Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Or just award substantially more XP for all actions taken by the losing side, suddenly people have a reason to stay in the game and trying to do as well as they can.

Penalising people for quitting a hopeless match just leads to everyone hanging back and sniping, trying to at least get some kills.

sullynathan

Arcane
Well how much does the team have to be losing by till they start getting an xp bonus? It seems like pandering to the losing side but it would make the players at least stick to playing.

I'd go as far as saying that dice should invest in limiting the amount of players that can play a certain class in a match.

For example, if there are 4 classes then only 8 people on a team can play a specific class per spawn. It's really irritating playing battlefield 4 when everyone doesn't play as a team.

Interesting name, didn't know people still put X's in their names (and numbers)

The four X's represent the 4 chambers of the heart and their interface with the 4 elements so to put a word inside them is to represent that the thing is bound to my heart on a profound level. Used to promote a lot of punkcore over myspace.

Sounds cool when you read it. But then you realise the futility of making people stay on the losing side in a fps for an hour or more. And while it might be fun for the 2 commanders, the mostly stalemate could be dreary for regular players. Finally - I played Natural Selection when it was a mod for half life. There was always a huge fight to decide which player got to be commander. In a proper sized server for trench warfare, a player couldn't expect to get the commander experience more than once per day.

Drop the fps part though and you have a decent, but not terribly original rts/tower defence outline.

It would take a lot of fine tuning to make into a proper fps but hour long games is nothing too long, especially if the map is morphing before your eyes. Terrain and the way the (dream game) would interact with it would keep you interested no matter what stage you enter. Dreary stalemates would happen only on sections of the line where nothing (seemingly) is happening. I used to play NS back in the day too, a lot this probably inspired from it - alien creep, turrets, all that. Commander priviledges you could just give out with a reward/point system though, people jjizz over them anyway. Tower defense battlefield game will be perfect term for when I market this to EA.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Found this quite hilarious: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08...-collectors-edition-doesnt-come-with-the-game

$130 Battlefield 1 Collector's Edition Doesn't Come With the Game
All the glory, none of the guts.
By Joe Skrebels Amazon's exclusive collector's edition for Battlefield 1 costs $129.99 and doesn't include Battlefield 1.

Available for all three of the game's formats, the item's listing is pretty specific: "Battlefield 1 Exclusive Collector's Edition - Does Not Include Game".

maxresdefault-1467998058746_large.jpg

6 Minutes of Stunning Battlefield 1 4K Gameplay
06:24
So what does a game-less video game collector's edition include? Let's see (I'll help annotate):

• 14" statue (not the game)
  • Exclusive steelbook (not the game)
  • Cloth poster (not the game)
  • Deck of playing cards (different game)
  • Messenger pigeon tube containing exclusive DLC (for the game, but not the game)
  • Patch (not the game)
  • Premium Packaging (not the game)
For the price of, well, a full-price video game, you can grab the disc alongside the collector's edition for $189.99. Then there's the $209.99 Deluxe edition, which appears to make the sole addition of the Early Enlister version of the game - as you may have guessed, that's usually $20 more than the base game.

Battlefield 1 will be released on October 21 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. In other Battlefield news that omits the games themselves, Paramount is seemingly making a TV show out of the shooter.
globhead_dpad_red.png

sullynathan

Arcane
Went back to battlefield 4 after playing lots of six siege and I see why I dislike the game. Very little about the current battlefield series has to do with teamwork.

Destroid

Arcane
Sounds cool when you read it. But then you realise the futility of making people stay on the losing side in a fps for an hour or more. And while it might be fun for the 2 commanders, the mostly stalemate could be dreary for regular players. Finally - I played Natural Selection when it was a mod for half life. There was always a huge fight to decide which player got to be commander. In a proper sized server for trench warfare, a player couldn't expect to get the commander experience more than once per day.

Drop the fps part though and you have a decent, but not terribly original rts/tower defence outline.

Far more often people would fight because noone wanted to be commander.

A horse of course

I think Wolfenstein TNO did the same thing with its special edition.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Open beta available on all platforms from august 31, this is good news i guess? anyone can try it out.

They must be pretty confident in their product for all to test it

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hearing Johnny Cash makes me wish for a New Vegas running on Frostbite 4.0

Other than that, they seem to be sneaking in a steampunk/sci-fi/ww2 mix of shooters under the guise of "WWI"

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Other than that, they seem to be sneaking in a steampunk/sci-fi/ww2 mix of shooters under the guise of "WWI"
Outside of the ahistorical distribution of weapons and equipment, where are you seeing steampunk/sci-fi?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Outside of the ahistorical distribution of weapons and equipment, where are you seeing steampunk/sci-fi?
In the trailer - you have hand-held machineguns, full armor, revolvers, steam trains, blimps, horseriding all within the span of a couple of minutes. The first decade of the 20th century and the last two decades of the 19th are the perfect timeframe to set steampunk aren't they?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

In the trailer - you have hand-held machineguns, full armor, revolvers, steam trains, blimps, horseriding all within the span of a couple of minutes. The first decade of the 20th century and the last two decades of the 19th are the perfect timeframe to set steampunk aren't they?
All we saw was stuff that existed and was used in WWI, though probably not just that way and all in the same battle. That doesn't make it Steampunk, just unrealistic in a Hollywood-action-movie way.

Destroid

Arcane

This is more dieselpunk.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So WW1 is really just for flavor, other than that it's the same as playing any other BF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom