Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, this might be a really really dumb thing to say on my part, but the low resolution suits BG1.

Why?

BG1 is a wilderness exploration game, among other things. Games based on moving across the wilderness have involved only being able to see only a little of the area at a given point of time. Think of the thick foliage of the Elvandar forest in Betrayal at Krondor or the gloomy Neverwintan forest in Icewind Dale 2. You were stuck in a giant forest, with visibility extending only till a short range. In case of Icewind Dale 2, the forest was broken up into several small areas.

For this reason, I play the game on windowed mode, when I do, and not use any resolution mods. The game was not made for higher resolutions. Indeed, at higher resolutions, the world of BG1 seems to contract immensely. Same for the first Fallout, where a high resolution mod could allow you to see the entire map, and really diminish the sense of having to explore any place. Torment on high res also makes Sigil look like a small bowl in which the world is concentrated, rather than an endless stretch of slums and buildings.
I see your point but I'd rather use a resolution mod than playing in a small window or having a blurry picture in full screen mode.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Also they didn't keep one of the things I preferred in BG1 over BG2: disable pause in inventory screen during battles. This way the quick slots become important and you have to plan in advance what you put in there. In a battle, if you need a potion that's not in a quick slot you either forget about it or risk being killed while searching for it. In this aspect BG2 is moronic, you can enter inventory screen during combat and pass one potion from one character to another in a chain and the quick slots are nothing but extra inventory slots with just an easier of use access as UI.

I'm still mad they didn't enhance the original companions... what's the fucking point of this shit then!!! One of the main reasons BG1 feels so ancient is the party being kinda of a turd

This is so true. Every time I try to replay BG1 and I meet Minsc, I get pissed off I can't fuck him. I'm like what the fuck game? What the fuck?! I usually have to end right there and go play a newer Bioware game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did everyone bought this piece of shit? I searched TBP and other sites for it, but I couldn't find the free edition. Is there a bro who can help me with this?

Marsal

Arcane
Did everyone bought this piece of shit? I searched TBP and other sites for it, but I couldn't find the free edition. Is there a bro who can help me with this?
Why are you so bad at pirating shit, Matt? Just add skidrow to your search query, it's all over the net...

I'm playing Silent Storm and all of you fags should just drop this garbage and do the same.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Why are you so bad at pirating shit, Matt? Just add skidrow to your search query, it's all over the net...

I'm playing Silent Storm and all of you fags should just drop this garbage and do the same.
I know, I know. :( I don't know what's wrong with me.

I found the skidrow release, thanks.

Marsal

Arcane
I will thank you in my next show.

Of course I don't have any kind of show, because I'm not MATT BARTON! :mad:
Of course you aren't!

tumblr_mb4zcuV8i91qatkeko1_400.gif

derpherp

Novice
- from what I've seen they didn't change jack about the kits to make them more useful and balanced in BG1 which was basically the only thing I was interested in

Pretty much this. It was only by some strange magic that BG2's early levels happened to be the perfect time to introduce most of the kits. Throwing them into BG1 at level 1 just creates pain(Kensai, Monk), gamebreaking lulz(Totemic Druid, Shapeshifter), or is just plain sad since the real benefits aren't until BG2 levels(Beastmaster, Assassin). And this shit is very well documented and immediately obvious to anyone who even thought about trying TuTu or BGT. I'm pretty sure this didn't fall under their "can't touch original content" legal bullshit. In a real enhanced edition what they'd probably have to do is make you pick the same base classes plus Barbarian, Sorcerer, etc. and make special quests with pre-requisites to switch to the kit around level 6-7. I.E. Kensai quest might be some weeaboo shit about giving up armor in exchange for discipline & mobility, to truly master cutting a bitch.

The upshot is that this is even obvious to the newfags. See any of the umpteen threads about how to properly use Rasaad in a party. Best answer I've heard so far: kill him and sell his crazy magic boots for 12.5k :smug:

ColCol

Arcane
I'm replaying the first game (not the shithanced edition) has a wizard. Jesus, I forgot how slow going it can be.

joeydohn

Savant
How enhanced is this version? Is it worth showing to a friend who so far has put his nose up to Fallout 1/2 and Planescape: Torment to maybe convert him? I know if he would just play them for a bit he'd enjoy them but he's so stubborn and almost refuses to play games that don't have XXX super HD graphics until I show him that they're actually good games.

Zeriel

Arcane
How enhanced is this version? Is it worth showing to a friend who so far has put his nose up to Fallout 1/2 and Planescape: Torment to maybe convert him? I know if he would just play them for a bit he'd enjoy them but he's so stubborn and almost refuses to play games that don't have XXX super HD graphics until I show him that they're actually good games.

I have a friend who was all excited about the enhanced edition who has never really played the original. I've been trying to unhype him in advance knowing this was going to be all kinds of sideways-shit-flinging, but it hasn't been working. I'm kind of worried he's going to crash hard when he plays this pile of not-even-as-good-as-mods.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Has anyone managed to get mods working with this yet?

I have a friend who was all excited about the enhanced edition who has never really played the original. I've been trying to unhype him in advance knowing this was going to be all kinds of sideways-shit-flinging, but it hasn't been working. I'm kind of worried he's going to crash hard when he plays this pile of not-even-as-good-as-mods.
Yeah, see, perhaps the funniest part about the Enhanced Edition is that it will get newer Biotards to pick up the old game... only to realize that it isn't at all like Mass Effect/Dragon Age 2 and walk away in disappointment.

Zeriel

Arcane
Has anyone managed to get mods working with this yet?

Yeah, see, perhaps the funniest part about the Enhanced Edition is that it will get newer Biotards to pick up the old game... only to realize that it isn't at all like Mass Effect/Dragon Age 2 and walk away in disappointment.

Which is basically my (and I suppose a lot of people's) reaction to post-BG2 Bioware, ironically.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Also they didn't keep one of the things I preferred in BG1 over BG2: disable pause in inventory screen during battles. This way the quick slots become important and you have to plan in advance what you put in there. In a battle, if you need a potion that's not in a quick slot you either forget about it or risk being killed while searching for it. In this aspect BG2 is moronic, you can enter inventory screen during combat and pass one potion from one character to another in a chain and the quick slots are nothing but extra inventory slots with just an easier of use access as UI.

:salute:

Incantatar

Cipher
It's a real shame that the BG1 Fixpack project is abandoned. http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm
I understand modders hate the BG1 engine and everyone recommends TUTU and BGT, but the vanilla feeling of exploration and the many flaws of the conversions would not let me recommend them over vanilla for at least first time players. There are a few inconveniences and stupid bugs but after playing the good gold box games it doesn't feel that inconvenient.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a real shame that the BG1 Fixpack project is abandoned. http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm
I understand modders hate the BG1 engine and everyone recommends TUTU and BGT, but the vanilla feeling of exploration and the many flaws of the conversions would not let me recommend them over vanilla for at least first time players. There are a few inconveniences and stupid bugs but after playing the good gold box games it doesn't feel that inconvenient.

I'm not entirely sure that was abandoned. I do know that the project lead got tired of the modding scene and left, I think back in August. Isn't it possible that somebody at G3 has continued his work?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Neera has heard rumors of another wild mage, an old man named Adoy. People say he lives somewhere east of the Firewine Bridge. If he has managed to survive to a ripe old age despite the dangers of using wild magic, maybe he will have some helpful advice for Neera. Also, I think Neera wants a flute.

Does she? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom