Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battlefront Horse Armor Sale

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You mean those long gone days when games where made by nerds for nerds? Think I've said plenty about that on this here forum. Since the 90's wargames have been increasingly niche. That's over two decades bro.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I guess you work as an accountant there?

If something doesn't sell - they need to try harder to deliver an addictive, entertaining, high class product so more people will buy it. "Niche" is a mega bullshit excuse - there are 7 bln of people on Earth and only 0.015 of those are CoD players.

Paradox (horse armor dlc or not) do niche products too and they sell well because mechanics (which range from casual CK2 to very complex HoI3) and interface don't make you want to massacre whole dev studio.

HoI III and EUIII only became playable after multiple expansions.

They may as well be 60-70 dollar titles when all is said and done.

:troll:

circ

Arcane
RAW!!

I LIKE YOUR NEW STYLE

what new style?
10097.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
A product that only appeals to a certain limited market is just that. Wargames have been niche since forever simply because only a small amount of people are interested in the concept.
You mean like in those Panzer General & clones?

Paradox may be doing well, that is also because they don't as much make wargames as open sandbox larping sims and mappainters. The niche for that is a lot bigger.

Yes please tell me how HoI3 is not a complicated wargame that takes much more time and effort to learn than a typical wargame where you just move counters around and little else.

If the game doesn't sell well it's not because it's niche. Everything is relative. Wargames are much cheaper and faster to make than some piece of shit AAA. It's entirely dev's fault if the dev can't produce a quality product and it's not a reason to charge 100 bucks. That's a one. On another side we have publishers of said wargames that are pretty dumb and will sell games only through their shop. Roll it out on Steam, GG, GMG, Amazon etc. and see sales skyrocket.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
@ Trash

So when facts don't backup your generalisation it's better to explain them away with something unrelated? You were the one arguing that wargaming was always a niche, yet when facts speak otherwise it's all of a sudden 'hurr durr gaems were for nerds'. How does the shape of demographic change the fact that wargames were objectively the most popular of genres?

Regardless, the number of 'nerds' hasn't gone away, so what's the excuse of Matrix and Battlefront charging so much for their games? It's not like they are appealing to a decreasing number of potential buyers, merely that the genre looks 'niche' because of the vast expansion in numbers of gamers in general. By your reasoning PC gaming as a whole is 'niche' compared to numbers of gamers all up, so that should mean that AAA devs should be charging 100 plus for their titles too, yet they do not.

Look at the case of Slitherine. They released a lot of decent to very good wargames at reasonable prices until they got merged with Matrix and started adopting their 100 bucks for crap policy. Battlefront sold far more copies of their Combat Mission games when they were being sold for normal prices(even though the older titles looked like shit) then now when their games look a whole lot better. Even more ridiculous is when Battlefront sells third party stuff from Theatre of War devs or Matrix does the same with other titles, for 10 times the going price for the same thing elsewhere. How does the 'pricing is like this cause of the niche market' line work in this case? These fiends are barely selling a thing at such a price hoping for the one old fart who doesn't know anything to mosey up and for out $80 for something that GG is selling for $5. They are actually responsible for the wargaming community stagnating. How's that for a cynical self fulfilling 'oh noes, we are so niche that's why we have to fleece gamers' prophecy?

Having said that I've noticed that Matrix has started to knock down the prices of some of the stuff that is sold elsewhere and also some stuff they sell exclusively that actually looks ok(like the 3D Panzer General style Barbarossa game from a few years back), so it shows that it CAN BE DONE even in such a 'niche' so there again the argument that wargames need to be $100 dollars is thrown out the window by the publishers who do this themselves.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So when facts don't backup your generalisation it's better to explain them away with something unrelated? You were the one arguing that wargaming was always a niche, yet when facts speak otherwise it's all of a sudden 'hurr durr gaems were for nerds'. How does the shape of demographic change the fact that wargames were objectively the most popular of genres?

Wargaming has been a niche for almost as long as I can remember and honestly, even in the late 80's and 90's I mostly remember people being all over platformers, adventure games, sims and racers with wargaming already being a niche. But hey, that's memory and I am probably wrong.

The rest of your post is basically either stuff I agree with, my point being taken out of context or stuff I've debated way too much. Publishers being shit is a well known fact. Small wargaming studios hardly breaking even is also a fact. Niche products appealing to a niche audience meaning niche sales is also an economical fact. Nothing here bites each other, just part of that what is.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wargaming has been a niche for almost as long as I can remember and honestly, even in the late 80's and 90's I mostly remember people being all over platformers, adventure games, sims and racers with wargaming already being a niche. But hey, that's memory and I am probably wrong.

The rest of your post is basically either stuff I agree with, my point being taken out of context or stuff I've debated way too much. Publishers being shit is a well known fact. Small wargaming studios hardly breaking even is also a fact. Niche products appealing to a niche audience meaning niche sales is also an economical fact. Nothing here bites each other, just part of that what is.
With such prices and lack of demos, it's going to become smaller and smaller niche. New wargamers don't come out of nowhere. They are people who accidentally tried wargame demos and liked them enough to buy/download their first one.
Who knows if I would be a wargamer today if I didn't accidentally run some that were on my C64 rip collection cassettes.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Which of you actually buys games?

I vaguely remember who's boasting about torrents in other threads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom