Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #29: Combat Mechanics Overview

Zeriel

Arcane
This also looks like it will be the first InXile game that doesn't have completely terrible art. I wonder why--new hires, I guess, aren't most of the people working on this game in the new Louisiana studio?

Same art director as Wasteland 2, Maxx(xxx) Kaufman.

Then it remains perplexing to me. It certainly can't be the budget. Wasteland got more money.

Maybe they were just too fucking busy figuring out their business organization at the time of Wasteland to make a genuine artistic effort. Thank god for Unreal 4 is all I have to say.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This also looks like it will be the first InXile game that doesn't have completely terrible art. I wonder why--new hires, I guess, aren't most of the people working on this game in the new Louisiana studio?

Same art director as Wasteland 2, Maxx(xxx) Kaufman.

Then it remains perplexing to me. It certainly can't be the budget. Wasteland got more money.

Maybe they were just too fucking busy figuring out their business organization at the time of Wasteland to make a genuine artistic effort. Thank god for Unreal 4 is all I have to say.

...in its Kickstarter campaign. Bard's Tale IV has access to the profits of Wasteland 2 and future profits of Torment.

But really, it's a different kind of game. Maybe he has better ideas for fantasy art design. *shrug*

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. It's fucked up and I don't like it, but first Kickstarters often seem like they're funding a company's ability to organize and get their shit together more than the actual game. So later efforts if they keep the income coming in will, at the same funding level, get a lot more bang for buck.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They will be mocking shit up until release, then you can play it for realz and it will be shit.

Dunno why people keep believing anything that comes out of Fargos mouth/mouthpieces. After the Wl2 'release day patch will fix everything' 'you need to play 40 hour Arizona prologue to get to the real game'

Darkzone

Arcane
In Maxx Kaufmans profile is listed Bard's Tale and Bard's Tale 2 (for whatever reason), Heist, Haunted the Demon's Forge, Wasteland and Bard's Tale IV. He worked for Gray Matter Studios (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Trinity) and Xatrix Entertainment. So perhaps WL2 was just an accident.

Zeriel

Arcane
People talked a lot of shit about Hunted, but its art was pretty cool. If he was behind the almost-entirely-naked elf chick protagonist, he can't be all bad.

jungl

Augur
This one of my favorite rpg sub genres hopefully Inexile can bring it back in the fold again. MMX was a fun game but had some huge flaws I thought it was hilarious in the games final dungeon you went up against essentially kingdom hearts heartless that didn't make the cut.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bard's Tale 2 (for whatever reason)

Huh, so there was supposed to be a sequel to that game. I'm not sure if that's news, or if people knew and just didn't care enough to remember.

Wizfall

Cipher
MMX was awful because customization/development of your characters were extremely limited.
And it is in my opinion the most important aspect of a blobber, watch your custom party grow and be somewhat unique (like in Wizardry 8).
This basic flaw makes me lose all interest in MMX.

Darkzone

Arcane
Huh, so there was supposed to be a sequel to that game. I'm not sure if that's news, or if people knew and just didn't care enough to remember.

Heehhh? The implication was: Did he really worked on BT1 and BT2, because i can't remember reading his name in the credits in the manual or the box.
I remember only reading the name and the picture of Micheal Cranford in the BT1 box or Manual and i know from Rebecca Heineman, that Lawrence Holland composed the music for BT. And in Wikipedia is listed Eric Joyner and Don Carson as the artist making the original cover art and David Lowery as the graphics designer for BT1, but that does not necessary exclude Maxx Kaufman from working on BT1 and BT2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Heehhh? The implication was: Did he really worked on BT1 and BT2, because i can't remember reading his name in the credits in the manual or the box.
I remember only reading the name and the picture of Micheal Cranford in the BT1 box or Manual and i know from Rebecca Heineman, that Lawrence Holland composed the music for BT. And in Wikipedia is listed Eric Joyner and Don Carson as the artist making the original cover art and David Lowery as the graphics designer for BT1, but that does not necessary exclude Maxx Kaufman from working on BT1 and BT2.

Hah no, it's obviously a cancelled sequel to the new Bard's Tale (the old new Bard's Tale, heh). He didn't work on the 80s games, the guy's probably too young to have been around for those.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MMX was so tepidly boring I couldn't even finish it. Amazing? Plz.

Darkzone

Arcane

Hah no, it's obviously a cancelled sequel to the new Bard's Tale (the old new Bard's Tale, heh). He didn't work on the 80s games, the guy's probably too young to have been around for those.
So wait there was a planned sequel to BT2004, and it was not made. NOOOOOOoooooooo.....:negative:
But perhaps threre is still hope, if Torment and BTIV have good reviews and sales. Also Cary Elwes is still alive to reprise his amazing role as The Bard. Sadly Tony Jay is dead, but certainly there are many more brits on this world with a good voice.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So I guess the monsters will be 3D models, not 2D? The 2D art in Wasteland was excellent and most of the 3D stuff looked okay as well. I didn't like the 3D world map though.

ColCol

Arcane
From this post I really do see the hearthstone feeling they were discussing earlier. I hope they keep combat like this.

worldsmith

Savant
Why the fuck the warrior with dual blades has reach 2? Why the fuck some dude with a longbow needs to be able to hit something "4 squares away"...it's a fucking longbow.

Having mounted his arrow to the end of his trusty bow, he now has a 50% reach advantage over all of those dumb warriors with their swords. There can be no dispute - none is more clever than... The Hunter.

Darkzone

Arcane
So I guess the monsters will be 3D models, not 2D? The 2D art in Wasteland was excellent and most of the 3D stuff looked okay as well. I didn't like the 3D world map though.
I was also against it from day 1, and i think that it brought nothing to the game, beside that it was in 3D.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd be sold if they made that 3D stuff look and behave like those old stop-motion animations just for the fuck of it.

harryhausen1.gif

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Good to see our old friend Brian 'The Long Con' Fargo at it again. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom