Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think the reason some of the screenshots look blurry is due to the fact that you can zoom the camera in and out now. But even so, some of those pre-rendered backdrops look... bad. They made it painfully obvious they just downloaded some free texture packs and made a few basic layouts in Unreal or something... doesn't even look like they rendered them at a very high resolution and you can clearly see the same artifacts you get in real-time 3D games, like awkward texture blending, low-poly geometry, and lack of filtering (note the cliff walls in that last shot).

Otherwise I think it's actually more content than most people were expecting. Maybe it'll be shit, but I'm feeling a bit better about this actually being "enhanced" now. Still won't be touching it until it goes on sale, though, if ever.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The new backgrounds look like ass (in a "bad 3D" sort of way), and the characters sound boring. The extra adventure could be fun, if they're long and challenging.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Enhanced Edition:

screenshot02.jpg

I always knew that one day someone would monumentally fuck up eyecandy-wise by using prerendered game engine shots as 2D backgrounds

This is the isometric rpg equivalent of Street Fighter the Movie - The Game

thankfully it will be in widescreen now so that players will see more of this marvellously reimagined gameworld at any one time

look at this fucking shot, now both the backgrounds and character sprites look like shit

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Judging by the screenshots it looks you are supposed to play the game with 3D glasses to get enhanced graphics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Dorn Il-Khan a relative of the Bhaalspawn Gromnir Il-Khan from ToB?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Loled hard at the artwork.

FErNg.png
:desu:

On the other hand, Hiver The Monk seems to be quite nor...

In the aftermath of his brother's death, Rasaad has left his order to seek his own solace. If he can also find opportunities to reflect his inner light on those in need, he is eager to do so.
Fuck, nevermind.

Then maybe this half- orc blackuard guy? I mean, how they can fuck up a bloodthirsty musclehead?

"Do not annoy me with such simplistic notions of morality."
Like a satanic metal teenager. Shit, I underestimated them.

Kitako

Arcane
dRLE2.png

This gives me strong WOW vibes.

MAs6R.jpg

(Hell, now that I think of it, I'd totally pay for a Warcraft single player Infinity Engine game)

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The new backgrounds are blurry as hell and lack detail. Also, even if they can't improve the character models because they lost the source models, can't they at least give them some anti-aliasing?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Antialiasing- as if this thing wasn't enough blurry and low- detailed.

Also, what. Last time I've checked, they claimed to have the all source models and shit.

Stabwound

Arcane
It looks like they misnamed Baldur's Gate: Smudged Glasses Edition. FFS.

Look, it's a secret screenshot of what Wasteland 2 will look like:

yuIQQ.png

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Did you look at them with your eyes or your ass as usual? They are not zoomed in.

They are just SHIT.
I was referring to the blurring seen in some of the older shots featuring the original backgrounds - the blurring there is probably due to them scaling the images based on "camera distance."

waywardOne

Arcane
$20 for PC and Mac with all the fixins. Half that for iPad and Android with the new/extra stuff as DLC.

Unless they specifically unlock some engine things I want as a modder, this is now in the Ignore Bin.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
FFS, they aren't event trying! It's not its the first time we see a snowy landscape on infinity engine, we had two fucking games all based on snowy areas...Icewind Dale was made 12 years ago and had higher quality background renders...

Stabwound

Arcane
The Black Pits is one of the enhancements that make up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition that allows you to create a full party and battle through fifteen hellish battles in a desperate bid to escape. Difficult challenges, unique battles, and a bizarre cast of characters await you within the Underdark!
• A stand-alone adventure set deep within the Underdark
• Fifteen levels of arena-style combat challenges
• Full control and customization of up to six party members
• Over 6 hours of additional gameplay

That sounds...moderately interesting? Feels wrong to have it exist as a separate feature rather than being integrated into the original game somehow, though I suppose it wouldn't feel all that natural either way. Quick, somebody steal the idea and make a far superior BG2 mod.
Huh? An arena module is possibly the least effort they could have possibly committed to making "new content" for the game. No point in doing something awesome like Durlag's Tower, which was added in the expansion and was my favorite part of the entire first game; throw some shitty arena maps in and call it a day!

This entire project reeks of Oster and co. (is the entire team comprised of Oster and Tofer?) expending the least possible effort to charge people $20 for a game from 1998. It appears as though they have BG community members happily bug testing the game for free, LOLOLOL. And the original modded game looks better than the ENHANCED version. Applying a blur filter does not enhance anything, fucktards.

And fuck them for toting the "over 400 improvements!" thing. You know what 99% of those improvements are? They're taken from patches like Baldurdash, BG Fixpack and TobEx. http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/fixed which anyone can freely download.

And lol at iPad $10, PC $20. No comment even needed there. Just a butt-reaming thank you to the community that made the game a success in the first place.

Beware of complaining on the forums; by reading them it appears that they have quite the apologist army running the place. :smug:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Huh? An arena module is possibly the least effort they could have possibly committed to making "new content" for the game.
Unsuprisingly, the "enhanced" DS version of Chrono Trigger was also a cheap ripoff featuring an arena module...

And lol at iPad $10, PC $20. No comment even needed there. Just a butt-reaming thank you to the community that made the game a success in the first place.
To make things better, is $10 for the iPad version....WITHOUT THE NEW STUFF! New characters will be sold as DLC at $3 each! :lol:

Saxon1974

Prophet
I'm unclear whether this means at high resolutions if the inventory screens will be tiny like when I used the widescreen mod. I ended up just playing in like 800x600 but they were just to small. The art looks like crap too. All the modern art looks like comic book style, I prefer the 80's style stuff like Elmore, Easley etc....

Stabwound

Arcane
http://kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

This is all according to Cameron Tofer, COO of developer Beamdog, who told me today in a phone interview that it would be "crazy" to charge more than $10 for the 1998 PC game.

"Baldurs Gate is a pretty big game and we're not cutting it down to size," Tofer said. "There's a boatload of content there, 80+ hours. But past ten dollars doesn't make sense."
I guess 4 months is enough time to change your mind about something being "crazy." :smug:

To be fair, he appears to be talking about the iPad release, but why should that be treated differently than the PC release? Why is it crazy and senseless to charge $20 on the PC? Because PC gamers will pay more than iShit gamers: end of rhine.

Oh, and apparently the "new adventure" is completely standalone and you have to create a new party to play it; it's not integrated into the main storyline itself. Awesome.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO......the iOS port and the PC port are THE EXACT SAME THING.... but.... is costs more for the PC? WAT?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom