Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah that interface is just.... it is so fucking terrible looking. The color is actually kind of cool but the rest is just terrible. Fan made GUI's are better than this.

9526.jpg

Even this looks more professional http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/990-w-gui/

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This shit has an in-game DLC store featuring a portraits DLC. For money.

Partially justified by the iPad. If you buy the PC version you get all the "DLC." On the iPad, the average price of games is lower than the PC and anything higher than $10 is suicide. So, instead of charging $20 they instead charge $9.99 and then let you buy the DLC separately, which works out to $20 total. So in a sense the iPad version is actually better value because you can just get the base game for $10 if you want. :smug:

One thing I don't understand is how under-developed some of the characters are relative to each other. Rasaad gets his whole dungeon, which includes a total of 4 new areas (1 outdoors, 1 temple, 1 cave, and 1 mountaintop), Neera gets 2 new areas (1 outdoors, 1 cave), and Dorn gets... well, no new areas at all, though he has a bit more dialogue to make up for it. Neera has a scene where you can kiss her and then her romance abruptly ends and she never talks to you again, Rasaad says nothing outside of his personal quest, etc. When you compare Rasaad's actual 2ish hours of bonus gameplay and properly-concluding story to Dorn's 10 minutes and Neera's 30 minutes, something is seriously wrong.

Also, the newest Archaic UI release is even better and is now close to being my favorite Infinity Engine UI screen: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discus...tom-inventory-buttons-start-screen-options/p1

ShlongMaster

Educated
I personally like the new UI apart from the color, I'm using a simple recolor mod and it looks good. Could have been better, but at the very least it has opened up new possibilities for modding the look of the interface.

25gs6yp.jpg

There's also some interesting looking mods in the works.

2crr48h.jpg

29ztruh.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know it's all opinion but that's hideous. It's filled with bad things but I think the fonts take the cake.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fuck that interface is horrible. Even recolored it looks like some shitty amateur drawing. I've seen free mods do better than the whole Beamdog effort.

Why do morons always need to enhance something that doesn't need to be enhanced?

I mean even look at GUI buttons. In vanilla they look crisp and professional. And here they look cartooney and blurry, like somebody tried to draw over them with the photoshop brush.

sea said:
Partially justified by the iPad. If you buy the PC version you get all the "DLC."

No it's not. Wait till they will start making additional DLCs, which considering that they are trying to milk BG will be even more subpar.

ShlongMaster

Educated
Well I can't really argue about it nor is there any point to it. I can see why someone might dislike it but I've never really cared much for the interface in games as long as it looks ok and is reasonably functional. If anything is a problem it's that this remake is such a huge, once in a lifetime opportunity (unless someone else decides to "remaster" it in the future) to do something really substantial with the game and it was squandered by laziness and "supposed" licensing issues.

I can't understand one thing - why have they used such horrible fonts? I mean yeah, redesign, ergonomics and usability are hard to get right (but if you can't do it - maybe you shouldn't make remakes, just sayin'), but choosing normal, setting-friendly fonts isn't so hard, FFS.

Kirtai

Augur
I'd really like to know why they're using fonts designed for Irish Gaelic in a generic medieval fantasy setting. If it was a Celtic setting, it would at least be understandable.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
And a patch was released. Doubt it'll save this, but one did catch my eye and should be looked upon:

* Adjusted introduction video due to customer feedback and Coriander's threats of violence (You may have thought that complaining about the Nietzsche quote was pointless…)

Anyone up for checking out the new intro?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyone up for checking out the new intro?
The old quote is there but it flashes by a lot faster than it did before. The new line of dialogue is kind of poorly inserted because they didn't do any new animation and instead had to cut up the audio clip to fit a very short time span (no pauses between the words like there were before). Overall if I didn't know how the first version of the remade intro was I wouldn't notice the difference, but seeing how they did it it definitely comes across as a bit of a "fine, we fixed it, see?" sort of thing just to shut people up.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Been playing bg again since this came out. Bu man, they managed to bug this shit more up, that it was when it was first released:

"Fixed crash to desktop when clicking outside the map"

I am wondering whether they tested it at all.

skyst

Augur
I did the new area added for the Wild Mage's quest today, a wooded area ravaged by Goblins:

I diplomacied (certainly a word) the first Goblin I saw which made all of the rest in the zone non-hostile and then accepted a quest from a nearby woodsman to find his wife. Upon entering the Goblin's cave at the end of the zone, I was immediately attacked by the first Goblin. I suppose he didn't get the memo from the other first Goblin that I was a cool guy. I had a chuckle that all of the Goblins in this zone were equipped with Composite Long Bows which require 18 strength to wield while Goblins have a mere 9 strength. Next, I found a newly added set of magical hide armor improperly coded as it was wearable by my Monk (they should not be able to don any armor), so I equipped it to him, noted the corpse of the woodsman's wife, burried her and moved on. The Goblin leader, a big, white Hobgoblin was next and he rewarded me with 20XP just like every other Goblin in the zone. I looted some empty tables and moved to the final area which had a decent fight with some Wizards and let me moan at the awkward new party member. The NPC I rescued gave me a magical girdle which, when identified, ended up being a normal girdle. Finally, I informed the woodsman that his wife was dead, buried, etc; he thanked me, rewarded me with no item, no XP nor reputation so I left the zone. This was advertised on their website as 4 hours of content - it took under 20 minutes and was a broken mess.

I have yet to enter the Nashkel mine and I'm close to just restarting in BGT. Bleh.

waywardOne

Arcane
I did the new area added for the Wild Mage's quest today, a wooded area ravaged by Goblins:

I diplomacied (certainly a word) the first Goblin I saw which made all of the rest in the zone non-hostile and then accepted a quest from a nearby woodsman to find his wife. Upon entering the Goblin's cave at the end of the zone, I was immediately attacked by the first Goblin. I suppose he didn't get the memo from the other first Goblin that I was a cool guy. I had a chuckle that all of the Goblins in this zone were equipped with Composite Long Bows which require 18 strength to wield while Goblins have a mere 9 strength. Next, I found a newly added set of magical hide armor improperly coded as it was wearable by my Monk (they should not be able to don any armor), so I equipped it to him, noted the corpse of the woodsman's wife, burried her and moved on. The Goblin leader, a big, white Hobgoblin was next and he rewarded me with 20XP just like every other Goblin in the zone. I looted some empty tables and moved to the final area which had a decent fight with some Wizards and let me moan at the awkward new party member. The NPC I rescued gave me a magical girdle which, when identified, ended up being a normal girdle. Finally, I informed the woodsman that his wife was dead, buried, etc; he thanked me, rewarded me with no item, no XP nor reputation so I left the zone. This was advertised on their website as 4 hours of content - it took under 20 minutes and was a broken mess.

I have yet to enter the Nashkel mine and I'm close to just restarting in BGT. Bleh.
I can't wait until someone LPs this. Even at the rate they're trying to get out patches, shit like this will remain. Good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom