Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign launching on June 2nd

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
phase based might be total shit. I am going to wait for them to describe how it will really work before shoveling a truckload of money their way.
Isn't phased based simply a pecking order/initiative rolls determining what actions happen first after you input your commands... sort of like... the original Bard's Tale series.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm wondering if he still wants to make combat similar to Hearthstone in some way, as has been mentioned before.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
phase based might be total shit. I am going to wait for them to describe how it will really work before shoveling a truckload of money their way.
Isn't phased based simply a pecking order/initiative rolls determining what actions happen first after you input your commands... sort of like... the original Bard's Tale series.
It sounds like it might mean you put in orders and then everyone moves at once.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, what do you mean by 'move?' I'm assuming this is going to be blobber style combat and not isometric (in which case, fuck dat, won't buy) so there's no moving around simply actions. Paladin slashes at Mangar for X damage. Sir Derpalot plays the Rhyme of Duotime, Merlin casts FarFoe, etc.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah its a pretty bad system for a party based rpg (would work better in military type games as a senior officer theoretically) at least I can't recall one I can honestly say that I truly enjoyed as turn based or time based usually does the trick for party based rpgs.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Actually he should wait with the kickstarter until W2 is fixed with the new pseudo "EE" or he´ll lose backers!

Perkel

Arcane
Blobber ? .... yuck....

Turn based blobber ? Hmmm gotta see pitch first

QrSYccv.png

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, what do you mean by 'move?' I'm assuming this is going to be blobber style combat and not isometric (in which case, fuck dat, won't buy) so there's no moving around simply actions. Paladin slashes at Mangar for X damage. Sir Derpalot plays the Rhyme of Duotime, Merlin casts FarFoe, etc.
So Phantasy Star combat?

Dehumanizer

Educated
So Phantasy Star combat?
Much older: Wizardry combat.

But I don't think they'll be doing that for BT4.

mondblut

Arcane

Phase-based is what Bard's Tale always was. Along with Wizardry and first 2 M&M.

I hope they won't make enough for "party will appear in battle as...fully-rendered characters" if it implies the idiotic jrpg combat mode.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is Fargo some kind of mystic? How exactly does he have the power to get a hold of licenses publishers have been sitting on for decades, coming from a position of practically no power? Moving mountains would be easier.

Someone tell the Seven Dragon Saga guys so the can ride Fargo's coattails to their minimum funding goal.

I was actually thinking, they should work out a deal with TSI to make Seven Dragon Saga a stretch goal.

Annexing TSI and/or their project into inXile's sphere of influence wouldn't be a terrible idea since Fargo has billed himself as the "Nostalgia Guy" but I'm not sure it fits into his plans.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Fargo some kind of mystic? How exactly does he have the power to get a hold of licenses publishers have been sitting on for decades, coming from a position of practically no power? Moving mountains would be easier.

Well, he's gotten two licenses, both of them EA. EA also let the Underworld guys use "Underworld". So it's more that there's some unknown EA executive who's a total bro...at least when it comes to dealing with reasonably well-connected veteran developers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is not like they are giving those for free, you can bet EA gets a nice cut from all of those games. They got a smart executive, not a bro one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is not like they are giving those for free, you can bet EA gets a nice cut from all of those games. They got a smart executive, not a bro one.

From what I understand from talking to Brother None, they're not taking a cut. Though I imagine he doesn't want to comment on this publicly.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The weakest IP in Fargo's portfolio, I think he is making a gamble here, I expect this to be barely funded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom