Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview at Sorcerer's Place

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why would anyone buy this for PC?! You can get all IE-Games for 20 bucks in a bundle, for fucks sake!
Additional content, made by Trent's competent team. Plus buying this funds BG3. You gotta want BG3. Why wouldn't you want BG3? Why do you hate freedom, Scrooge?

Come on, the additional characters sound like they are straight out of Biowares latest DARKFANTASY LOLOMG Romance Playing Game. And no, I don't want BG3 because chances are at about 99 % that it would be the biggest pile of shit mankind has ever seen. Although I would like to be positively surprised about this last point.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tor.com: The name, Overhaul Games, suggests you enjoy breathing new life into classics, but does the studio have any plans or desire to create a new, unique standalone title or IP?

Oster: I view Overhaul Games as more than taking old games and bringing them back to life. We chose Overhaul Games as our name to represent our attitude around game development as well. We think game development is about skilled developers working hard to make great products—we wanted a strong blue-collar association. We chose to embrace the idea that game development is mostly about execution and the best way to execute well is to have skilled developers and to stay out of their way, giving direction, not micro-management. Our goal is to remain a small team of committed individuals who work hard and make great games and I think the Overhaul moniker keeps us in touch with that ideal.
:lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Tor.com: The name, Overhaul Games, suggests you enjoy breathing new life into classics, but does the studio have any plans or desire to create a new, unique standalone title or IP?

Oster: I view Overhaul Games as more than taking old games and bringing them back to life. We chose Overhaul Games as our name to represent our attitude around game development as well. We think game development is about skilled developers working hard to make great products—we wanted a strong blue-collar association. We chose to embrace the idea that game development is mostly about execution and the best way to execute well is to have skilled developers and to stay out of their way, giving direction, not micro-management. Our goal is to remain a small team of committed individuals who work hard and make great games and I think the Overhaul moniker keeps us in touch with that ideal.
Yeah, the whole paragraph is so horribly contrived. How it tries to twist around an alternative meaning to Overhaul!

He didn't even answer the question. Do you have plans to make your own standalone title, yes or no?

How hard is it? "Yes, we plan to make games of our own." OR "No, we just intend to remake old classics." Answer. The. Question, Mr. Oster.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1.jpg
hardhat.jpg

Blue collar!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The only thing that interests me about this is the character kit implementation. It's a thing that could actually significantly improve both first BG and first IWD as boring character progression is the main flaw of these games. Of course this should be done with careful rebalancing, otherwise some kits known from BG2 would be ridiculously over or underpowered. So, judging by the quality of the stuff that can be seen on screens and read in the interviews, I'm not holding my breath.
I can't think of any kit or class from BG2 that would be overpowered in BG1.

As for being underpowered:

Kensai fighters and Cavalier paladins will have nightmares at low levels, and Monks too will have serious trouble. But then again, the idea behind these classes always was short term pain for long-term gain, so no change is necessarily required.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The only thing that interests me about this is the character kit implementation. It's a thing that could actually significantly improve both first BG and first IWD as boring character progression is the main flaw of these games. Of course this should be done with careful rebalancing, otherwise some kits known from BG2 would be ridiculously over or underpowered. So, judging by the quality of the stuff that can be seen on screens and read in the interviews, I'm not holding my breath.
How about a druid that can change into a wyvern on 1st level?

ChristofferC

Magister

Kensai fighters and Cavalier paladins will have nightmares at low levels, and Monks too will have serious trouble. But then again, the idea behind these classes always was short term pain for long-term gain, so no change is necessarily required.
Berserker, totemic druid.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

One spirit animal summoned by totemic druid would probably be able to beat Sarevok one on one and would cut through 3/4 of the game like blade through grass.

Shapeshifter druid would be hugely op. Berserker would be hugely op. Undead hunter and Inquisitor would be op. Assasin's poison and the traps from that other rogue kit would be op as well, though that would be mostly dependant on player's willingness to cheese.

Edit: Yes, Bard kits as well - the one that can confuse all enemies through a song and the one with skills giving crazy combat bonuses.

Also, Inquisitor is way op in general so perhaps this shouldn't be blamed on porting it 1:1 to BG, but still.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Trent must be feeling pretty good right now, he must be thinking "today BGEE, tomorrow THE WORLD!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Agreed. I am currently playing the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod (and playing as a Priest of Lathander). There is also this if people think the regular game is too easy.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Being able to summon a bear with about 100hp, huge damage with fear effect and immune to normal weapons on level 1 is not op in BG?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013

One spirit animal summoned by totemic druid would probably be able to beat Sarevok one on one and would cut through 3/4 of the game like blade through grass.

Shapeshifter druid would be hugely op. Berserker would be hugely op. Undead hunter and Inquisitor would be op. Assasin's poison and the traps from that other rogue kit would be op as well, though that would be mostly dependant on player's willingness to cheese.

Edit: Yes, Bard kits as well - the one that can confuse all enemies through a song and the one with skills giving crazy combat bonuses.

Also, Inquisitor is way op in general so perhaps this shouldn't be blamed on porting it 1:1 to BG, but still.

I do not recall spirit animals being anywhere NEAR that power at level 7 and below. Considering BG1 ends with your main pc at around level 6-7 or so, I think this fear is totally unfounded.

Shapeshifter druids though are quite powerful and super cool.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Spirit animals do not scale with level, that's exactly the thing that should be fixed.

And that is exactly why I'm asking - was it? I did some quick search and I found info about them doing something about the shapeshifter kit, though nothing specific, just one guy admitting it would be op, so it's still possible that they did fuck all.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Spirit animals do not scale with level, that's exactly the thing that should be fixed.

And that is exactly why I'm asking - was it? I did some quick search and I found info about them doing something about the shapeshifter kit, though nothing specific, just one guy admitting it would be op, so it's still possible that they did fuck all.

Why is that a bad thing? Modern day class balance is pure and utter shit. It is why D&D4e never became a big success. It is why all MMORPGs are shit, including TOR.

What is wrong with having a game where a class can be pretty weak in the beginning (mages in BG1) but utterly dominant later on (BG2)? Druid Shifters ofcourse, are powerful throughout and that's ok too. If you are going to put a class with the ability to transform into a ravening beast, you better make it live up to it (and bg2 did. I loved Cernd)

Yes I agree Mages are too weak early on...but nothing is perfect.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
the Sadist/masochist in me wants this to succeed out of a morbid curiosity as to what BG2-ToB and potentially BG3 will look like under these...developers...hands.

waywardOne

Arcane
You know what a good "enhancement" would be? Assigning kits to at least 75% of the bad guys, too. I think SCS does this (definitely) for mages and (possibly) for fighters.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Agreed. I am currently playing the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod (and playing as a Priest of Lathander). There is also this if people think the regular game is too easy.

:bro:
I'm doing the same thing at the moment! After reading about the Enhanced Edition I suddenly felt the urge to replay the series. I assume you did too? :D
My party is currently adventuring inside Durlags Tower, we went there before finishing the Iron Throne investigation inside Baldurs Gate.

(Just a screen where we are currently, spoilered because of Screen size)
ifcoqnol.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

:bro:
I'm doing the same thing at the moment! After reading about the Enhanced Edition I suddenly felt the urge to replay the series. I assume you did too? :D
My party is currently adventuring inside Durlags Tower, we went there before finishing the Iron Throne investigation inside Baldurs Gate.

Yeah All the damn BG talk made me want to play it again. Also I have never played The Baldur's Gate Trilogy Mod, which is working perfect so far. Also wanted to try the AWESOME Item Randomizer mod (it basically randomizes all the loot in the game in a way better than the retarded fixed BioWare loot. Like for example that retarded Diamond and the Ring of Wizardry you can easily find very early on. You won't be finding that shit early on with this mod. And man I'm at Peldvale and STILL have not found a ring of wizardry heh. FFFFUUUU.). Anyways Highly recommended mod so far (it still needs some tweeks though).

Hegel

Arcane
I'm in the mid of a full modded (expert install) BGTrilogy install (just finished the Unseeing Eye Quest). Although my cleric of Selune/Wild Mage (via shadowkeeper) is incredibly overpowered (I think something messed up and forced a level up to 50 then deleveled me for no apparent reason) and cheesily equipped I still find myself getting snuffed more often than not (on insane), as a matter of fact I had to ditch my other teammates (other than Drizzt) in order to tigthen the leveling curve. My strategy has so far been that of abusing the Project images/Spell Immunity Divination combo and mass summon Efreetis.
I may gain a level or two before trying the Revised planar sphere, the Vecna mod and Watcher's Keep.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Shapeshifter druids though are quite powerful and super cool.
A normal greater werewolf gets a bonus to magic/elemental resistance, immunity to normal weapons, 2-16 points of base damage with paws that work as a +3 weapon, the minimum possible saving throws, a high THAC0 bonus, and regeneration.

But a Shapeshifter's greater werewolf form gets almost none of those things: just fixed or set magic/elemental resistance, no immunity, less damage with +2 paws only, no saving throw bonuses, no THAC0 bonus, and no regeneration.

Have you ever noticed how Cernd gets killed quickly if you control him in the Druid Grove fight, but is an absolute monster if he is a third party? AI werewolves are much more powerful than party werewolves.

By comparison, a high level monk wearing Ring of Gaxx, Pale Green Ioun Stone, and Amulet of Power and getting buffed by a cleric or a mage with Protection from Fire/Cold/et cetera easily gets all these benefits and much more. This character will have all the magic/elemental resistance, immunities, magical damage, saving throws, THAC0 bonuses, and regeneration that a greater werewolf could have. This makes a monk a better Shapeshifter Druid than a Shapeshifter Druid. Plus, druids have such high minimum stat requirements that you can't keep any dump stat.

Worst. Class. EVER. By comparison, NWN's shapeshifter druids could transform into dragons.

Hegel

Arcane
To be honest I always found druid shapeshifters to be underwhelming, shapeshift - mind flayer + timestop is so much better than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom