Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I have a weird thing with indebted. I always feel terrible when I roll/get one with decent stars because I feel like the luck was wasted on what could have been an awesome bro. Cant do it. Im the kind of OCD that rerolls starts WAY too often as it is so it just drives me nuts.

On that note anyone got any great seeds? There was a site that was trying to make a seed generator/library once does that still exist?
Welcome to the club.
My - less than ideal, I admit - answer is to play with fog of war. What you can't see, can't trigger your OCD and there is a 95% that the map will turn up at least usable, even if far from perfect.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I have a weird thing with indebted. I always feel terrible when I roll/get one with decent stars because I feel like the luck was wasted on what could have been an awesome bro. Cant do it. Im the kind of OCD that rerolls starts WAY too often as it is so it just drives me nuts.

On that note anyone got any great seeds? There was a site that was trying to make a seed generator/library once does that still exist?
If you have all DLC, you can try this one (my favourite):

GmkiwXblgw

I like it because all three of the southern city states have a harbour and you have a nice (almost) circle of towns in the north, all belonging to the same house. Not the most profitable wares to trade, but quite a bit of amber and furs, which will sell for more in the city states. The Citadel of the big house has all three shops. Edit: There are also many ports along the coast, makes getting from north to south really easy.

A negative: no kennels in the north, so no easy access to northern hounds.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
So what is the hardest start actually?

I found the three barbarian one difficult (Northern Raiders, is it?) because all the northern houses are hostile so you have to skitter down to the desert ASAP to escape.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

If you have all DLC, you can try this one (my favourite):

GmkiwXblgw

I like it because all three of the southern city states have a harbour and you have a nice (almost) circle of towns in the north, all belonging to the same house. Not the most profitable wares to trade, but quite a bit of amber and furs, which will sell for more in the city states. The Citadel of the big house has all three shops.

A negative: no kennels in the north, so no easy access to northern hounds.
For me stuff like trade is of less importance, as are any specific buildings. What counts are:
1) I hate southern cities placed on the shore but with no ports, in the middle of the desert is good, on the shore with port is good too
2) I dislike too many mountains (to lesser extent also swamps), especially the long mountains ranges make the movement tedious
3) Glitches and weirdness like only 2 southern cities and similar stuff are also a no.
4) Factions that have at least 3 towns/castles each, it somehow look weird with a 2-town faction.
Everything else is optional.

I like at least 2 hunter cabins in two separate towns but that's not a necessity. Also having a few ports in different areas of the map are nice to have but also not a necessity.

I once played on a map that had only 2 workshops in total. It was a little annoying but not to the point of being unplayable. Use of the retinue guy that creates tools after battle required.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I got into this horrible thing where once I got a map with a southern port, west coast port, AND a NE port in the snow. Had a great couple of games on it but then burned out trying to reroll another similar one.

I have tried your method of fog of war Serus and naturally its the kind of thing I like doing so next time Im going to commit to that I think. Even though Im already forseeing what will happen if I find there are no desert ports....grrrr I need electro shock therapy or something!

Fargus

Arcane

I found the three barbarian one difficult (Northern Raiders, is it?) because all the northern houses are hostile so you have to skitter down to the desert ASAP to escape.

It's a fun start though and ocassionally you'll get free fodder.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Yeah dunno about hardest but it's by far my most played start since it's so fun.

Fargus

Arcane

Yeah dunno about hardest but it's by far my most played start since it's so fun.

I like it, but my most fun was Davkul cultist run.

Lios

Cipher
Barbarian start is awesome, I feel like I'm playing an exclusive Battle Brothers scenario, what's with half the map hating you so you have to flee, the priest that you take captive and start with etc, it's like it tells a story on its own. It's also the first scenario that forced me to become a notorious caravan robber, which I enjoyed very much.
Same applies to Davkul run, it feels special.

I'm also a fan of the monster hunters, but this is more like a larping thing for me.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Hardest for me was actually Anatomists but I havent played all of them.

The reason I say this is because sure you get some cash but your bros are not amazing fighters and that lack of confident morale is crippling - to get mutagens you have to chase after enemies that often do morale damage and I didnt really find it paid off, gets even worse too as you start to face crises because it never goes away.

You dont get a lot of time to build up before it starts getting dangerous and you have to be more careful who you pick fights with midgame...leaves you with less options.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Muzak is p. good too.

Covenant

Savant

The reason I say this is because sure you get some cash but your bros are not amazing fighters and that lack of confident morale is crippling - to get mutagens you have to chase after enemies that often do morale damage and I didnt really find it paid off, gets even worse too as you start to face crises because it never goes away.

You dont get a lot of time to build up before it starts getting dangerous and you have to be more careful who you pick fights with midgame...leaves you with less options.
I feel like Anatomists probably have more endgame potential than any other start, because of the mutagens, but yeah, in terms of getting there...

I tend to primarily go with Lone Wolf; I never liked the 'Your commander doesn't actually exist' thing, so having them be an actual member of the squad works best for me. It's just a shame the free squire you get from the event couldn't have some kind of boost as well. And that the '12 men only' origins wasn't bumped up to 13 so that you can actually properly look at potential recruits without firing someone.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I feel like Anatomists probably have more endgame potential than any other start, because of the mutagens, but yeah, in terms of getting there...

I tend to primarily go with Lone Wolf; I never liked the 'Your commander doesn't actually exist' thing, so having them be an actual member of the squad works best for me. It's just a shame the free squire you get from the event couldn't have some kind of boost as well. And that the '12 men only' origins wasn't bumped up to 13 so that you can actually properly look at potential recruits without firing someone.
In Legends mod there are several starts with "avatar" start to choose from but that comes with everything else the mod has to offer. I also vaguely remember seeing a mod on Nexus that allows Lone Wolf with normal bros number limit.
I find Lone Wolf silly in the context of a mercenary unit. What counts is the unit not anyone in particular. Just imagine one of the bros is the commander - if he dies another one takes his role.

Fargus

Arcane
lol some disgrunted moderator drama?

Warning very tl;dr.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561199655056476/recommended/365360/

Overhype Studios are selfish, greedy, disingenuous, deceitful and exploiting
To be more precise the three founders and owners of Overhype Studios, Jan Taaks, Paul Taaks and Christof Schmidt are.
Why, you may ask? Well, continue reading to find out.

Some background information:
Under the name of Love Gun, I was an active moderator on Battle Brothers' Steam forum for almost two and a half years (from 3 Nov 2016 to 1 May 2019). I was there basically every day and when I wasn't I would make good for it, as soon as I could. Weekends, holidays, it did not matter, I was there.
Before that I was a very helpful and active community member on the Steam forums since 9 Aug 2015 (the game was released to Early Access 27 April 2015), reporting bugs, sharing my ideas, after all this was one of the first games that were released as Steam Early Access titles and I thought it was the coolest thing that the community was supposedly part of deveolping a game and the developers were actually in contact with you. Me being so involved also was the very reason they reached out to me to offer that position in the first place.
On top of that I was one of only two persons who also attended every closed beta testing over the years until May 2019. (That includes the base game, Lindwurm DLC, Beasts & Exploration DLC and Warriors of the North DLC.)
A Steam group only a couple of selected verifiably proficient and passionate about the game people are/were invited to.

So, to even be asked to take those positions where I spent multiple hundreds of hours each to do work that they requested of me to do, I had already spent multiple hundreds of hours becoming somewhat of an expert in the game and consumed almost every bit of information about the game and its developement that was shared by the devs on the internet.
During those betas I was a major contributor to make the game better by finding and reporting bugs, giving feedback on balancing and whatnot and making suggestions to improve where the game lacked.

Long story short, I was them a friend; especially during my time as a forum moderator here on Steam, I helped them whenever, whereever plus I showered them with tons of ideas and concepts for the game of which some actually made it into the game.
At the time I was appointed moderator there were already two active moderators in place. I outlived both of them until I was the last active one like for 1 or 1 1/2 years; since after all none of us was paid anything, so I don't blame them. And I would have probably continued, if they hadn't acted so careless and poorly.
So I kept working until a certain incident during the closed beta testing of Warriors of the North were I came to a sudden realisation:
Those devs, for whom I and not only I, but also the other moderators and dedicated testers - basically all the unpaid people that worked on the game have done so, so much - don't give a flying ♥♥♥♥ about us.
Instead of treating us like friends or honored guests, you know make this an enjoyable, fun experience for us the testers by being in a steady dialogue with us, letting us actually participate, we were treated like some sort of paid underling but without the pay. Our posts, thoughts and direct questions were ignored more often than not.
Rather than letting us participate, they would go their own way and use and exploit us and our expertise as they saw fit.

The incident:[i.ibb.co]
I called them out on their bullcrap, but instead of an apology to the testers and an open invitation to the group's chatroom, rapsdjff(Christof) gave me this patronizing response.
He denied the facts.
Nobody, but the two people using it, knew the chatroom was used. It certainly wasn't used in any of the prior beta testings and they certainly did not make it known in the group that it now is used.
And then he had the nerve of basically telling me to go back to work.
Dude, I don't need this. I am doing you one maaaassive favor for more than two years.
How about some humbleness, gratitude and respect?
And then he lied about being interested in what I think about a perk. No, you don't. If you were interested in anyone's opinion, you would have asked in the forum, visible for everyone, in the first place.

The message Jan sent me directly wasn't any better.(The message is incorporated in the mail exchange further down below.)
Even though I don't mention it in those emails, I did tell Jan, back in 2017, shortly after the very first closed beta testing had ended per Steam private message something along the lines of them not visibly responding to our feedback looks to the tester as them not consindering it or caring.
His response back then was the same lame excuse they gave me now, about 2 years later. He said something like, they would of course consider all the feedback and them not responding is because they do have so little time and the end phase is so stressful and they also still had to implement certain features to make the game ready for release.

At that point in time I was still somewhat understanding. Our chat about that ended there.
Now, sure it may very well be stressful, but this is your ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ work time. If the testers are able to take their free time to work on your commercial project, then you better take some time off of your work time to do the testers justice.
You had no publisher breathing down your neck to meet any deadline. This is entirely on you and your mismanagement.
In all those years they had learned nothing from the previous betas.
The beta phase for Warriors of the North was especially short, he says later in the emails. Now, whose fault is that?
He had the same alienating attitude as Christof, denying facts, basically telling me that they can do as they please and that that won't change, that I and the other testers have the obligation to them to provide, like I somehow owe them something.
We are specifically invited for our expertise and knowledge of the game that surpasses the devs', in some cases immensly as they even acknowledge themselves, only for them to then be the big decision maker and secretly judge whether our assessment is valid and correct to then make a balancing change or not. Which again would require them to know better than the testers do, which they don't. And if they then judged wrongly, they then expect us to slave away again, let ourselves be treated like some kind of suppliant, to convince them that they are wrong, which again they do decide themselves. What a farce. What a disregard of the unpaid testers' time. What a lack of respect and appreciation.

So I've had it with them. I left that day. I was done. They lost all my respect and the affection I somehow had for them and the game.
I did not respond to Christof's forum post nor to Jan's direct message and I would certainly not go through hell again for those guys, not for them, not anymore, by putting in all those hours that it would require to properly moderate the forum during the release of an expansion.

About two weeks after the incident I got a mail from Jan. Which lead to the exchange of a couple of mails[i.ibb.co] between him and me.
Here are the German originals[i.ibb.co].
(As the AI translations are sadly not as good as I have hoped, I advise you to read the German originals, if possible. But I hope they are good enough to serve the purpose.)

If you don't want to read the mails, here is a quick rundown of the important points with some extra information/explanation/interpretation:
To be continued in the comments of this review
(Click on the thumb at the top of the review to see the full review and the comments.)

Tyrr

Liturgist

Warning very tl;dr.

To be more precise the three founders and owners of Overhype Studios, Jan Taaks, Paul Taaks and Christof Schmidt are.

Under the name of Love Gun, I was an active moderator on Battle Brothers' Steam forum for almost two and a half years (from 3 Nov 2016 to 1 May 2019). I was there basically every day and when I wasn't I would make good for it, as soon as I could. Weekends, holidays, it did not matter, I was there.
Before that I was a very helpful and active community member on the Steam forums since 9 Aug 2015 (the game was released to Early Access 27 April 2015), reporting bugs, sharing my ideas, after all this was one of the first games that were released as Steam Early Access titles and I thought it was the coolest thing that the community was supposedly part of deveolping a game and the developers were actually in contact with you. Me being so involved also was the very reason they reached out to me to offer that position in the first place.
On top of that I was one of only two persons who also attended every closed beta testing over the years until May 2019. (That includes the base game, Lindwurm DLC, Beasts & Exploration DLC and Warriors of the North DLC.)
A Steam group only a couple of selected verifiably proficient and passionate about the game people are/were invited to.

So, to even be asked to take those positions where I spent multiple hundreds of hours each to do work that they requested of me to do, I had already spent multiple hundreds of hours becoming somewhat of an expert in the game and consumed almost every bit of information about the game and its developement that was shared by the devs on the internet.
During those betas I was a major contributor to make the game better by finding and reporting bugs, giving feedback on balancing and whatnot and making suggestions to improve where the game lacked.

Long story short, I was them a friend; especially during my time as a forum moderator here on Steam, I helped them whenever, whereever plus I showered them with tons of ideas and concepts for the game of which some actually made it into the game.
At the time I was appointed moderator there were already two active moderators in place. I outlived both of them until I was the last active one like for 1 or 1 1/2 years; since after all none of us was paid anything, so I don't blame them. And I would have probably continued, if they hadn't acted so careless and poorly.
So I kept working until a certain incident during the closed beta testing of Warriors of the North were I came to a sudden realisation:
Those devs, for whom I and not only I, but also the other moderators and dedicated testers - basically all the unpaid people that worked on the game have done so, so much - don't give a flying ♥♥♥♥ about us.
Instead of treating us like friends or honored guests, you know make this an enjoyable, fun experience for us the testers by being in a steady dialogue with us, letting us actually participate, we were treated like some sort of paid underling but without the pay. Our posts, thoughts and direct questions were ignored more often than not.
Rather than letting us participate, they would go their own way and use and exploit us and our expertise as they saw fit.

I called them out on their bullcrap, but instead of an apology to the testers and an open invitation to the group's chatroom, rapsdjff(Christof) gave me this patronizing response.
He denied the facts.
Nobody, but the two people using it, knew the chatroom was used. It certainly wasn't used in any of the prior beta testings and they certainly did not make it known in the group that it now is used.
Dude, I don't need this. I am doing you one maaaassive favor for more than two years.
And then he lied about being interested in what I think about a perk. No, you don't. If you were interested in anyone's opinion, you would have asked in the forum, visible for everyone, in the first place.

The message Jan sent me directly wasn't any better.(The message is incorporated in the mail exchange further down below.)
Even though I don't mention it in those emails, I did tell Jan, back in 2017, shortly after the very first closed beta testing had ended per Steam private message something along the lines of them not visibly responding to our feedback looks to the tester as them not consindering it or caring.
His response back then was the same lame excuse they gave me now, about 2 years later. He said something like, they would of course consider all the feedback and them not responding is because they do have so little time and the end phase is so stressful and they also still had to implement certain features to make the game ready for release.

At that point in time I was still somewhat understanding. Our chat about that ended there.
Now, sure it may very well be stressful, but this is your ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ work time. If the testers are able to take their free time to work on your commercial project, then you better take some time off of your work time to do the testers justice.
You had no publisher breathing down your neck to meet any deadline. This is entirely on you and your mismanagement.
The beta phase for Warriors of the North was especially short, he says later in the emails. Now, whose fault is that?
He had the same alienating attitude as Christof, denying facts, basically telling me that they can do as they please and that that won't change, that I and the other testers have the obligation to them to provide, like I somehow owe them something.
We are specifically invited for our expertise and knowledge of the game that surpasses the devs', in some cases immensly as they even acknowledge themselves, only for them to then be the big decision maker and secretly judge whether our assessment is valid and correct to then make a balancing change or not. Which again would require them to know better than the testers do, which they don't. And if they then judged wrongly, they then expect us to slave away again, let ourselves be treated like some kind of suppliant, to convince them that they are wrong, which again they do decide themselves. What a farce. What a disregard of the unpaid testers' time. What a lack of respect and appreciation.

So I've had it with them. I left that day. I was done. They lost all my respect and the affection I somehow had for them and the game.
I did not respond to Christof's forum post nor to Jan's direct message and I would certainly not go through hell again for those guys, not for them, not anymore, by putting in all those hours that it would require to properly moderate the forum during the release of an expansion.

About two weeks after the incident I got a mail from Jan. Which lead to the exchange of a couple of mails[i.ibb.co] between him and me.
(As the AI translations are sadly not as good as I have hoped, I advise you to read the German originals, if possible. But I hope they are good enough to serve the purpose.)

If you don't want to read the mails, here is a quick rundown of the important points with some extra information/explanation/interpretation:
(Click on the thumb at the top of the review to see the full review and the comments.)
Imagine moderating a forum for free.
You are either a cuck or you are doing it because it's the only place in your life you have a little bit of power.

Fargus

Arcane

Warning very tl;dr.

He denied the facts.

Imagine moderating a forum for free.
You are either a cuck or you are doing it because it's the only place in your life you have a little bit of power.

Nobodoly likes jannies. But an unpaid jannie is a special kind of you know who.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Making mods work for free makes me respect them.
Abusing mods whom they forced to work for free is worthy of my apploause.
The only thing that BioWare ever made right was firing a moderator, whoworked for them for free.

thesecret1

Arcane
Thanks for the good laugh :lol:

Step 1: offer to be a moderator for free
Step 2: do it for years, for free
Step 3: suddenly ask for $10k one day for services rendered
Ste- Wait what the fuck do you mean NO?!?! You have $10k, I saw it in your quarterly report! I know I said I'd do it for free, but I thought that was just, like, a joke and you'd eventually decide to pay me! THIS IS EXPLOITATION!

Fargus

Arcane
Bro with unique background janitor and a special trait that makes him wageless, enthusiastically joins your merc band for free. And 200 days of fighting and traveling later he asks you for 10k crowns. Would make for a fun in game event.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Bro with unique background janitor and a special trait that makes him wageless, enthusiastically joins your merc band for free. And 200 days of fighting and traveling later he asks you for 10k crowns. Would make for a fun in game event.
If there was another expansion in the works, who knows... Something akin to Calvin Barkmore from Jagged Alliance 2. Not that prestigious and well know, obviously.

Barbarian

Arcane

I remember during the dev diaries they once mentioned having the possibility to free/promote particularly talented indebted. Sadly this was never implemented.

Takamori

Learned
Do these people have social skills? Like come on in this case just say hey I need money and sadly can't keep doing for free gotta find a job. If his job was as invaluable as he said the guys in Overhype would propose a wage. If not well time to stop doing shit for free cuck and go find an actual job that pays you.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Do this people have social skills?
Do you really need to ask? Dude wrote a rant broken into 13 parts that boiled down to how cruel the devs were for not paying him after he agreed to work for no compensation. I'm more surprised that the devs were willing to play e-mail ping pong with him regarding his butthurt ass instead of hiring someone less insufferable immediately.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
>he's a janitor
>on the internet
>on an anime imageboard
>he does it for free
>he takes his "job" very seriously
>he does it because it is the only amount of power & control he will ever have in his pathetic life
>he deletes threads he doesn't like because whenever he gets upset he has an asthma attack
>he deletes threads he doesn't like because they interfere with the large backlog of little girl chinese cartoons he still has to watch
>he will never have a real job
>he will never move out of his parent's house
>he will never be at a healthy weight
>he will never know how to cook anything besides a hot pocket
>he will never have a girlfriend
>he will never have any friends

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom