Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Jason Liang

Arcane
So does Urbie get all the benefits of a light mech, but more weapons and armor?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
To the knowledgeable: when people say +X to hit, damage, saves, etc...

edit: Ohhhhh right, I should just read the manual....

:negative:

Wait, there is a manual? It is actually funny game uses both difficulty & %. +1 difficulty translates to 5% I think.

And RE: Urbie.. AC 10 does 60 damage i HBS BT. Head max armor+structure has 61 in this game. AC10+ with damage uograde/enchantment.. well, urbies have potential to be scary.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Played through most of the tutorial missions last night. I like the game. I agree that animations could be speeded up. Looking forward to getting that Argo abs seeing what else I can do. I am going to have fun customizing mechs. I can see where there could be a decent amount of viable varieties to a lance.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
He's a little older, and had his eye surgically reconstructed, but still a badass.

wcgSVg2.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pardon the back to back posts, but has anyone else noticed a bug with multishot? I believe when Target A dies, attacks don't execute on Target B. Has anyone else noticed this?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
from the forums,

That's why the gorgeous intro I watch every time I boot the game is a gorgeous love letter to BattleTech lore nerds that you can't fully appreciate without knowing BattleTech.

I remember reading around here that the intro has some inconsistencies, something regarding an Atlas?

Cool name

Arcane
the intro, while p cool, weirdly makes it seem like a game taking place during the fight against Amaris.

as far as things that bug me about the game go it's utterly insignificant unlike certain other issues, but I do wonder why they didn't toss in like one more slide showing the Successor States splitting off or something. not butthurt-inducing but sorta confusing

they did a good job giving richard cameron a very punchable face tho

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another retarded game/UI decision is that you need to decide to reserve turn before being able to click on any mechs. As soon as you clicked one that is it. So you are not allowed to check out mech current state of ammo, damage, heat, weapon ranges(who remembers what each mech has at every moment) and the rest before deciding to reserve or do a turn with one of the mechs. I am pretty sure even in tabletop you can check all your sheets (or whatever is used) before making such decisions or does TT also expect players to keep everything in their head like this is some chess match?!

You can hit ESC to go back if you don't use an action, if I understand you correctly.
Ok, that does work.. it is just strange.
you can inspect ANY target with right-click

That is possible also. at the stage when you select the facing of the mech, hover over intended target
Seems both of these work as well. Right click is useful and should have been mentioned during tutorial mission. The second one is not very intuitive and hard to use

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pardon the back to back posts, but has anyone else noticed a bug with multishot? I believe when Target A dies, attacks don't execute on Target B. Has anyone else noticed this?
It's working ok for me.
I think the bug is more specific than I laid out, it's related to what weapons are LOS or not, and maybe even the enemy type. When it happened to me, my Target B was a building and Target A a mech. A was killed by a mix of LOS/non-LOS weapons, and B was targeted by I don't remember what.

Alpharius

Scholar
are light mechs of any use besides canon fodder in this game?

Yes, they break evasion with the lock on ability, are hard to kill with 4 evasion ticks, and spot for indirect fire.

Useful in some strategies but I doubt they will be meta in the multiplayer.

Also lul someone outright flaming unity for being a single threaded engine in 2018 like it absolutely deserves.

They get +2 to hit difficulty as default for lights, so it is 2 evasion levels for free.

With Ace Pilot I use a Jenner to great effect. Put a gyro+ on it (another +2 to hit difficulty), 4x M'lasers with dmg bonuses which boosts the damage output o 4x30. With good positioning you reserve, pop out of cover,shoot. At the start of next turn you are first (or even if not - one light cant touch this), unload another 4x30 and run back behind aome obstacles.

This is the joke about lights, they get useful if you have more experienced pilots. Also stock light loadouts have no armor and up-armoring asap needed.
I haven't found any gyro+ or med lasers with bonus damage so far, but i already have an Orion, Jagermech and Quickdraw (and lurmboat Centurion). Not sure i'd want to replace any of them with Jenner.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
After the fiasco of Battletech, this game will receive more pressure and attention from disgruntled Codexers, I'm sure.
What fiasco? That one only exists in the head of few "special cases".

One of the things UI in the game really lacks is a way to inspect any visible target on the battlefield. Currently you can only inspect targets that your currently selected mech can shoot at. Not even those revealed by others and within move and shoot of your currently selected mech. It is really stupid.

EDIT: Also I have not seen a way to know how your weapon hit chance will change based on your movement. This gets especially irritating when your Mech is a combination of lower range and higher range weapons. It does not help that weapons with same range descriptions don't actually have same range. Currently it is all a big guessing game.
aren't you one of those special cases?! :)

I should point out that BattleTech is not all battles. There’s also a base mode with its own inelegant and baggy interface, in which you can repair, upgrade and buy mechs, choose missions, unlock pilot skills, chat to ally advisors and so forth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/24/battletech-review-pc/

Special cases are those reviewers like the retard quoted above that are used to interfaces that convey non-complexity in a non-complex game and find a UI that has many letters and numbers in it "baggy and inelegant", not the battletech enthusiasts that want complexity and verisimilitude in a game that should not be designed for a casual audience that never heard of the franchise before.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, special cases are people that see SJW plots everywhere and make bold shitty claims they cannot prove.

Last edited:

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the music in this game is. Didn't expect a game about robots blowing each other up to have great music

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It doesn't seem to be possible to set up skirmish against tanks and such.
There goes that "combined arms" scretch goal.

Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In today's episode of WHAT A LOAD OF HORSESHIT:

horseshit.jpg

This is what happens when a Grasshopper jumps on your shiny new mech.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Has anyone here advanced the game? Can you ditch some your crew(not the pilots)? And can you switch sides in the campaign,the whiny princes and her old slave are annoying?

agris

Arcane
Patron
oasis789 is there a forum thread you're pulling these discoveries from? If so, what is it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom