Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Release date - April 24.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2146640

Countdown to Zero Hour!

MechWarriors of Backer Company!

High Command has confirmed deployment and WE ARE GO FOR LAUNCH on April 24, 2018 at 9am PT.

Backer Company will retrieve their keys from BackerKit accounts before launch to become operational. Watch for additional communication with specifics closer to that date.

MAKE NO MISTAKE, MECHWARRIORS: Full Operational Success of this mission requires the bolstering of our ranks. To that end, we have enclosed the following TIME SENSITIVE material - a new trailer focused on the story of the campaign. Make sure you get this into as many MechWarrior's hands as possible across all forms of communication.

High Command also notes that we are prepared for rapid induction and training of new MechWarriors. To that end, we offer the BATTLETECH - Shadowhawk Pack which includes an alternate skin for the formidable Shadowhawk 'Mech plus an exclusive wallpaper, to be delivered at launch.

REMINDER FOR “BACKER” COMPANY… All Backers at the Recruit level and above will ALSO receive this special edition Shadow Hawk skin upon deployment. High Command thanks you for your continued support of the cause.

Backer Company, our time is nearly here and the countdown begins now. Check your neural-helmets, strap on your cooling vests, and look alive. The countdown to launch starts NOW

HBS Actual, out!

BATTLETECH BASICS Videos
In case you missed them, here are the two brief BATTLETECH BASICS videos we’ve put out so far. These are perfect for sharing on social media.

And here’s an extended Combat Strategy Livestream with Jordan and Connor so you can share the basics of combat with those who are new to BattleTech.

FAQ
I already backed the game - do I get a game key or do I have to pre-order?
As a Backer, part of your rewards includes a key to the game so you do not have to pre-order it again. Launch keys will be distributed into BackerKit accounts in the day or so leading up to the release of the game and we'll send out a Kickstarter update when that happens.

When will I get my game key?
Game keys will be delivered to BackerKit accounts a day or so before launch. We will send another update announcing that distribution of keys into accounts has begun.

If you are a Beta Backer, note that you will need to retrieve your Launch Key from your BackerKit account - the Beta version of the game will NOT automatically update to the final version.

Can I pre-load the game so it’s ready to go when I want to play?
We'll have more details about pre-loading when we get closer to our release date.

How do I double check my BackerKit account or get the digital rewards that have already been distributed?

1 - Go to https://battletech.backerkit.com/
2 - Enter the email address you used to back the game into the "Kickstarter Email" box and click on "Get My Survey"
3- When you get the email from BackerKit, follow the link inside to your account Click “View Confirmation” in the upper right hand side to see all the rewards that are included in your pledge OR “Get Your Digital Rewards”

Depending on your pledge level, you’ll find the Great House Wallpaper Pack, 3 BattleTech novellas, a Paradox Forum Code and a Paradox Discount Code. Stay tuned for more information on delivery of remaining rewards.

I didn’t fill out my BackerKit survey - what do I do?
Over 400 Backers have not filled out their survey and we are unable to fulfill your Kickstarter rewards until you do. To fill out your survey, go to https://battletech.backerkit.com/ and fill it out ASAP.

My email has changed and I can’t access my account - what do I do?We need to manually update your BackerKit account. Email us at info@hbs-studios.com with both your original email address AND the one you would like us to change it to.

I want to change the game platform I originally chose to get my key from - what do I do? This is a manual process so you’ll need to email us at info@hbs-studios.com. Please be sure to tell us which kind of key you’d like us to make available for you.

My BackerKit account is locked - now what?
If you find your BackerKit account is locked, please contact BackerKit directly at support@backerkit.com and let them know the answers to your BackerKit survey so they can update that information for you.

What are the final system requirements for the game?The minimum and recommended system reqs for the game can be found on the BATTLETECH pre-order page on Steam

What if I still have a question?
Contact us directly at info@hbs-studios.com and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

PorkBarrellGuy

In 2018 there are still a few people who think kickstarted games are usually made with KS funds only

RWFUrp.png

(Cue Codex-style megathread where everyone decides on the game's breakeven point and the HBS burn rate)

Oh look, HBS pulling the same shit PGI did with MWO. WHAT A SURPRISE.

Bohr

Arcane
They're running an internal HBS tournament to give multiplayer a final test and check out "people's ability to come up with absurd, broken custom lances to exploit the game". Spirits seem high, a good sign for the game perhaps.

bZeJ4K.jpg

anus_pounder

Arcane
Wait, so we can take contracts from any of the successor houses...because ultimately it doesn't actually matter since a linear story is already present? FFS.

Jason Liang

Arcane
30 day countdown...

What a highly anticipated release. I am so curious how it sells.

2018 looks like it's going to blow 2017 out of the water.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I watched a bunch of the backer-beta youtube videos, it looks like they have a really great combat engine in place. I have high hopes for this one.

Wait, so we can take contracts from any of the successor houses...because ultimately it doesn't actually matter since a linear story is already present? FFS.
That's how they've always pitched it. The good guy faction has preset missions as the campaign. Every other faction just gets randomly generated missions which you can do for fun/for money/to make them like you so they'll sell you better equipment or equipment at a discount.
Would have been nice if it'd been like MW2: Mercenaries or MechCommander 2 where the campaign involved you working for everyone because you're a shithead mercenary, but it's not to be.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's how they've always pitched it. The good guy faction has preset missions as the campaign. Every other faction just gets randomly generated missions which you can do for fun/for money/to make them like you so they'll sell you better equipment or equipment at a discount.
Would have been nice if it'd been like MW2: Mercenaries or MechCommander 2 where the campaign involved you working for everyone because you're a shithead mercenary, but it's not to be.
Actually, the mercenary angle could lead to interesting C&C:
Client refuses to pay, but lets you pillage instead: accept/turn against him flesh and Blood style
Client asks for delay, while competitor offers you a better deal to immediately turn against him

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I guess we know now at least that the kickstarter funds didn't go to microphones.

Edit:

In the future space engineers will be chubby Arabic women with hijabs.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It took me way too long to shake off that weird deja vu when seeing the ship. Then it hit me why I have seen it before - it is a concrete mixer!

This is consistent with BT lore? That is truly what the ships look like?

Bohr

Arcane
They came up with a new class of ship for this game
http://www.sarna.net/news/battletech-at-e3-and-what-is-the-argo/

It turns out the Argo isn’t a JumpShip at all, but rather a massive mobile space station that was built before the Amaris Civil War. It was intended to follow behind the first wave of system surveyors as a sort of logistical hub, supporting colonization teams with her massive onboard hydroponics bays. The intention was for the Argo to remain in-system for months, if not years, and as such it has vastly larger living quarters, recreational areas, and passenger accommodation than any military DropShip.

You can tell based on the screen grabs from the development footage that the Argo does indeed have a lot of room, with massive navigation and bridge stations. There’s also a folding grav deck that allows for artificial gravity, although anywhere else people are still forced to wear mag-boots to keep from floating off.

But it doesn’t have a jump drive, so it’s forced to piggyback on JumpShips like any other dropship. Well, not quite like any other dropship; much like the Behemoth-class, it takes up two docking bays of whatever ship it latches on to. Also, like the Behemoth, she can’t fly into atmosphere owing to her vast size. Smaller DropShips dock with the Argo in order to bring men and machines planetside.

As an aside, it’s nice that HBS wants to expand the BattleTech universe and make the player feel like they have something unique in the BattleTech game, but it really doesn’t feel like the Argo was even necessary. The story could have been told just as easily with a mercenary band somehow getting hold of a JumpShip, or even just a regular Union DropShip. And considering the Argo can’t even go planetside, your mercenary company will also need a real DropShip or two just to get boots on the ground.

Bohr

Arcane
Some takeaways from the streams yesterday.

- Repair costs can easily be more than you make for a mission, so don't use that Spider as a brawler.
eg: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-but-not-story-spoilers-repair-costs.1085180/

- Mech repairs are sequential, so you've only got one queue to manage, but repairs can be sped up in various ways (upgrades, MechTech points, events)

MiWmbI.png

iX2tRs.png

And some thoughts on ironman mode, if they get to that post-release:

QSJWrx.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom