Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Is there a noble house version of the coat of plates?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risk reward is a little screwy. On my first playthrough and I'm still in shit gear at 115 days. Avoiding all missions with the exception of parcel delivery and hunting down parties that would chase you so I can induce big battles to soften my losses. Only fair battle I do is against direwolves because spearwall is very good at that.

Safe method, but tedious and reward isn't there.

I don't think I got my first end game crisis yet. Not sure how. What kind of penalty is there for not resolving it?

Do trading and you will bathe in riches. Just started to do that in my game, and I'm probably the best trader(probably the richest too) in the lands by now. It has revived my campaign. All of sudden I could buy awesome equipment and the raiders are starting to fear me. I was stuck in the same place as you.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I disagree. I've had times where I definetely killed my target without fully destroying armor and still didn't get it. Happened yesterday with a Fallen Hero for example. Unless Fallen Heroes dont drop armor for some reason

They do drop helmets at least. Just got one. The description says it stinks inside it so I gave it to my wildman. Don't think he mind so much.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risk reward is a little screwy. On my first playthrough and I'm still in shit gear at 115 days. Avoiding all missions with the exception of parcel delivery and hunting down parties that would chase you so I can induce big battles to soften my losses. Only fair battle I do is against direwolves because spearwall is very good at that.

Safe method, but tedious and reward isn't there.

I don't think I got my first end game crisis yet. Not sure how. What kind of penalty is there for not resolving it?

Do trading and you will bathe in riches. Just started to do that in my game, and I'm probably the best trader(probably the richest too) in the lands by now. It has revived my campaign. All of sudden I could buy awesome equipment and the raiders are starting to fear me. I was stuck in the same place as you.
Yeap trading and looting enemy camps and selling REPAIRED equipment are the two main ways of making that extra gold that you need to keep up. Just remember to be constantly stocked up on tools and atl-right click every thing after battle

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
They do say Veteran-Ironman is "the way the game is supposed to be played" though.

That was what I thought as well, but after trying ironman and then thinking about it some more, I seriously reconsidered. The overall design of this game is greatly incompatible with ironman, unless you are a complete masochistic loony (to a degree even greater than required to play other games on ironman).

I will agree with you.
Ironman currently have no mechanics to support it. And the only answer is more grind.
-recruitment system
-minimal info on contracts
-low reward to risk ratio
-lack of high level replacements and grind in general(so high time investment)
-no ruin scouting(just let me know what faction reside I do not need to know exact numbers)
-no chance to reform before battle
-withdrawing mechanics - time consuming or costly

What could be done.
-early levels give more:
>say first 3 levels give double perks and +1 rolls
>next 4 give normal level ups and perks
>last three give no perks and -1 rolls
That way you get end builds earlier when leveling is still fun but less grindy
-let 1st level have its own perk and level ups
-make so high end recruits start with more levels(or even add +2 levels to all recruits)
-possibility to buy exp in veteran hall
Increase reward to risk ratio
-add bonus loot items or increase their value greatly
-make ancient coins or books to be exchanged for rare items or stats increasing consumables
Mechanic improvements:
-let scouting ruins(even for a bonus pay and risk of injury for scout)
>brawler Ivan go and scout this ruin for bonus 300 gold, it could be that he risk injury and success(or even cost ) is based on merc level
-allow player to reform his ranks and change equipment before battle(so you do not bring archers and spears to the skeleton fight)
-pay to see stats for potential recruits(either a part of cost or even fl;at fee for specific backgrounds) - it will also help if player have full rooster and was looking for replacements

jungl

Augur
so I just watched into the badlands on netflix. Guy takes on 6 bandits while surrounded barehanded with no armor how fuck is that possible??

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
DebFebo.jpg

I think I found a nachzehrer nest. I do wonder what the top number is, assuming it scales with renown.

Modron

Arcane
DebFebo.jpg

I think I found a nachzehrer nest. I do wonder what the top number is, assuming it scales with renown.

Definitely 30+ (encounters scale with days not renown) and you'll often find 3-5 ones that have already feasted 3 or more times (so they can swallow your men whole) from the get go.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I watched this video and shook my head as the zombies you painstakingly shivved reanimated with their armor and weapons equipped and you had to shiv them all over again... If you're going to do this with zombies shouldn't one of your guys go pick up the loot when it drops?

technically there is alt-f4 scouting :) but yeah that's not a proper solution, there ought to be different levels of scouting, not just no info and full info.

Exactly.
If you save scum or use alt f4 you can do it easily. But game itself lack any mechanics that support ironman.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nothing, but i roll around with 3 bowmen + 1 crossbow dude and that's basically lol nachzehrers

also lol not-warrior orcs, wiedergangers and goblins and probably some more stuff too

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yeap trading and looting enemy camps and selling REPAIRED equipment are the two main ways of making that extra gold that you need to keep up. Just remember to be constantly stocked up on tools and atl-right click every thing after battle

I disagree. Don't repair all the crap you loot, if something half[50%] broken with 80 durability points, sells for example for 20 gold, then its not worth it. The cost of tools will outweight the profit from selling that stuff when its repaired.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I disagree. Don't repair all the crap you loot, if something half[50%] broken with 80 durability points, sells for example for 20 gold, then its not worth it. The cost of tools will outweight the profit from selling that stuff when its repaired.
Absolutely not! At least in Veteran, I can repair all the shit I get from a combat vs orcs for example with like 20 tools (they cost about what, 250 gold, worst case?) and you easily make 150+ gold PER WEAPON.
So you can easily get 800-1000 profit or even more from one good battle.
Same applies to all enemies except beasts, at least when the mid game kicks in and they have some decent equipment. Especially anything two handed, you can sell for ~300 gold

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

If you have to repair 40 points of damage and you bought the tools for 200 pieces of gold, then that will cost you 26-27 gold. It's not worth it unless the weapon base cost is high enough. Orcish weapons are fine, but orcish shields, ancient skeletons weaponry is not worth to repair.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It varies depending on how easily you can get cheap tools (sub 200 gold per batch, preferably 150 or so?) and if you have a big city with ambushed trade routes or really high relations and faction relations. The more expensive/rare tools are (or if you are currently exploring the wilderniss and don't want to return yet, you need to save your tools for your own equipment unless you get lucky with tool drops... until you begin your return to civilization of course) and the less you get for the item in your preferred city the higher the base price of an item has to be to really make it worthwile.
I think it's usually safe to repair 600+ baseprice items though unless you have a really bad map with expensive and rare tools? 350 base price (like the tier 1 2h axe) might be enough on a good map.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Tbh. the tool system could use some changing (and the food probably too). Your guys will eventually end up going through tools like a hot knife through butter. I still wish you could at least have your equipment repaired in the shops cheaper than you can now. It's way too expensive. Everything in this game either costs comically little or comically much, esp. given the rather low-ish contract payments.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I watched this video and shook my head as the zombies you painstakingly shivved reanimated with their armor and weapons equipped and you had to shiv them all over again... If you're going to do this with zombies shouldn't one of your guys go pick up the loot when it drops?
I will do that if I would face Fallen Heroes just to take their weapons.
Overall its mostly not worth the effort and I want to preserve my high ground positions.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Overall its mostly not worth the effort and I want to preserve my high ground positions.

I thought you couldn't pick up loot?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

If there is that little brown bag on the corpse's hex, you can.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

You can but only weapons/quivers/shields/
Also it more of disarming them than looting.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Yup. I ALWAYS forget about it though... Could have saved me a bunch of times but what can you do.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Does looting works for other enemies than zombies?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Says the savescummer who always plays on veteran.

Yeah that.

I dunno, perhaps 3-skull contracts are intended for savescummers. Another option, then, would be to create more variety for one- and two-skull ones.

Seriously, I think there is a bit of an issue here: I won't take caravan runs because they're a total coin-toss. I won't take orc contracts because they're too high-risk. I won't take gobbo contracts because they don't pay enough. Which means I'll only do bandit contracts, item recovery contracts, artefact recovery contracts, bandit defence, hunts, and patrols, and those only if they're one or two skulls. That's it.

Point being, I think Ironman needs different balancing than non-Ironman, since in non-Ironman cost of failure is zero (you just reload).
you're a fucking degenerate and you're playing it wrong. ironman is meant to give you the experience of a real journey with real consequences to your dumb actions. when that journey ends you can start a new one and have a whole new experience of a whole new journey hopefully with other dumb mistakes. play some roguelikes once in a while or don't touch ironman. you are obviously not worthy.
on a side note, the game is very slow for a roguelike experience and that stupid first battle should be removed asap but ironman should never be balanced around non-ironman like you are suggesting. non ironman should not even exist. it serves no purpose whatsoever. what is the point in making a game with so much random shit going on and then giving the player the possibility of reloading???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom