Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If a company as big (and shady) as Bethesda would still list these companies despite of their status, I don't see why Beamdog wouldn't.
It was very noble for a financially-struggling, post-Daggerfall Bethesda Softworks to assist developers Interplay and Black Isle in publishing two classic RPGs, Fallout and Fallout 2, in 1997 and 1998. :salute:

Mock it, but I think the Publisher label on Steam is more useful like this. It tells you who gets your money when you buy the game.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Are you stupid? You expect people to go their page and read some vague empty meaningless statement and this somehow is informative who did the game originally? And they go out of their way to remove the original developers logo from the opnening sequence and this is somehow not suspect to you?

I really start to think you are actually a Beamderp shill at this point.

I expect people to actually back claims up with facts. And um yeah, if you think something but are unsure, wouldn't you go and...research it? Like maybe saying these guys take credit for things that aren't theirs, then question why anyone would go look on their fucking website before making such a completely vacuous statement. Yeah, who cares, just make shit up.

Why do you persist, do you have the memory of a goldfish? You just said they have taken credit for something they didn't do. Where? Show me. Outside of SoD, and their visual upgrades, when have they ever said they're responsible for any IE game?!

And here we go on about the fucking logos again. You're a woman, circular arguments all around.

Beamderp shill? hahah.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You just said they have taken credit for something they didn't do. Where? Show me.

What do you call taking down Black Isle's logo from the game and replacing it with their own?

When you put your logo and only your logo on something you claim ownership of it. That's where they take credit for something they didn't do.

soulburner

Cipher
Reading the last few pages of this thread forced me to write my opinion :)

1 - Many of you are annoyed, angry, furious that PSTEE is a cashgrab, an expensive mod and shit just as if Beamdog is forcing you to buy this with a gun to your head. It's beyond retarded. If you obtained the game, played it, maybe even finished it several times, why do you feel forced to buy it again, especially if you aren't enthusiastic about the enhancements?

2 - Installing mods is painful and requires being a tech savvy computer user. I know people who are amazing at playing the classic cRPG games which are pretty complex when compared to typical games of today - but tell them to copy a bunch of files to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\gamename" and they will ask you to stop joking and be serious.

Installing mods and fixes IS painful. Try and run BG1 or PS:T on Windows 10. You will have the desktop flickering, mouse trailing and/or the game being painfully slow. So what should you do? It's obvious! Install Windows Compatibility Toolkit and enable DirectDraw emulation for the game's executable file. Do you want everything from a fixpack? Most likely not, so you gotta know what you're doing. But it's your first experience with the game so how are you supposed to know?

And the Big World Setup thing for Baldur's Gate? Absolutely not user friendly interface full of enigmatic names you need to research before making a decision whether to select something or not. I remember trying it out some time ago, spent about an hour with it and in the end it spit out some weird error and broke the game forcing me to reinstall.

Most of us here can install mods. We are not afraid of running fixpacks that show a terrifying black command line window full of text. We know what .ini files are and shit like that. We are most often so focused on playing a specific game we will have no problem spending an hour modding it. Most normal people won't - if something doesn't work flawlessly right from the start, they move on.

3 - Black Isle logo discussion is kind of pointless. Who owns all the copyrights to the IP? Some big corporation, right? They can do anything they want with it. If Wizards of the Coast or Atari or whoever is involved with this wants only Beamdog and maybe themselves being mentioned, then it will be so. There's not really any discussion with it unless you want to hire a few lawyers to fight for it. It would perhaps be the logical and sane thing to do to honour the original developer studio, but when it comes to legal stuff logic doesn't always apply.

I will buy PS:T EE, run it in a window at work and enjoy the hell out of it :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
soulburner
1 - nah, we are just having fun on the account of all the idiots that will now need to pay $20 for this.
2 - While I agree that installing some mods for Bg1 are bigger pain in the ass than people here will admit, PST mods are super easy to install and the full instructions were even given on GoG forums for PST together with links.
3 - I don't care much one way or another. Some people have latched on to this as another way to bash Beamdog just like they used 0.1% SJW content in Siege of Dragonspear to attack other 99.9% of content. What I don't like here is that they removed option to buy original game directly without EE version attached.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, thankfully they make EEs so we don't have to mess with unnecessary mods. Pure win. :)

41be6a2789b0b4271aa263df740aebd671bc5a98edd26b4e4cf7e6401800acf4.jpg

soulburner

Cipher
Try and run BG1 or PS:T on Windows 10
Hey, I found it. There's your problem.

Yeah, so let's buy Windows 7 or install Linux and have a zillion other issues to sort out to make the game think it's running on Windows 95, that's more logical than buying the EE :D

On a more serious note, I really find hard to believe people saying that installing mods is painful with a straight face. I mean come on?

I am being serious. I tried convincing a friend of mine to try Fallout: New Vegas. Told him what mods he should install from the nexus and he managed to break the game several times in a row. When I did it all for him, he played it at least twice and liked it a lot. Thus, mods are painful to install for some, perhaps most people.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
... and they aren't rewriting anything or fucking with the format? ...
Again, this is listed by retards as if it's something that's fucking laudable. When your wife gets raped by home invaders, remember to pay them for the priviliege of them not raping the both of you. What a bunch of fucking cucks you are.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Again, this is listed by retards as if it's something that's fucking laudable. When your wife gets raped by home invaders, remember to pay them for the priviliege of them not raping the both of you. What a bunch of fucking cucks you are.
$14 for mod by Avellone = being raped by home invaders?

You must really want to be raped.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well you don't have to buy it, so it's more like a weird new swingers club that caters to cuckold fetishists that nobody is forcing you to go to

(which is also located on the site of your favorite bar and endorsed by its founder :smug:)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You just said they have taken credit for something they didn't do. Where? Show me.

What do you call taking down Black Isle's logo from the game and replacing it with their own?

When you put your logo and only your logo on something you claim ownership of it. That's where they take credit for something they didn't do.

Yeah it's bullshit, but it's typical corporate behaviour, they are marketing their business. Why advertise a place that is no longer the owner? But the core from BIS never needed the name, they can stand on their own, and have done since.

They already explained that. It’s for legal reasons. If they put the Black Isle logo there, they could probably be sued by someone.

So let me get this straight: the game is just PS:T without having the trouble of installing mods? While it’s disgusting seeing they stealing the work of passionate modders, it will make my life easier the next I decide to play PS:T. I will not buy this, but I will... acquire it by other means.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

angry codexers calling people a bunch of names!

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
They already explained that. It’s for legal reasons. If they put the Black Isle logo there, they could probably be sued by someone.

So let me get this straight: the game is just PS:T without having the trouble of installing mods? While it’s disgusting seeing they stealing the work of passionate mods, it will make my life easier the next. I will not download this, but will... acquire it by other means.

Which have mods have they stolen? Genuinely curious.

angry codexers calling people a bunch of names!

Also, nice to see Luckmann giving solid arguments.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also, nice to see Luckmann giving solid arguments.
Anything is better than "Well at least they didn't violate me worse than they did, better give them $15 as a thank-you."

Which aside from "I cannot use installers, I have no idea what is going on what even are mods please help me" have been the only arguments from the 'tard-brigade, really.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
2 - Installing mods is painful and requires being a tech savvy computer user.

Codex, 2017.

Try and run BG1 or PS:T on Windows 10. You will have the desktop flickering, mouse trailing and/or the game being painfully slow. So what should you do? It's obvious! Install Windows Compatibility Toolkit and enable DirectDraw emulation for the game's executable file.

VirtualBox WinXP SP3 guest. :obviously:

Parabalus

Arcane

So let me get this straight: the game is just PS:T without having the trouble of installing mods? While it’s disgusting seeing they stealing the work of passionate modders, it will make my life easier the next I decide to play PS:T. I will not buy this, but I will... acquire it by other means.

That's the best attitude there is for games - play it first, buy it after if you deign it worthy. It's one of the few commodities where you can afford such a luxury.

Codex, 2017.

VirtualBox WinXP SP3 guest.

I had trouble getting IWD2 to run smoothly because you have to hit the bullseye with mods/settings. It's not really a stretch to think that most people don't have that kind of patience.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You really a are a dumbfuck. Most of the stuff they do is readily available with mods and they even said they use some of the mods like Quinns fixpack for bugfixing. Most of the stuff they do is essentially installing the mods for you which you could install yourself in less than 20 minutes for free if you are not a brain dead retard.

Hi! Mind pointing me to the mod that gives us a zoom in feature? It's been something I've wanted for ages, but I just now learned there's a mod to do it. Where can I get it? If you have the time, I would also like to have the mod that overhauls the UI to get rid of the unnecessary clicks for spell casting and so on. Thanks!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Darwin is knocking again. If people can't or are unwilling to follow the very simple step-by-step guides on how to install mods (even GOG has an official article on it), then let them pay 20$. That's like people hiring handymen to replace lightbulbs, put up or straighten a painting, put up curtains, move computers around (because cables are scary) etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Which mod improves the pathing routine of PS:T to Siege of Dragonspear lvls?

:troll:

Deleted Member 16721

I'd say it's more like paying someone to install a wall mount for your new TV, or hang a cabinet in your bathroom. Sure, you could do it yourself, but if you can pay a few bucks to someone for added convenience factor and knowing it will be done right, why not? :)

Here are a few impressions from playing the game last night I posted on the 'Watch:

Yep yep. And there are little cool features that aren't necessarily game-changers, but improve the game. I like the Gray Scale When Paused feature. It just changes the screen composition to gray scale whenever the game is paused and adds a bit of a neat atmosphere. The Tab highlighting is well done and useful, and the resolution @ 4K is pixel perfect when fully zoomed out and looks great.

The Frame Rate feature is also a bit interesting. Apparently the original game is locked at 30 FPS, and it is one of those games that changes speed at higher framerate. They enhanced the framerate to 40, I believe, which makes the game smoother and a slight bit faster. You can set it to 30 (original), or even 50 which makes the game a bit faster, but may cause audio sync issues.

The text is crisp @ 4K and the Font Size slider does a good job of making it a very readable size. The Quickloot works and is a button toggle. Not sure if it's an EE feature but the Double Cursor Size button is also great as it makes the cursor easier to see and read on screen.

So far so good.
smiley2.gif

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
RockPaperShotgun said:
On the other hand, the optional zoom-in feature only makes everything look low-res and nasty. Once in a while, scrolling in a couple of clicks might help your cursor to find a smaller interactable, but by and large it both serves no purpose in addition to the game very obviously not being made for this.

No. shit.

The whole point of the zoom-in feature is to zoom-in when you need to zoom-in. The game looks exactly as shitty as it did back in 1999 in that zoom.

To expect this picture would suddenly look great

pst1b.jpg

is a sure sign of retard. I should remind RockPaperShotgun that the "true" size of PS:T is the size of the vanilla game (640x480).

planescape-torment-combat.png

To make the comparison clearer:

pst1b.png

Right is the intended size of TNO. Left is the size of TNO when you zoom in all the way, which you should have no real reason to do. It's apparently four times as big as the vanilla size, judging from Photoshop (Nearest Neighbor).

pst1b.png

My diagnosis: a technologically inept RockPaperShotgun reviewer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom