Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 Kickstarter Launched

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
quality?

Johannes

Arcane
My hopes for this game are dwindling after seeing all the subhumans involved in its development on the livestream. When the highpoint of a get-together supposedly celebrating a 120k$ jackpot is a guy recounting the various times he inappropriately shit himself, with the quality of content dwindling steeply from then on over a period of hours despite the "brilliant minds" involved, I find it hard to believe that the end result could somehow magically turn into a quality piece of entertainment. I, for one, withdrew my pledge at the 666 mark, but hardly for the purpose of tickling chef's infantile sense of humor. :decline:
That does sound pretty bad.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey, thank you everybody for the support and contributions you all have given. Sorry I've taken so long to respond to this, if you caught the stream (why would you watch the stream????) you'd have seen that I'm pretty sick. I've pretty much been sleeping since the Kickstarter finished, trying to get completely better by tomorrow, which is when we're going to start working on the game full-time. But yeah, thank you everybody for helping to make this happen, we're all super pumped to get working on the game full blast and make something that will hopefully separate itself from the rest of the pack.

Also man, I have so many ideas for those animated cutscenes. I mean there will obviously have to be one for major plot points, but for the most part I want them to be really weird and obscure, stuff most people won't see. I want them to kind of be rewards for following through on things or doing exceptionally well as opposed to something you expect and feel, I guess, ENTITLED TO. Basically I just want this game to be really weird.

kazgar

Arcane
Still accepting paypal donations for those who missed out during the silly season (errr like me)

vidcon pack ordered, edutainment imminent

Data4

Arcane
Okay, maybe I'm out of line, but I never once gave the game a second thought-- hell, even a first thought-- because the name immediately makes me think it's a basketball game (which is code for "This game is going to be complete ass and cater to douchebags".). So... you know... remember that if you ever sit around wondering why no one seems to care about it. Now that I decided on a lark to read about it, it does sound interesting. I just can't get Frank Caliendo's impression of Charles Barkley saying "That's just trrble... bunch o' knuckleheads" out of my head now.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The same thing happened to me a long time ago. Then I realized that the douchebag was me. I recovered from this affliction by getting baptized in a lake of polygons which could only be found in Prosper's Land. Good luck Data4, and I hope this helped.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Okay, maybe I'm out of line, but I never once gave the game a second thought-- hell, even a first thought-- because the name immediately makes me think it's a basketball game (which is code for "This game is going to be complete ass and cater to douchebags".). So... you know... remember that if you ever sit around wondering why no one seems to care about it. Now that I decided on a lark to read about it, it does sound interesting. I just can't get Frank Caliendo's impression of Charles Barkley saying "That's just trrble... bunch o' knuckleheads" out of my head now.
Yeah, the original game's premise (not to mention this game's premise) is unbelievably bad and basically unsellable. You cannot really explain this game - telling someone that it's a Japanese-style RPG about Charles Barkley in a world where basketball is banned is probably the worst thing you can do because it sounds so ridiculous that it immediately turns people off. I think it's easier to just say that it's a legitimately funny game, not nerd humor or memes or references, but a game that is funny because we took a terrible premise and molded it into something decent. It's sort of about the contrast of the ridiculousness of the premise with how seriously it's taken; there aren't really jokes, the game itself is the joke and that's what makes it different from every other game that tries to be funny.

That was probably a terrible way to explain the game. So yeah, the game is unsellable.

Anyway, I don't know if any of you are in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, but we are going to be at MAGFest tomorrow, which is this music and game convention at the National Harbor. We went yesterday and it was really, really fun. We met the creator of To The Moon and a bunch of other cool people and I actually got recognized in public, which was the most surreal thing ever. If any of you all want to meet up, PM me or something and we can get in contact, or you could just bump into us. We've got the Cyberdwarf body pillow with us and Billy and Brian are giants, so we're really easy to spot. I know we've got some dinner thing at an indie game meetup, but we could probably go out drinking after that or something.

We missed Chris Huelsbeck today. My heart is broken :(

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yesterday was pretty fun and cool. We got several significant emails and unfortunately I can't talk about most of them yet, but they are all very, very good things for the game. One of them was a pretty cool email from a designer at Bethesda who wished us good luck on the project. This was a cool surprise because we're located only a few miles from them; it's cool that they care! It was also pretty surreal to be recognized in public; we not only met people who had played our games before, but who actually knew us. Crazy.

We got an email a few days earlier from a local blogger asking us if we'd like to come to an indie game meetup and this is actually the reason we went to the convention to begin with - we had no idea it existed before we got the email and decided it would be fun to network with some local game developers. We met up at a bar and went all over the place. Eventually it was me and my pals with a couple local game developer guys, one who has an iOS game company and another guy who is a programmer on Elder Scrolls Online. I got super fucking drunk and the night is kind of a blur, but we had a really good time. I remember the Elder Scrolls Online guy telling me stuff about the game, like that it's been in production since 2007 and this story about how a guy commented in the code "I'm placing these variables to store information". I know he told me more but I was too drunk to really pick up on it. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

So after we were all 110% drunk, we went to a concert game composer Yuzo Koshiro was DJing. He's my favorite game composer and a big part of the reason I decided to learn how to write music. It was a fun time and I took like 40 minutes of footage. The footage rules because I got great shots of Chris Huelsbeck (my other favorite game musician!) chilling out in the crowd, guys from a band called the Protomen going nuts and dancing in the audience and of course my pals being totally drunk. I'm not sure how to get the footage off my phone but I'll upload it eventually.

The one guy I really wanted to meet was 6e6e6e of Radio the Universe but I guess he wasn't around. Too bad : ( Oh, and of course Todd Howard.

So I guess the point is that if you're interested in developing games, NETWORK! Go out and meet people in your area, talk to people, see what other people are doing. We made a lot of great connections, met some cool people, saw some very good looking indie games and had a great time. It really opened my eyes: we're not an island, there's an entire local community that can support us (and we can support!)

And before you say I'm some party animal, we're working on the game right now, I just took a 10 minute break to talk about the crazy adventures this game has taken us on so far.

Esquilax

Arcane
Why you didn't punch the Bethesda dude in the face?

Yeah, right before you violently attack this person for something trivial, you should say "HEY MOTHERFUCKER RPG CODEX SAYS HELLO!!!" to really get the message across.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Congrats Chef! You guys are talented and work hard to achieve your dreams, so the attention is well deserved. I think it's only the tip of the iceberg for you guys though. I'm pretty convinced that Barkley 2 popularity will end up smashing everyone's expectations. Honestly I think it's awesome that you post here and whatnot, but I only pledged to your kickstarter because I have $77.77 worth of confidence for this project. In the end, those plaid shirts you wear are a tell tale sign that you only give a shit about making good games. I'M ALSO PRETTY SURE THAT YOU'RE GOOD AT IT. :salute:

Who knows? Maybe someday you'll be some future kid's favorite composer.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Can you get around paying royalties if you do a parody version of Space Jam in the game?

Yeah, I know, parody of shit song is almost redundant.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Why you didn't punch the Bethesda dude in the face?
Haha, he was the coolest dude. I didn't even know he worked for Bethesda until way after I met him. So I guess he cast a high level spellmaker fortify charisma spell.

A bright future at Bethsoft awaits.
If things go well with Barkley, I can see us relocating to Canada actually. . .

Congrats Chef! You guys are talented and work hard to achieve your dreams, so the attention is well deserved. I think it's only the tip of the iceberg for you guys though. I'm pretty convinced that Barkley 2 popularity will end up smashing everyone's expectations. Honestly I think it's awesome that you post here and whatnot, but I only pledged to your kickstarter because I have $77.77 worth of confidence for this project. In the end, those plaid shirts you wear are a tell tale sign that you only give a shit about making good games. I'M ALSO PRETTY SURE THAT YOU'RE GOOD AT IT. :salute:

Who knows? Maybe someday you'll be some future kid's favorite composer.
Thank you!!! I have always said plaid and indie games go hand in hand (I have never said this).

If, someday, by some divine accident I happen to make music that somebody enjoys I will be very happy. My goal with Non Human (a game you'll be getting in the ToG Game Pack, which we're putting the finishing touches on right now!) was to make one song as good as a song from Ys. That was what I told myself when I started working on the game 2 years ago. I'm not really a musician so much as I am a guy who's patient enough to click notes on my computer until they make the sounds I want them to make, so I seriously doubt I was able to do it with Non Human, but it was a very good learning experience and I will definitely do it with Barkley 2.

Can you get around paying royalties if you do a parody version of Space Jam in the game?

Yeah, I know, parody of shit song is almost redundant.
Yes and no. It's kind of weird, one of the laws I looked up said something like we need to pay 9% of the income a parody song generates to the party the song parodies, but I have no idea how to calculate how much that would even be. Anyway, the truth is we don't really want the song in the game. I mean, it is a great song, we love it and it defines the first game. But that's it - it defines the first game. I don't want this game to rest on the laurels of the first game, this is a new game and we want to do new things with it. This is going to be a new experience, both mechanically and thematically. We're not going to repeat the same jokes and the same experience and to me, that's what having the song in the game represents.

That said, based on some of the emails we've gotten recently, I don't think we'll need the Space Jam song.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The thing about that Space Jam theme is that it was funny because it was bad. I agree that including it in Barkley 2 would not have fit based on everything that has been shown to us so far. The email comment is extremely intriguing though.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Let's just say that he got an email from the head of the B-Ball Removal Department, Michael Jordan.

Charles Barkley confirmed for Barkley 2

(If Charles isnt confirmed plz get a big black actor dude to wear cyber prosthetics and do retarded stuff in front of a green screen)

Rpgsaurus Rex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom