Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle for Wesnoth general

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Would be interested in modding this to soften the RNG. If you doubled the number of attacks but not their damage, and doubled all HP, healing, and other relevant effects, I think that would leave the game basically the same except for having more consistent (centrally clustered) outcomes.

A 2d6 compared to a 20 is a lot more volatile than a 4d6 compared to a 40.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I rate the writing quite highly, though of course it's minimal and to the point. You even have, in this desert elf campaign, a point where an impostor god is exposed, and one character trots out the liberal-standard-issue "We still have each other" line.
Only to be chastised by the priestess who declares that life must have a higher purpose.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Would be interested in modding this to soften the RNG. If you doubled the number of attacks but not their damage, and doubled all HP, healing, and other relevant effects, I think that would leave the game basically the same except for having more consistent (centrally clustered) outcomes.

Years and years ago -- maybe 2004? -- I corresponded with the creator a bit on this issue. The complaint I had was that the combination of the RNG and the potential cascade effect (an attack that has a high likelihood of success at finishing off an enemy goes awry, your unit gets killed instead, etc., etc.) seemed to push too firmly toward a conservative style of play that was less fun than it otherwise would be. He explained that this was perfectly consistent with its inspiration, the Genesis game Master of Monsters, and it was an essential element of the design.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I loved Vantage Master. Only ever found one person to play it with and then I made him perma-rage-quit with a Tarbs and water spell combo.

Years and years ago -- maybe 2004? -- I corresponded with the creator a bit on this issue. The complaint I had was that the combination of the RNG and the potential cascade effect (an attack that has a high likelihood of success at finishing off an enemy goes awry, your unit gets killed instead, etc., etc.) seemed to push too firmly toward a conservative style of play that was less fun than it otherwise would be. He explained that this was perfectly consistent with its inspiration, the Genesis game Master of Monsters, and it was an essential element of the design.

hey guys, i just published my own game, it's probably the worst shit ever but my inspiration is "big rigs" so it's perfectly consistent with its inspiration thus a masterpiece.

Nigromancer

Arcane

hey guys, i just published my own game, it's probably the worst shit ever but my inspiration is "big rigs" so it's perfectly consistent with its inspiration thus a masterpiece.

P-pierre Begue?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Awesome game - I play it every couple of years on harder difficulties and fail, try again, fail, try again, fail, start cheating and completely loose any interest in it for some time.
Started 15 years ago or something (wtf) and it's always cool to see when a new campaign is added. Can really recommend the Orc, Necromancer and Slave campaign!

:incline:

index.php

Arcane
The Dune Conquests Update
Wesnoth 1.16

After more than three years of development and thousands of commits made by dozens of contributors, the Battle for Wesnoth development team is proud to announce the availability of version 1.16.0 on Windows, macOS, and Linux! This release contains improvements to many different parts of the game, from new units and art, a completely overhauled and rebalanced Dunefolk faction, reworked campaigns, new multiplayer content, additional functionality for add-on authors, and much more.

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.14 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I return to this game periodically every couple years, and it's always different. Anyone remember the old, pre-sand adventures days, when the whole story was just generic fantasy stuff? It feels as though the unit design was tighter back then, with every unit having its place and being important for something, with various counters across different factions. Nowadays, it feels as though some of that was lost with the addition of so many new units and factions, though the game does offer more variety now.

index.php

Arcane
Wesnoth 1.18.0 — the Draconic Invasions Update — has arrived!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

After two and a half years of development and thousands of commits made by dozens of contributors, the Battle for Wesnoth development team is proud to announce the availability of version 1.18.0 on Windows, macOS, and Linux! This release features many new additions as well as refinements to existing content including a new Drake campaign, a full remake of our oldest Loyalist campaign, greatly improved graphical performance, major balance changes for multiplayer, achievements, many enhancements to the editor, and so much more!

A full list of changes and new features added since version 1.16 can be found in the release notes for this series.

Get on itch.io

Get on Steam

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Great to see another update, I'm especially looking forward to the new campaign. Also like the idea with the achievements, this could be an incentive for some unusual approaches but we'll see how it is going to be used.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom