Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Balrum

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
this game is pretty good, not sure why it was so disliked
:takemyjewgold:
Who dislike it? The game is pretty slow,without cheatengine it would be bore. Also combat is very difficult and unrewarding. Most skills don't matter. For example trapping only improves your disarm skill by 5%. Still the exploration is fun,even if you die every time you find something.

wishbonetail

Learned
Pretty good game. It is an old school in a good kind of way. Meaningful exploration, tb combat, open world, no quest markers or hand holding, a lot of options in character building. It is like isometric Gothic or MM. It looks like Eschalon but it has ten times the amount of content. Hugely underrated here for some reason. Only pussy complaints i see are slow walking speed and that it is hard.

notpl

Arbiter
Totally pointless busywork gameplay, no quest markers because there are no quests or dialogue to speak of, just a few short dungeons that might as well be procgens, lots of options in character building that are all completely useless and in reality you just click the enemies to death with whatever melee weapon has the highest number even as a "mage." It felt like RPG madlibs, something made by a computer with no understanding of joy or fun that was simply given a checklist of features to create (open world, crafting, farming, etc)

wishbonetail

Learned
Totally pointless busywork gameplay, no quest markers because there are no quests or dialogue to speak of, just a few short dungeons that might as well be procgens, lots of options in character building that are all completely useless and in reality you just click the enemies to death with whatever melee weapon has the highest number even as a "mage." It felt like RPG madlibs, something made by a computer with no understanding of joy or fun that was simply given a checklist of features to create (open world, crafting, farming, etc)
Whelp, I completed the game with a mage and with a warrior on Hard and I have to say that i needed most of the active skills and my hotbars were filled to the brim. Everything is useful, at least on Hard. Of course, there three major archetypes like warrior, mage and ranger but they are different as they can be in a single character TB game.
No, there are more than few short dungeons. Some are pretty elaborate. There are puzzles, riddles, secrets. Almost all off the POIs have interesting quirks to them. I mean it when i say oldschool exploration.
I honestly don't understand the critisizm towards this game. It seems like it is some trend to try a game for ten minutes, then go shit on it.

notpl

Arbiter
Whelp, I completed the game with a mage and with a warrior on Hard and I have to say that i needed most of the active skills and my hotbars were filled to the brim. Everything is useful, at least on Hard. Of course, there three major archetypes like warrior, mage and ranger but they are different as they can be in a single character TB game.
No, there are more than few short dungeons. Some are pretty elaborate. There are puzzles, riddles, secrets. Almost all off the POIs have interesting quirks to them. I mean it when i say oldschool exploration.
I honestly don't understand the critisizm towards this game. It seems like it is some trend to try a game for ten minutes, then go shit on it.
It's fun.

Game's entirely uninspired. It is boring and not worth investigating its systems too deeply. You'll see.

index.php

Arcane

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/424250/view/3694678490402145141
7th Birthday! Patch 1.7!

Balrum is 7 years old! We are celebrating with a new patch and a 75% discount!

45ff9c1ae696fc87281fcf0344292603928fb560.gif

The new patch contains the following improvements:

• The game now uses the latest libraries to ensure the best compatibility with modern systems.
  • Modernized the underlying sound system to better handle modern audio configurations.
  • Added sound effects to various game elements. Like opening a cauldron or picking up certain items that had no sound effect previously.
  • Added a new conversation for Dudley. (this conversation should help newcomers to the game)
  • Added a new map marker to the Darkwood map. (needs new playthrough)
  • Small increases to text size in certain UI elements. (e.g. XP gained)

Thank you for your support over the years everyone!

Follow us on Twitter!

Have a nice day!
Balcony Team

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I honestly don't know what is considered shit on this site anymore.
First a game must have great story telling and an adult plot to be liked here. Most top rpgcodex games have that, from planescape torment to deus ex. Balrum doesnt , its lame uninspired cliché plot . I played it 30 hours, because i was bored and my time isnt valuable. So no , not 10 min and shitting on the game, i definitely can tell the plot is lame.
Then after story telling come the character creation and tactical combat. Character creation? barely anything. Tactical combat ? None you play one lone guy, there's zero depth, zero tactical challenge as expected ,pretty much like eschalon.
So , exploration last, the game can emulate some puzzles from games i played 30 , no almost 40years , ago now, congratulations what a feat *claps* . Oh and a pretty isometric tileset.Shitty indie surfing on nostalgia with no risk taken , no vision, no soul , no talent.

TLDR: It's shit !

Geckabor

Savant
My main issue with the game was that progression halted very early. As soon as you get to the guilds, you unlock all abilities for your class and there's not much to do afterwards, except that you still need a long way to go until the game is done. That being said, I liked the atmosphere, finding secrets/puzzles and the humble/cozy start.

Mortmal

Arcane
fantadomat you maybe also love the crafting in the game building a house completely disconnected from the gameplay with no use ? Tell us of your game impressions you retarded bulgarian filth rather than just pushing a butthurt button.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat you maybe also love the crafting in the game building a house completely disconnected from the gameplay with no use ? Tell us of your game impressions you retarded bulgarian filth rather than just pushing a butthurt button.
DO you even have a game that you enjoy ? It was fine indi rpg game about exploring an open world with different dungeons and quests. Imagine being butthurt that you can't build your sims mansion in a rpg lol.

Mortmal

Arcane
DO you even have a game that you enjoy ? It was fine indi rpg game about exploring an open world with different dungeons and quests. Imagine being butthurt that you can't build your sims mansion in a rpg lol.
You are a poser shitting all day on much better games and pretending to be in awe by this half assed attempt at a rpg. Plus you cant read, i said i dont like the housing in this game, it's pointless irrelevant to everything else in the game, also i hate crafting .Also Grauken seriously fuck you for brofisting him.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You are a poser shitting all day on much better games and pretending to be in awe by this half assed attempt at a rpg. Plus you cant read, i said i dont like the housing in this game, it's pointless irrelevant to everything else in the game, also i hate crafting .Also Grauken seriously fuck you for brofisting him.
Ohhh and what are those glorious gems i am shitting on?!

Mortmal

Arcane
Mortmal ......i am still waiting....
well what to start with, i wont make the effort to dig through your post history since 90% of it is not gaming related, but i can remember you shitting over solasta and BG3. Solasta having the best tactical combat sytem besides KOTC2 and most faithfull adaptation i seen of a tabletop system rules. Then you shit on BG3 which is the only big budgets RPG we got since decades and in overral far superior in every aspects to most of the other stuff released recently. Those games arent without flaws but they are so above the shitty indie stuff you shill for its not even funny anymore. Hypocrisy and double standards as usual on the dex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom