Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

SCS has an option to let you respec all NPCs in-game, including class/abilities/etc and allowing you to multi with humans (to dual with non-humans I think you'd need a tweakpack option that enables that).

mastroego

Arcane
Darn it, that particular component doesn't seem to be available for EE

EDIT: Perhaps the Level One NPCs can do that though

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just one more thing before I go to sleep.

The new UI is a drastic departure from the original. It's jarring. But it is very functional, and you can get used to it quickly. All weird visual additions (character outlines, health bars etc.) enabled by default, can be diseabled in the considerably expanded options menu. Don't get triggered and discouraged.

Also, if you don't diseable ee npcs, all of them have a convenient "fuck off" dialogue option. I recommend not engaging with them beyond that. Unless you are into mod npcs. Compared to most popular mods of that variety, ee npcs are fine. Still shit though.

Taim

Educated
Yes, indeed, I am reading them.
And becoming aware of how close to the skyrim mod scene this has become...

Sure it can be fun in some ways but it'll be long too.
I'm building a virtual mod order (complete with picks for the sub-components) to follow once it's finished.
Indeed doubts upon doubts are starting to rise.
For instance, if I use Imoen 4 Ever, may I still change her to a Swashbuckler/Mage using Refinements?

P.S.: thanks for the video link!
Bro relax. It's nothing like Skyrim.

Skyrim is a game that needs hundreds of mods to make the game challenging and enjoyable.

You don't need any mods for BG2EE at all. Full stop. You can play it out of the gate and be totally fine.

There are 0 necessary content mods - the game is already chock full of content. There's like 2 or 3 content mods across the entire trilogy that are palatable and even then they are only useful for people who play the game yearly.

All you want (not need, want) for BG2EE is the following:

* A UI mod (look up Dragonspear UI and Lefreut UI). Dragonspear UI is a massive UI overhaul that makes the UI more like Pillars of Eternity - Lefreut's is just a better version of the existing UI.
* A mod to remove the EE content if you're worried the content is gonna be bad - and everyone here will tell you the content is bad - but we're also miserable pricks who hate everything.
- If you are a miserable prick like us get the remove EE NPCs mod.

Thats it, unless you are worried the game is too easy, then you can go down the Sword Coast Strategems rabbithole - but you can probably avoid that - and even then thats only one more mod.

Thats a total of THREE mods. After fucking around with mods for this game for two decades I can confidently tell you - less is more.

Just play the game man.

Taim

Educated
I stand corrected. I forgot I added these to my last playthrough and enjoyed them.

Not really necessary if you're not playing SCS but they are nice to have. Add these two minor interface mods to my list. 5 mods.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Also, if you don't diseable ee npcs, all of them have a convenient "fuck off" dialogue option. I recommend not engaging with them beyond that. Unless you are into mod npcs. Compared to most popular mods of that variety, ee npcs are fine. Still shit though.
Can't you have Montaron take care of the problematic would-be companions?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys don't actually read the posts of the guy you're pretending to try to help. He wants to play bg2, not bg1. He needs scs, because he was asking about Tactics. Install everything and crank that bitch to hard at least, with damage scaling.

Tweaks Anthology is like the Ease-of-Use mod of old. Go through the readme and install everything you think you want.

aTweaks is a rebalancing mod with changes to the ruleset, like spell progression for classes, how enemy abilities work and such. If you want to play with difficulty mods, and have some knowladge about how the game works, good and bad, you will probably find some options worth installing.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I'm afraid I could use some help still.
I'm feeling a bit disoriented with all the sites, mods, game editions, load orders, sub-components and so on.

One thing at a time.
Now that I have BG2 EE, do I need UI mods?
Or do I just need to work on the in-game graphic settings?

I heard about a mod that add turn trackers for active effects. What's its name?

P.S.:
did anyone try Imoen 4 Ever?
Yes its one of the mods I used for the Romance and better interaction but it caused problems in BG2, Imoen suddenly wouldn't respond to me

So I uninstalled it but it does work for EE so I think it was the order I installed it. Thats the thing with BG mods, you need to install the types in a certain order

Here is an example of the order you install mods but I would recommend you do your own research as well on Beamdog, Gibberlings and Spellhold. There aren't lots of mods unlike ES games so it shouldnt take you more than a few hours and this applies to BG2 as well

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60317/bgee-recommended-mod-list-for-new-players/p1

And this is a great NPC mod that I used for both BG1&2, Vienxay

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...-a-elven-shadowmage-npc-for-bg-ee-sod-and-eet

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
aTweaks is a rebalancing mod with changes to the ruleset, like spell progression for classes, how enemy abilities work and such.
Why? What's bad about vanilla spell progression for classes? If he hasn't played, he doesn't have an opinion, so he can't make informed decisions.

Stop recommending shit.

mastroego

Arcane
Just one more thing before I go to sleep.

The new UI is a drastic departure from the original. It's jarring. But it is very functional, and you can get used to it quickly. All weird visual additions (character outlines, health bars etc.) enabled by default, can be diseabled in the considerably expanded options menu. Don't get triggered and discouraged.

I fired the game and saw the new portraits.
That was enough to judge the quality of the new content... they don't even fit with the style.

BUT, I trust your judgement on the engine improvements, that's what I wanted so it's fine ;)

Bro relax. It's nothing like Skyrim.

Skyrim is a game that needs hundreds of mods to make the game challenging and enjoyable.

You don't need any mods for BG2EE at all. Full stop. You can play it out of the gate and be totally fine.

There are 0 necessary content mods - the game is already chock full of content. There's like 2 or 3 content mods across the entire trilogy that are palatable and even then they are only useful for people who play the game yearly.

I'm a returning would-be player though, not a new one.
I already played with Ascension (beat it with a 3 characters party) and SCS back in the day.
I did like the challenge even though it was frustrating at times.

I want the mods, it's not about needing them, indeed.
I used to be familiar with Weidu and stuff.
Just didn't expect things to "progress" this much since then

mastroego

Arcane
Started with the installation of the GUI mod, now I have to pick quests.
So far I've selected the usual Unfinished Business, Quest Pack, and added Almaterias restoration project, Tower of Deception to the list.

Many people swear by Lava Del Vortel's mods.
Are you guys so adamant against any addition of this kind?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Assassinations is great for an evil party.
Lava's mods in general are high quality (especially on the art department), but they tend to add trippy stuff here and there into the game. Definitely not for everyone.
Wheels of Prophecy makes ToB less linear, and is good.
And don't forget Ascension.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lava is a potato from the potato scene, and I hope I'm not misremembering him when I say he's a bit of a loony.

Perhaps during my next playthrough I should give all those older mods people were talking about on the forums in the 00's a chance. Just to celebrate the old times. Or perhaps I should let the past die.

The Limper

Educated
If you remember anything about BG1, there are lots of NPCs. I liked the mod BG1NPCs for SoA, not so much for the content but for adding a lot more NPC options that are not OP options. I mean, how do you not have Kagain, Monty and Xzar in your party, harassing the pathetic harper Jaheira, with Good ole’ Monty telling her to suck his Blade… stuff of legends.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Lava is a potato from the potato scene, and I hope I'm not misremembering him when I say he's a bit of a loony.
Almateria posted her slashed wrists on shsforums and whined that she failed another suicide attempt by calling the hospital. If these people don't mod for us, who will?

BruceVC

Magister
damn, for me these are NEW mods
damn
Masie do you know why you think that? Its because you havent played BG before ...this is your FIRST time so everything is new

At least we reading what you explain :-D

Started with the installation of the GUI mod, now I have to pick quests.
So far I've selected the usual Unfinished Business, Quest Pack, and added Almaterias restoration project, Tower of Deception to the list.

Many people swear by Lava Del Vortel's mods.
Are you guys so adamant against any addition of this kind?
Good choices, I used unfinished business and Quest Pack
What about some nice friendly Romance mods?

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/romantic-encounters/

Also I found the Beamdog link I used when I modded BG2 EE its very useful because its got categories and mod install order advice

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34882/list-of-bg2ee-compatible-mods

Krivol

Magister
Haha, I still remember him joining some old BG forum (BGiF IIRC) and asking: 'Hey, I wanna do a mod, how?".

4E88384FDED8AFEF979EFC6181AFC48851493A5B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom