Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Quatlo

Arcane
Even taking pseudo-randomness in the account, its skewering into one side or another extremely slightly, it would mean something with 99999999999 coin tosses to find that there is actually some more heads or tails, etc, not when making 3 pseudo random throws. 3 95% throws its still pretty big chance of missing each of them. For example, I've been playing some dnd with my buddies back in the day, boss emerges and my character throws 3x20 and instagibs him. It happens again in another boss fight a couple of months later. Fast forward a couple of years later DM asks me if he can use my character as one of enemies for his other group he is playing with currently, and I agree. After some time he messages me telling me that this character even as NPC is cursed, because it threw 3x20 on the party tank, instagibbing him too.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
there are 5,000 people in your town who are as smart as or smarter than you are.
i don't believe you
And you are right. Because his methodology suck and we don't have enough data or information.
We don't know who he thinks ''people'' consist. or where his 100k town is or what this town is. But lets ASSUME things.
1. We assume that by 'smarter than 95%' he mean being smarter than 95% of genus Homo(sure you can say that all of other branches are extinction but looking outside window I am not so sure) and by smart he mean getting high IQ score(but that is big assumption)
2. We assume than 'a town of population of 100k' he mean some idealized ''average'' town that pretty sure don't exist.
Now if you live in 100k town somewhere in Bumpkina Faso which average IQ for a country is around 70 then you being in top 5% of Humanity would probably make you smartest guy around with nobody smartest than you in miles, on the other hand if you land in some 100k research/high tech city like Siliconoid Valley or some old style academic city(outside of USA and before 90' - which mean before diversity hits) or some Soviet style closed city with population consisting of highly educated and smart people then its probable than you actually are in bottom 20%.
But sure in general if population distributions was uniform over the globe, all cities consist of uniform population samples then sure.

rojay

Scholar
there are 5,000 people in your town who are as smart as or smarter than you are.
i don't believe you
And you are right. Because his methodology suck and we don't have enough data or information.
We don't know who he thinks ''people'' consist. or where his 100k town is or what this town is. But lets ASSUME things.
1. We assume that by 'smarter than 95%' he mean being smarter than 95% of genus Homo(sure you can say that all of other branches are extinction but looking outside window I am not so sure) and by smart he mean getting high IQ score(but that is big assumption)
2. We assume than 'a town of population of 100k' he mean some idealized ''average'' town that pretty sure don't exist.
Now if you live in 100k town somewhere in Bumpkina Faso which average IQ for a country is around 70 then you being in top 5% of Humanity would probably make you smartest guy around with nobody smartest than you in miles, on the other hand if you land in some 100k research/high tech city like Siliconoid Valley or some old style academic city(outside of USA and before 90' - which mean before diversity hits) or some Soviet style closed city with population consisting of highly educated and smart people then its probable than you actually are in bottom 20%.
But sure in general if population distributions was uniform over the globe, all cities consist of uniform population samples then sure.
When you sober up, try that again?

PapaPetro

i don't believe you
That's a lot of Bayesian Analysis to avoid the fact that even among an infinite sample size, there must exist the smartest person. Regression to the Mean is a philosophical logical fallacy and more of a pragmatic heuristic that has enough verisimilitude to feel truthful.

Modron

Arcane
friendly reminder that you can mod out the 95% probability floor/ceiling with one line edit.
Next you'll mod your game so all battle brothers have 20 something ap like some guy did in this thread a few years back.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
friendly reminder that you can mod out the 95% probability floor/ceiling with one line edit.
Next you'll mod your game so all battle brothers have 20 something ap like some guy did in this thread a few years back.
A perk that gives your Bro an extra AP (or two) could create an interesting choice.
If a +1AP perk was added without any downside or limitation to its use (other than the cost of 1 perk slot) then it wouldn't be that interesting. It would allow to make some builds with slightly more dps (for example a 6ap + 4ap attack using quick hands) but no additional interesting options imo. Also better at running away - which wouldn't be a bad thing. In short, more of the same. At 2AP at the cost 1 slot would be more of the same but possibly too strong.

Legends, iirc, has some additional perks with additional AP - the amount is higher but is circumstantial. AP boosting perks that grant them after meeting some requirements (like berserk in vanilla after kill) are much more interesting.

I could see a very rare trait giving one additional AP, only found on very few bros of some rare and costly backgrounds like Gladiator. One gladiator from the gladiator start has something like that (not sure). Or maybe assassins. It wouldn't change much but it would add some additional "wow" moment when you find one - possibly the only one in a given campaign. Those are always nice.

Different proposal. Increase or decrease AP points randomly to characters with very high initiative. Say -1 to +3 or even -2 to +5. Chances start at some level of ini and increase with it - but only with the right perk. Because those AP would be random it would result in a very high damage and speed but very unreliable build. For people who like to gamble. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You already have an AP boost perk - kind of: The Polearm weapon spec. That does open new ways to play, like stepping one hex forwards to an enemy two hexes away, attacking and stepping back again so a two-handed weapon user can't hit you. (And yes, one of the Gladiators gets +1 AP for a kill.)

There is also the 'Berserk' perk, of course.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of my idea anymore, having most humanoids at 9 AP I find more advantageous. An extremely rare trait would be interesting though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New marketing technique: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/365360/view/3657536564724741290
Update 1.5.0.15

This update adds a free new banner to hoist for your mercenary company, inspired by popular German streamer Hand of Blood, who previously covered Battle Brothers in a series of Let's Play videos.

e36f37d6d511be5527c8b484f473b2084c409329.jpg

Additionally, you'll find a few fixes accumulated over the last couple of months.

If you have a modded game, update your mods. If you encounter issues, remove your mods.

If you still encounter issues, please report them here following the instructions in the sticky post.

Changelog for 1.5.0.15
  • Added a new player banner.
  • Fixed some post-combat events potentially not triggering as often as intended.
  • Fixed an incorrect AI consideration regarding the use of the 'Split Shield' skill.
  • Fixed various smaller issues and typos.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
New marketing technique: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/365360/view/3657536564724741290
Update 1.5.0.15

This update adds a free new banner to hoist for your mercenary company, inspired by popular German streamer Hand of Blood, who previously covered Battle Brothers in a series of Let's Play videos.

e36f37d6d511be5527c8b484f473b2084c409329.jpg

Additionally, you'll find a few fixes accumulated over the last couple of months.

If you have a modded game, update your mods. If you encounter issues, remove your mods.

If you still encounter issues, please report them here following the instructions in the sticky post.

Changelog for 1.5.0.15
  • Added a new player banner.
  • Fixed some post-combat events potentially not triggering as often as intended.
  • Fixed an incorrect AI consideration regarding the use of the 'Split Shield' skill.
  • Fixed various smaller issues and typos.
It's probably a 'thank you' for the thousands of sales he must have brought in with his 'let's play'.

I still find it hard to imagine that people not interested enough in tbt to know about BB just buy a game because of a streamer they like, but apparently that was the case.

Harthwain

Magister
I still find it hard to imagine that people not interested enough in tbt to know about BB just buy a game because of a streamer they like, but apparently that was the case.
Why is that surprising though? Information can come to you in different ways. I am not at all surprised that some people learn about some games from Twitch streamers or YouTubers. That's how I get news about indie developers whenever I am not actively searching for something online - by following someone like SplatterCat.

Coincidentally, I did learn about Battle Brothers by stumbling on their site/blog when looking for mercenary company-related games. But SplatterCat did cover Battle Brothers a few times (at least three, if memory serves me correctly, if not four), so I would've learned about Battle Brothers anyway eventually.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why is that surprising though? Information can come to you in different ways. I am not at all surprised that some people learn about some games from Twitch streamers or YouTubers. That's how I get news about indie developers whenever I am not actively searching for something online - by following someone like SplatterCat.

Coincidentally, I did learn about Battle Brothers by stumbling on their site/blog when looking for mercenary company-related games. But SplatterCat did cover Battle Brothers a few times (at least three, if memory serves me correctly, if not four), so I would've learned about Battle Brothers anyway eventually.
Just found it strange because tbt is a rather niche genre, the game was already six years old and it doesn't seem to be the type of game that streamer usually plays.

The overlap of fans of tbt(BB) / that streamer seemed very small.

I follow SplatterCat - and Nookrium - too to get info on (new) games, but they have a specific taste I often share.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom