Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

hivemind

8ejauAF.jpg

:positive:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fighting Geist with the new moral system is not recommended. Probably an even more bullshit moment than facing 7-8 archers in one battle. 3 Geists scared away my whole group only for them to get slaughtered by zombies.

Severian Silk

I am playing on Easy difficulty and have not lost anyone yet due to savescumming. I feel like such an awesome commander.

:positive:

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
God I hate archers and crossbowmen. I have no idea on how to defend against them. When bandits have more than 2 I always lose half my squad. The back-line gets decimated. The brigands just hang around and wait for me to advance only for their archers to pick my guys apart... and when I finally reach the enemy line I have built up too much fatigue to be able to fight, and probably have a couple of wounds already... and don't get my started on the morale. Bandits with brigands and archers are my worst enemy so far.

I actually think archers are WAY overtuned. Compared to real life, they're insanely accurate. Your average hunter can miss a stationary target (an animal) with a modern compound bow, the idea of dudes reliably making tracking shots on guys who are running around in the heat of battle is pretty silly.

But even by game-terms, they're way too accurate. I attack guys at night, for example, and I still see Marksman literally never fucking missing. They'll be shooting through a goddam forest of trees and men and not missing a single shot. And like you said -- they're doing the most damage. I actually think it's the only weak spot of BB's combat. All the tactical options are thrown aside for what amounts to an RNGfest with no real input. Archers shooting at one another is just a series of mindless dicerolls with super costly punishments when shots actually land. IMO, they should be low-accuracy shots with overwhelm put in to simulate suppression. Every time some guy makes a CS 1.6 aimbot shot through a thicket of dudes to dome my bannerman milling in the backline I get that real skeptical hippo look on my face.

If I come into a daytime fight and they're all sitting on hills I just straight up leave. Just to give an idea of how insane it is: I'd sooner face a bunch of orcs than a group of ragtag "bandits" armed with bows :lol:

Severian Silk

Run up to the archer with a fast melee person and he'll stop shooting and switch to melee weapons.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
And then he will turn around to call his Bros. to charge and realize they all ded.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is exactly what I'm doing now, hunting orcs. Sure they are menacing, but they don't have any archers. Taking a lot less losses fighting those green assholes than peasants with bows.

Thonius

Arcane
I was looking for Tri-Star mercenaries. Then I found Sir Eckhart - kneeling on the main square - and people were gathering around him. As he prayed there silently a powerful beam of light from heaven began shining down on him and when he stood up he was bathed in golden light for minutes.
This is the result:
gvtoOSX.jpg
It's cheat or what? Never saw ,mercenary with more than 3 stats with stars.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still haven't found anything on the internet that explainswaht the stars actually do, I assume they're pretty good n all though

hilfazer

Scholar
- The AOO system really sucks. Once your characters are pinned down there is nothing else they can do except attack an enemy beside them. And with movement being so limited you really can't in most situations escape being pinned.

Just an FYI to help out:

Shield Bash.
Stun.
Pull.
Push.
Footwork.
Rotation.
Break their morale.

All of these let you out of AOO zones.
Similar things worked for me in POE when i had problems with engagement. I didn't even realize that "engagement system is broken" until i came back to the Codex and got "enlightened".
BTW i've played POE right after release.

hivemind

geists aren't that bad, I have so far encountered max 3 per battle and that's manageable just fine with spears and my +10 resolve standard bearer bro

however agree about archers being retarded, I completely avoid fighting goblins because I just cba to deal with archers + poison so you can't chase into them

orcs are absolute cucks tho tbh

Latro

Arcane
If I come into a daytime fight and they're all sitting on hills I just straight up leave. Just to give an idea of how insane it is: I'd sooner face a bunch of orcs than a group of ragtag "bandits" armed with bows :lol:
What would be a good "suppression" mechanic though? I was thinking rather instead of overwhelm, you could give the archer a special mechanic that puts the target in a different state that makes movement cost an extra AP or some such. "Pinned" or something like that.
So you can get rid of the RNG arrow-to-the-face but still have an archer offer something valuable, like slowing down a particular target or etc.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For those wondering why Kurt didn't participate in the last fight: he was in reserve, drunk.
79zfSbk.jpg

Patrol contract, encountered a large group of bandit marksmen.
j0EyocS.jpg

After some painful experiences in the past, we decided kite shields are worth it and ranged defense is not a dump stat after all.
2qrKvEx.jpg

Using shieldwall and trees and bushes as cover the company falls on the bandits unscathed.
pV4qAix.jpg

It's a massacre now. Khopesh is a pretty cool weapon, heads flying everywhere.
Jul4O8O.jpg

While his comrades were being slaughtered this one bandit sunk around, hid in a bush and took a pot shot at my crossbowmen, then retreated from battle.
Jp9DGsJ.jpg

Good for you, sneaky bandit, good for you.
DOjNbHj.jpg

Soon after, on the same patrol route we were attacked by direwolves out of nowhere.
8mnuDP8.jpg

Now you might think wolves are no problem for higher level companies but I can't hit them at all and they chip at my armor each turn.
88pZHIh.jpg

Finally, the ones in the north fell and their morale started falling. This was a lot closer than it seemed, the armor on the 3 guys in the shieldwall is almost gone.
MOecdKy.jpg

The game now acknowledges that Kurt is the main character in this campaign. Cool.
9WaPVDB.jpg

Seriously, these guys are pathetic.
eaP4Dt8.jpg

Maybe some of them should start already buffed to the higher level, as they are they provide zero challenge outside of super early game.
fnB9C93.jpg

3-skull bandit camp in a swamp over a hill on a peninsula, took an entire day to get there.
5ZJd9sf.jpg

They got into a shooting competition with me but I won and now they have to attack me through the swamp in the middle, with predictable results.
seyAhIo.jpg

Kurt's character arc continues.
rQB4j3I.jpg

After this contract we got enough money for a cart!
TMZrEIG.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom