Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If "poor writing" is a euphemism for having sjw political views, as your images are indicative of, then yes.

That dialogue has a transparent political agenda, an agenda that didn't exist in Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Shadows of Amn, or Throne of Bhaal. An interquel should be written to fit naturally, but it doesn't.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The mizhena case was just the sorest example of a trend that encompassed the writing in the whole game. Take the rewriting of Safana, the new SoD Paladin NPC (I forgot what her name was), or the issue with Minsc's Gamergate reference.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wonder if the idiots actually banked on making millions off the back of SJWs.

When this, really now, very small drama took place I've seen some braindead SJWs commenting in various places how they're going to buy the game just to spite those evil people who want to play games for games and not for agendas.
Well, in the end, I guess they either didn't do that, or there's really not that many of them to market especially for them.

Also, I probably would have bought this way before I found out about this crap, but they decided to make their collector's edition stupidly expensive and put a retarded shipping price on top of that too. Motherfuckers thought they were going to sell the fucking grail or something.

Cael

Arcane
The mizhena case was just the sorest example of a trend that encompassed the writing in the whole game. Take the rewriting of Safana, the new SoD Paladin NPC (I forgot what her name was), or the issue with Minsc's Gamergate reference.
Making references to current affairs in a setting that has nothing to do with this universe (unlike, say, the Battletech universe) is as immersion breaking as Fallout Tactic's order to "try again" when you fail a mission. For a RPG, that is as good an indication of a BAD writer as you can get.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Initially, I thought that SJWs were just a minority of arrogant deluded people, but I've come to realize that paradoxically there is no actual SJWs. Rather, there are only people who pretend to endorse SJW beliefs in order to fit in a group, feel good about themselves, participate in virtual mobs to harass people on-line, or climb the social ladder. If we cut out these fake SJWs, there is not a single genuine SJW left. It’s all make-believe self-delusion moral-politics to satisfy self-indulgent-feel-goodism tribalism-mumbo-jumbo. SJW-mentality does not have even the basic dignity of being an actual belief system.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Initially, I thought that SJWs were just a minority of arrogant deluded people, but I've come to realize that paradoxically there is no actual SJWs. Rather, there are only people who pretend to endorse SJW beliefs in order to fit in a group, feel good about themselves, participate in virtual mobs to harass people on-line, or climb the social ladder. If we cut out these fake SJWs, there is not a single genuine SJW left. It’s all make-believe self-delusion moral-politics to satisfy self-indulgent-feel-goodism tribalism-mumbo-jumbo. SJW-mentality does not have even the basic dignity of being an actual belief system.
I get your sentiment, and there's something to it.
However, it isn't always the case.
I know people who really and actually believe in these things, also while/after discussing it sincerely to great length with me.

Cael

Arcane
I get your sentiment, and there's something to it.
However, it isn't always the case.
I know people who really and actually believe in these things, also while/after discussing it sincerely to great length with me.
The Darwin Awards prove that there is always a segment of the human race who are irredeemably stupid. SJWs prove that there is a segment of the human race who worships stupidity.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I get your sentiment, and there's something to it. However, it isn't always the case. I know people who really and actually believe in these things, also while/after discussing it sincerely to great length with me.
That's because you are taking their counterfeit reasons at face value. It's all rationalisation and self-delusion. I'm not denying that some people think that they really believe in this. What I am saying is that their simplistic mantras are just a pretense to indulge on crudest instincts such as greed, resentment, cruelty, vanity, etc. If you are curious to understand more about this line of reasoning, I heartily recommend "The Vision of the Anointed", by Thomas Sowell, and "The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life" by Kevin Simler and Robin Hanson.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The pinnacle of stupidity was this wretched "community manager" (if I remember right) who tweeted that they were being reviewbombed by gamergaters, and the people complaining of the writing are "not the true BG fans". They were being review ombed because of the bad writing and because the game was unexpectedly linear.

BTW I recently learned Beamdog added two NPCs in their EE for BG. It just so happened that one was "bisexual" and the other "lesbian". Surely, there can be no possibility of overt and clumsy agenda-pushing :D I've played The Longest Jorney back to back, and looking at it today I can see how feminist or even sexist it is, but it never annoyed me, then or now.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I remember someone showing a screenshot of him asking Anita to report on the hate or something.

imweasel

The pinnacle of stupidity was this wretched "community manager" (if I remember right) who tweeted that they were being reviewbombed by gamergaters, and the people complaining of the writing are "not the true BG fans".
That would be Dee Pennyway. Also a huge leftist and SJW.

He doesn't work at Beamdog anymore though. I guess Beamdog actually values their company more than the regressive leftist agenda incl. SJWism so they fired that moron too.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Projas , wouldn't competent writing just be the standard then?
Sure, it should be. But that includes things like knowing when it isn't appropriate to insert your political views in a game. There is a big difference between having certain political views and trying to force them on people.

Why would a character be a political view?
It's not necessarily the character itself, but rather the fact that the game forces you to react in a certain way to it. Example: having a character in your game who wants to genocide all jews is not by itself antisemitic. However having the only possible way to respond to that character be "Good man, fire up the ovens!" is a completely different matter.

Sizzle

Arcane
Exactly. It's a roleplaying game. When your only options (even if you are a Chaotic Evil bastard) are to politely thank Mizhena for hearing her riveting story of being a tranny in a fantasy setting where she/he/xir can easily morph their gender - the writing and design have failed on every conceivable level.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Calling me a wench? Beyond question! Note the evil option of smashing the hell out of his skull there.

Hearing how someone casually discusses her sexuality? Aye, much respect m'lady. In fact, I'll think of mending my psychotic behaviour and join the SJWs. Are the Harpers the true SJWs on this world?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Other than being bearded men with glasses, I don't see it.
compared.jpg

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss :

a pretense to indulge on crudest instincts such as greed, resentment, cruelty, vanity, etc

I do get that impression from, say, the dinosaur that is the YouTube comment system. Forums that are less prone to drive-by trolling and where people can easily continue conversations attract more balanced temperaments.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Projas

Example: having a character in your game who wants to genocide all jews is not by itself antisemitic. However having the only possible way to respond to that character be "Good man, fireup the ovens!" is a completely differentmatter.

I get what you're saying. I think the game should have provided more ambiguous ways out of the conversation and arguments/questions that may have established how transgender people fit in the world, if that's what the developers wanted to do.

I'd handle a Nazi stand-in, a religious rep, and people who are vehemently opposed to those people, etc similarly.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Please, they have no fucking idea whatsoever how to fit transexualism into the Forgotten Realms. They just shoehorn it in. Like the immersion-breaking Gamergate thingy.

I'd like those things in press notes, where I can ignore them, not in my game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom