Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

Can't play either White March because of the insane load screen times, so I guess Beamdog just got upgraded.

White March is a very good expansion that deserves a play. At least there I didn't see any childish narrative situation ( or the main character that gets stuck in between a chair and a table ).

Zeriel

Arcane

I really wish they'd stop raping things we used to enjoy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems if your main character is of evil alignment, you get different starting party. I didn't know that. Nice touch!

The altered Minsc voice set is pure :decline: Please don't try to be creative at the expense of the classics.

Xenich

Cipher
Why does it look so much worse and less detailed than isometric games from 15+ years ago?

The hard truth is that the art of making these kinds of 2D games has been lost to time, much like the writings of the Greek philosophers were lost during the Dark Ages.

The hard truth is that most of the talent left the industry years ago.

“If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”

“I got to write a little tender, romance-y side quest for Khalid and Jaheira where you could learn a little bit about how their marriage works and how they really feel about each other.”

There’s also four new companions, one of whom is gay, one of whom is bisexual. There’s even a monster companion, a throwback to a Baldur’s Gate II easter egg. But it’s not just about representation for representation’s sake. Beamdog wanted to give players options.

probably old news, but wtf

Here is a review from GoG:

Amber Scott, the writer of this game, says that the original Baldur's Gate is sexist. Captain Corwin, a major NPC, is a single bisexual mother whose daughter calls you out for mansplaining to her. There is a transgender NPC. Etc etcIf that's your sort of thing, then this review should be useless to you. But for people like me who don't want to financially or morally support the ever more omnipresent liberal lunacy injected in all forms of art, perhaps you should skip this.

Yeah, they can take their SJW homosexual glamorizing crap and piss off. Beamdog, you just established yourself as yet another Bioware, irrelevant storybooks for the mentally ill. Good luck with that, I won't be buying your shit games as you can't seem understand the difference between a game and that of pushing politics.

Xenich

Cipher

I really wish they'd stop raping things we used to enjoy.

That is all they can do. If they had to market their political BS in a title of their own merit, nobody would bother to give it a second glance. That is why they hijack already established movies, games, TV shows, etc... Ever notice that after they start to get popular, they begin to introduce all these gay/transgen characters and other SJW politics? They think they are "educating" people, but all they end up doing is killing off franchises.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
So with this newfangled Steam/GOG Galaxy technology they can track in-game events, right? Would be funny if a majority of players ended up killing the NPCs in question.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So, are the EE versions of BG, BG2, and IWD worth playing now or should one stick to the originals?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, are the EE versions of BG, BG2, and IWD worth playing now or should one stick to the originals?
Easy. If you don't bother to install a few mods, which take 5 minutes max, then stick to the original. If you are too lazy for that and want the games right out of the package, and don't mind some downgraded graphics, then play the EE.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does she say you are "mansplaining" if you play a female character?

Edit: I'm thinking of making a female bard named Melania.

Last edited:

A user named cat

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam

TrentOster

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Thank you.
-Trent

:butthurt:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam

TrentOster

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Thank you.
-Trent

:butthurt:
What a fucking loser. Defend your art yourself, you retard. Don't ask other people to do it for you.

Mustawd

Please say nice things about my game to help us ignore the bad things being said about my game.

Makes me want to buy it to give it a negative review.

Weasel
Current metacritic user rating : 4.5

JH86j2V.jpg

"I may get past the numerous bugs, I may reacquire new muscle memory and adapt to the new stupid UI, I may even disregard being educated in the proper etiquette of talking politely to transgender badly written characters with railroaded dialogue in the name of modernism, I may even laugh off the poor form of the devs insulting Baldur's Gate writing and labeling it sexist, and biting more than she can shew, but I will certainly not forgive twisting the character of Minsc the beloved icon of my beloved games to push forward Sjw nonsense. That get this add-on an automatic zero and a request for refund. Won't support this so called developers out of touch with reality again."

:incloosive::hero:

neucifer

Novice
for anyone here who is actually playing the game, I'm stuck:

I'm supposed to find a band of runaway Crusaders in a ruined temple, but the only unexplored area I can seem to get to is a cave with a nasty green dragon and two wyverns. did I miss something somewhere?

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted
Gaffot faggots mentioned you guys

http://archive.is/YJ9AG

I love the Codex but yeah, there are a bunch of posters there who can't get through two sentences without blurting out "TUMBLR SJW FAGGOTS AAAAAARGH" even in completely unrelated topics. The whole culture war zeitgeist is getting really fucking exhausting. They act like they want it to be just about the games, but a place like the Codex has basically no one speaking up about this stuff and yet they still fill it with whining about "SJWs".

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad. Oh well, I'm still playing Melania Trump, the Chaotic Neutral Half-elf Bard.

Melania+Trump+QVC+Red+Carpet+Style+Party+Arrivals+KoxytRVQJk1l.jpg

Weasel
Amber Scott apparently posted to clear things up and placate the Codex: (actually a few months ago)

"As I've said before (and I won't say much more on this subject other than to get my perspective out there):
I'm the writer and creator. I get to make decisions about who I write about and why. I don't like writing about straight/white/cis people all the time. It's not reflective of the real world, it sets up s/w/c as the "normal" baseline from which "other" characters must be added, and it's boring. I consciously add as much diversity as I can to my writing and I don't care if people think that's "forced" or fake. I find choosing to write from a straight default just as artificial. I'm happy to be an SJW and I hope to write many Social Justice Games in the future that reach as many different types of people as possible. Everyone should get a chance to see themselves reflected in pop culture."

Metacritic dropped to 4.0, but I'm sure there will be an influx of supporters to balance out the haters soon.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Oh, again I have to thank my Instinctual Shit Detecting Radar for keeping me "inexplicably" uninterested in this thing.
Well, I'm interested in the shitstorm now.

As another user said before me, I wouldn't have seen the SJW shit coming, honestly. Good Lord it's amazing how they always manage to surprise you with this shit.
Maybe the old-style look of the screenshots automatically reset my brain to a simpler time, where SJW shit didn't exist (I mean, not as we know it today).
So yes, I was only saved by my Instinctual Radar rather than by an educated, informed guess on the merit of the title.
It's all good though, that's why the radar is there to begin with.

And now, back to reading about sweet SJW tears, humiliation and begging for good reviews.
Oh, and good riddance, I take it?

EDIT: and before someone comment on it, I'm perfectly capable of tolerating SWJ content, it's our burden nowadays... but tainting the glories of the past, that's going too far, my friends.

Mustawd

Is this chick for real?

I don't care what the audience wants, so screw you? Please.

And it's not even the content. A trans character CAN be interesting. But if it's well written and not forced in the middle of two games with pre-established lore. What a fucking hack.

Last edited by a moderator:

A user named cat

bmNGCVZ.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom