Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale trilogy re-release

octavius

Arcane
Patron
you said you played the hell out of BT, but is this a case of "familiarity breeds contempt?"

Partly. When I learnt that AC determines chance to hit, for example.

BT is easier once you hit certain point, but is that due to the game balance, or a better understanding of the game mechanics that make people play 2 warriors, 1 bard, and three mages, or other funky setups?

Game balance, I think. I think most setups would work in BT1 as long as you had at least 2 fighter types, 1 Bard and at least 2 mages.

There were other groups of crit types in BT3 that could kill any party if the right combination was encountered, but it was rare and running was easier. One of the biggest problems I had with MM1 was there was too much variety in the nature of encounters. You fight 1 Minotaur and 1 goblin, or 16 x 4, but rarely did the balance feel right. Even at lower levels, I'd end up getting wiped by being unable to run from an incredibly huge group of creatures. Not like BT's 6 barbarians and 2 mages in the city, more like 8 of several types in many rows. Just too random. Not asking it to be easy, just more consistent.

That was rarely a problem for me, but this is partly balanced by the fact that you could teleport out of most difficult battles, anyway, once you learnt the spell.
With MM1 being non-linear and area scaled, I guess that if you still had problems after reaching lvl 5 you were in an area that was too tough for your party.

MMXI

Arcane
BT added [...] more interesting items
Well, perhaps, but let's stick to numbers. We can't have you diverting from your "facts" to "opinions" else we won't get anywhere. Wizardry 1 has 100 items, while Bard's Tale 1 and 2 both have 2^7 items. Wizardry 2, however, has 2^7 items too, yet it came out three years earlier.

BT added [...] music, better graphics
I never said that Wizardry had better graphics and music. In fact, I said that Wizardry had better gameplay.

BT added [...] more diverse locations
What does this mean? The first Bard's Tale majorly declined the dungeon design. It took Wizardry's well laid out dungeon levels and turned them into mazes. Just check out these Wizardry maps and compare them to maps of the earlier Bard's Tale dungeons like the sewers and catacombs. The dungeons kind of got better as the game progressed, I suppose. That's something for you to hold on to at least.

Then if we compare the dungeon levels in Bard's Tale 3 to the dungeon levels in Wizardry 5 it again loses. Weren't the levels in Bard's Tale 3 constrained to 22x22 squares still? Talk about outdated compared to these.

BT added buffs [...] more spells [...] and added range based combat and encounters, something MM1 and Wiz didn't add until much later.
Indeed. In fact the spell selection (but not the spell casting system) is the best thing about The Bard's Tale. I've mentioned before in another thread how it was really fun piling on the buffs as you unlocked them, and then walking around with lots of icons lighting up the interface. It's a shame that it fell behind only a year later when Might and Magic 1 came out with an extra 17 spells, even though it lacked summoning (but had better buffs).

Yes, your points are opinion, as if somehow your posting pictures and stuff is somehow going to make the world sit up and agree.
BT dramatically improved on it, though. This is not my hypothesizing, this here is fact.
:hmmm:

Look, MM1 was a poor rip off of BT, if it helps you sleep at night, you can call it "an homage" in a fancy French accent. I'm easy. MM1 came out after BT and has less features, a very cheap interface, and poor balance. It would be fairer to compare games that came out in the same year, such as BT2 and MM1, but that seems to irk you.
No. Might and Magic 1 has far more features than Bard's Tale 2, and my previous post compared the number of items and the wilderness areas of both of these games, so saying that the comparisons "irk" me makes no sense. We could compare Might and Magic 2 to Bard's Tale 3 if you want, but that's an even bigger victory for Might and Magic.

The fact that MM1 has zones with plenty of maps, more doesn't equal better, and like the rest of the game, the areas were of poor quality.
Have you actually played The Bard's Tale 2? Have you walked the wilderness between towns? It's fucking boring and barren. There's nothing there except town entrances, a few dungeon entrances and a couple of places required for the plot, all within a 32x48 area. The wilderness in Might and Magic plays a much larger part in the game, with different types of terrain, teleporters, traps, and little things to do such as climbing the trees in D3. It's not even comparable.

By 86', the RPG world moved past ASCII art in games, but apparently no-one told JVC.
:retarded:

I admire the moxy of putting the game together, but again, it didn't do it for me. To each his own. Openness (or non-linearity) must be coupled with something worth doing at your level. I didn't feel it in MM1, there were too many times where there was nothing to do at my level other than be constantly cursed by sprites. There was no sense of purpose, and roaming around felt just like that: like roaming around.
There's always something to do in the game. In fact, if you play the game from the start and keep a list of things you discover, you'll have an ever increasing list of things to do until the last 20% of the game where the list starts shrinking. This is actually one of the key elements of the Might and Magic games.

The 0xE0 to 0xEF range being empty, eh? I somehow feel that my responses are an excuse for you to establish your deep, deep understanding of games or something. Who knows. I believe MM1 provided little innovation, looked dated for when it was released, and didn't bring anything new to the table. Some people find it fun. I didn't. You did, and you are trying to use memory locations and pictures to validate your opinion.
Not memory locations, item codes. Here's the list of items from Might and Magic 1 and here's the list of items from The Bard's Tale 3.

I can rattle off quite a few innovations that BT, the original brought and I've named them. MM2 was a galactic improvement, and I like the MM series.
Oh, there were some innovations all right. Like I said, the spells were great, especially the summons. The second game introduced distances from enemy groups, which improved combat somewhat. The day and night cycle in the first game changing the monster table in town was very nice indeed. Even the variety of themes crammed inside the third game was a nice touch.

In fact, I'm glad that in spite of JVC's crummy first effort that only a retard could love, he persevered.
Summoning Sceptic.

Sorry. All kidding aside, I have about 8 copies of the original MM1. I promise I'll fire it up this weekend and try to make it to level 10 before I continue bitching or talking crazy.
Have fun. It's a good game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm embivalent about the BT map design. On one hand they were a challenge to map (a good thing in my book), especially BT2 with all the darkness zones, traps and spinners, compared to the more straightforward maps in MM1 and 2. OTOH there was rarely a theme to the map levels and too many of them wrapped around, which I've always hated in CRPGs.
And it is a sad fact that map levels were limited to 16X16 or 22x22 in old CRPGs thanks to hardware limitations.I know Wizardry 5 did not have this limitation, though, but what about Wizardry 1-4? Dark Heart of Uukrul was also an old game with non-standard level sizes.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm embivalent about the BT map design. On one hand they were a challenge to map (a good thing in my book), especially BT2 with all the darkness zones, traps and spinners, compared to the more straightforward maps in MM1 and 2. OTOH there was rarely a theme to the map levels and too many of them wrapped around, which I've always hated in CRPGs.
And it is a sad fact that map levels were limited to 16X16 or 22x22 in old CRPGs thanks to hardware limitations.I know Wizardry 5 did not have this limitation, though, but what about Wizardry 1-4? Dark Heart of Uukrul was also an old game with non-standard level sizes.
The maps in BT1 & 2 are on a 22 x 22 grid. In BT3, they changed the shape and size of the maps, but I do not think any exceeded 22 x 22. There is a link here with the maps in ascii which gets the point across.

Most games like MM1, PoR, and the like would have a larger map, but a loading screen when traversing fixed boundaries. That is, once you go one square east of cell 22x, 22y, you would end up in the next map over in 0x, 22y on another map. MM1-5 all do this, even the IBM versions. However, I only played Uukrul on the PC, so I don't remember the transitions. I'm thinking a lot of games that appeared larger would use tricks like they did in U7 (all zones, even dungeons were actually on the overland map, they were just hidden from view, beneath mountains and such.) Other games could load a map that is 22 x 22 and move the player through 3 side by side maps of smaller size, like 7 x 22, so you end up with one rolling 7 x 66 map. But I'm hypothesizing. These here ain't facts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I see this on the Android market Google Play Store now. Pretty cheap. Doesn't have the entire classic trilogy yet though, only the first game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These are on sale today. Full trilogy hasn't been released yet on Android, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
MXS6f.png

:greatjob:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
Yes if you already own Bard's Tale from Steam you will get the trilogy for free. Should be up any time!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Before anyone makes the ghastly mistake of purchasing BT, I gotta know: did Brian Fargo fix that horrific trap bug in BT2?!

kazgar

Arcane
I suppose then it's just the DOS versions?

Looks like its the apple II gs version of bard's tale 1, haven't tried any in anger yet.

there's a disk management overlay so you can swap the floppy disks.

bard's tale 3 seems to have a high powered company pre-saved, somewhere near the end of the game.

supposed to be a wraparound hotkey that shows you maps, but all it does is exit the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't know when it was activated, but I'm downloading the update for the Bard's Tale right now.

MMXI

Arcane

First game is definitely Apple II. Second also, I think. Third is ugly as hell, probably DOS.

MMXI would know more.
I don't know. Are there any screenshots? I'm sure I could tell from looking at them all. If they are all different versions I assume you can't import a party from one game to the next.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

First game is definitely Apple II. Second also, I think. Third is ugly as hell, probably DOS.

MMXI would know more.
I don't know. Are there any screenshots? I'm sure I could tell from looking at them all. If they are all different versions I assume you can't import a party from one game to the next.

They're for sale now on Steam for 2.5 bucks (hint hint)

MMXI

Arcane

Phineas

Educated
This will be great alongside The Quest & Undercroft which are fucking awesome too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom