but it was already in use so they went with Planescape: Torment. (1 h 11 min.)

MCA answers the question "was it hard to sell the pitch for the game?" It was not because they had to use the Planescape license anyway, which was very expensive (1 h 17 min.)

MCA said that James Lim (concept artist) didn't know English too well so MCA had to draw what he had in mind. Also Lim was a very energetic person and that's why we have Lim-Lims in game. (1 h 18 min. 40 s)

They talk about Planescape: Torment EE having a cheat console added for losers. (1h 19 min.) Avellone was worried that P:T would be compared to Sanitarium due to amnesia trope (1 h 20 min. 40 s), earlier he also said that he read Pages of Pain during the development but it didn't affect the game.

Artist Chris Jones loved the Wu-Tang clan symbol and tried to add it into every area. (1 h 22 min.)

Beamdog wanted to add "Beamdog was here" to the maps :argh:. (1h 23 min. 47 s)

One of the quests that was cut out was in the Modron Maze (which was supposed to make fun of Diablo which everyone at Interplay played and it drove MCA nuts) was rescuing Annah or Fall-From-Grace that would be kidnapped by Evil Wizard which would be fun for Fall because she's never been kidnapped. (1 h. 24 min.) Later there are some more trivia about P:T so start from 1h 24 min. if you're interested in these, e.g. about Fall-From-Grace (1h 30 min.) and why companions use the same weapons (1 min. 31 min.).

He talks about NPCs from Planescape setting that appear in in the game (1h 28 min.), e.g. Fell and Lothar.

MCA said he (they) would prefer if Nameless One could also be a woman :argh:. How much did they pay him to say that?

Talks about potential sequels, e.g. Dak'kon sequel (Pariah) and a sequel with Nameless One old companions like Deionarra. They've given away a poster with MCA's autograph but it was ruined by Beabdog's autographs. (1 h 33 min. 48 s)

MCA talks which monsters were created from scratch (1 h 35 min. 20 s)

Not allowing Priest class in was a pragmatic design decision since it saved a lot of effort and left the question open whether Nameless one was actually a god. (1 h 36 min.)

Answer to the question "What tools were used to render the backgrounds" (1 h 41 mi. 50 s)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris assumes only two genders :ehue:

Anyway, nothing would've changed if TNO was a woman. He doesn't do anything man-specific (like impregnating women lol). They probably would've changed Annah and FFG's feelings towards her, which would've been a shame, but that's it.

The priest class thing seems weird, I understand they not adding it in because of time/budget constraints, but how does it leave the question of TNO's divinity open? Was there ever such a question to begin with?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
how does it leave the question of TNO's divinity open?
Considering his mortality was one of the strongest entities we've met during our travels (possibly stronger than Ravel or Lothar) and that he was supposed to be a genius who maxed out in all classes I would say that a question like that was logical. And a priest by definition isn't a god so...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I guess if you extrapolate that from his insane stats it would make sense. Even in my first playthrough I didn't wonder whether he was a god though. Maybe because I knew that gods are forbidden in Sigil and they don't just walk around in their avatars all the time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, I guess if you extrapolate that from his insane stats it would make sense. Even in my first playthrough I didn't wonder whether he was a god though. Maybe because I knew that gods are forbidden in Sigil and they don't just walk around in their avatars all the time.
There have been stories about Gods walking in Sigil. They just kept to themselves to not attract LoP attention.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Now on YouTube:

OK, this is so much better and much more interesting than what McComb did where it was mostly "hurrrr durr cant say hurr durr trash fights hurr durr too many naked women"

That t-shirt also looks decent, if they had it for sale I might have to step on my pride and get one. :negative:

Edit: It's a bit dubious how they say they had to rebuild the UI because the original assets were lost. I find it so hard to believe when what was originally there looks good, but anything they added extra (like the border around the map) looks so bad and out of place.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Anyway, nothing would've changed if TNO was a woman. He doesn't do anything man-specific (like impregnating women lol). They probably would've changed Annah and FFG's feelings towards her, which would've been a shame, but that's it.

Well, Ravel granting him immortality because she's got the hots for him was kind of a big deal in terms of the story, and it relied on TNO being a man.

If they wanted to provide the options to play as both male and female, simply gender-swapping some characters wouldn't be an option. The best they could have done was to go the KoTOR2 route - with some NPCs not wanting to travel with you because of it (here that would probably be Annah), but having others to fill their place, and several characters behaving differently around you (like Darth Sion having a force crush on a female Exile) based on your gender.

And, like MCA said, all of that would have increased budget and development time. It would have been nice if MCA had full control over the EE to make additions like that, but I dread what Beamdog would have come up with given the chance to make the option of a female TNO :argh:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's weird to see a "Meet the Companions!" post like this for a 17 year old game: http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/04/companions-of-nameless-one.html

Companions of the Nameless One

Gather your party. Sigil awaits.

Planescape: Torment is known for many things; the strange setting, dark theme, rich story, and memorable companions. While travelling, you may encounter a ghostly guard with a distorted sense of justice, an imprisoned mad sorcerer cursed to burn eternally, a succubus who runs an intellectually brothel, and more! Read on to discover who your possible companions are in Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition!

Morte only takes 25% of physical damage plus this skull packs a mean bite.

Morte
The floating skull Morte is the first companion to join The Nameless One and your introduction to the weirdness of Planescape. Morte is the source of PST:EE’s humor, even his special ability reflects that: hurled insults cause opponents their lose temper and get to-hit and damage penalties.

Morte is voiced by Rob Paulsen, whom Baldur’s Gate fans may recognize as voices of Kivan and Anomen.

Dak’kon wields Zerth Blade - a weapon shaped by its user's will. Based on Dak’kon’s morale and fighter levels, the Zerth Blade will acquire special effects and enhancements.

Dak’kon
Fighter/mage Dak’kon is githzerai, a race whose people live in Limbo where the form of matter itself can be held together by concentration. Dak'kon is a scholar of githzerai mysticism, and travels to better understand the special teachings hidden in the Circle of Zerthimon. A player character with high Wisdom should read the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon, found in Dak'kon's backpack, and discuss its contents with Dak'kon to discover the history of githzerai.

Mitch Pileggi, best known for his role as Walter Skinner on The X-Files, voiced Dak’kon.

Annah grew up in the Hive and knows all the ins and outs of this place.

Annah
Annah-of-the-Shadows, also known simply as Annah, is a tiefling (part human, part demon) rogue. She is one of the more notable voices in Planescape as she speaks in the thick accent of the cant, a mix of rhyming slang and local dialect native to Sigil.

Through initially abrasive, Annah is sincerely attracted to the Nameless One, although she'll be hard pressed to admit it. With Annah, you get a chance to understand the tiefling's point of view of Planescape. She sees Sigil as harsh and unforgiving, but at the same time, it's home. Affairs of the hearth are difficult for Annah, making this usually brash and insulting tiefling become confused and hesistant.

Annah is voiced by Sheena Easton, a Grammy-award winning Scottish singer recognized for such hits as "Morning Train," "For Your Eyes Only," "Strut" and "Sugar Walls."

The Nameless One can’t become a priest in PST:EE, so Fall-from-Grace is vital to the party.

Fall-from-Grace
Fall-from-Grace is a succubus, a tanar'ri created to seduce mortals. And yet, Fall-from-Grace chose to follow a different path instead. She is the only party member who can use divine magic to heal companions. But it won’t be easy to find her, you first must speak to all nine intellectual "prostitutes" in the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts. The lore skill is Fall-from-Grace's specialization and can identify many magical items thus saving you copper and the need to use spells.

Jennifer Hale, well-known to Baldur's Gate fans as Dynaheir and Mazzy, voiced Fall-from-Grace.

Like fire spells? You’ll love Ignus!

Ignus
Ignus is an insane magician who tried to set fire to all of Sigil. He has been doomed by other magicians to burn eternally. Speak with Ignus to learn the secrets of his past and to make sacrifices to flame. In battle Ignus flings fire and casts fire-based spells. Ignus cannot equip or wear any kind of armor or tattoos, but his high constitution score allows to regenerate lost health. Ignus is, of course, immune to fire attacks and spells.

Ignus is voiced by Charlie Adler, known for voicing Buster Bunny in Tiny Toon Adventures.

Nordom is able to recognize portals which are hidden from the eyes – as soon as Nordom is near a portal, you’ll immediately hear usual “Portal detected”.

Nordom
Nordom Whistleklik, or Nordom, is a Modron – a mechanical creature from the logical and lawful plane of Mechanus, where Law and Order are taken to extreme. Nordom is the only party member who use missile weapons – in this case, two crossbows. Nordom a hidden character. Here’s a hint to find him: visit the Curiosity Shop and check the list of exotic items there.

Dan Castellaneta, famous his long-running role as Homer Simpson The Simpsons, voiced Nordom.

Haunted armor, helmet and axe. Vhailor's favored weapon is the executioner's axe, "Final Judgement".

Vhailor
Vhailor is a restless spirit inhabiting the rusting armor of a Mercykiller. There’s only one truth for Vhailor – justice, and he’s ready to cast judgement on everyone. He is a fighter with powerful attacks, a substantial supply of hit points, and resistances to both physical and magical attacks. You can find Vhailor later in the game in a magically sealed prison cell.

Vhailor is voiced by Keith David, known for his role as Childs in John Carpenter's The Thing. Vhailor's Helm appears in Baldur's Gate 2, and grants Simulacrum once per day.

New to the planes? Find out more about Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition at planescape.com!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom