Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

madrigal

Augur
I think I will stick to Wyll anyway just to see how bad he is, at least I'll have some good quality companions left for the Evil playthrough

Lae'zel and Astarion don't mind Minthara right?
As far as evil durge playthough I actually don't know how it pans out. During my current good durge run lae'zel makes it pretty she clear she wont stand for chaos, so I am not sure how an 'indulging in the urge' run would go with her. She's pretty much written as lawful evil so idk how she'd mash with CE playthrough which evil durge pretty much is.
I killed everyone at the grove and nobody cared, Halsin still bugged me every time in camp that he loved me. Killed Isobel and nobody cared, not even the Nightsong. You can even tell companions that you love killing and they still just give you understanding that everybody has bad thoughts.

volklore

Arcane
I think I will stick to Wyll anyway just to see how bad he is, at least I'll have some good quality companions left for the Evil playthrough

As far as evil durge playthough I actually don't know how it pans out. During my current good durge run lae'zel makes it pretty she clear she wont stand for chaos, so I am not sure how an 'indulging in the urge' run would go with her. She's pretty much written as lawful evil so idk how she'd mash with CE playthrough which evil durge pretty much is.
I killed everyone at the grove and nobody cared, Halsin still bugged me every time in camp that he loved me. Killed Isobel and nobody cared, not even the Nightsong. You can even tell companions that you love killing and they still just give you understanding that everybody has bad thoughts.
You're not supposed to be able to recruit Halsin if you raid the grove with minthara. I think it was pretty much confirmed as a bug if this happens.

madrigal

Augur

You're not supposed to be able to recruit Halsin if you raid the grove with minthara. I think it was pretty much confirmed as a bug if this happens.
I did not raid the grove with minthara. I killed all the goblins because I love killing and then after celebrating with Halsin went back to the grove and killed everyone.

Barbarian

Arcane

I did not raid the grove with minthara. I killed all the goblins because I love killing and then after celebrating with Halsin went back to the grove and killed everyone.

It is probably too much to ask for the game to encompass reaction to ellaborate meta murder hobo runs. There are probably several ways you can "break" the game like that.

Why would MC kill the goblins, celebrate saving the tieflings and then murder them all anyway.

madrigal

Augur
Why would MC kill the goblins, celebrate saving the tieflings and then murder them all anyway.
Because evil people lie to get people on side and when their back is turned they stab them. Celebrating saving a grove that is about to be destroyed is delightfully evil.

madrigal

Augur
It is probably too much to ask for the game to encompass reaction to ellaborate meta murder hobo runs.
Companions reacting to killing innocent people is too much to ask? I seem to recall Baldur's gate 2 doing so and companions leaving if you did evil things. Seems most games react to killing innocents. Only BG3 seems to not react to things you do and only things you say in a dialogue tree.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

The idle companions get EXP so you can switch them out for stuff they don’t like.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Wyll is a boring character but at the same time he's not too annoying so he can be.

Wyll sold his soul to save the city from Tiamat's cultists. Of course, as part of the pact, he couldn't tell anyone about it. So he did it for a completely altruistic reason, which makes him even more boring, but it suits the character.

Barbarian

Arcane

The idle companions get EXP so you can switch them out for stuff they don’t like.
They still approve/disapprove of your actions, in my experience. Even when Gale was in camp I was getting frequent reactions from him for instance.

Desiderius

Patron
Wyll would be improved by making his soul darker, not his skin whiter.
If you need a flamboyant bard companion, petition to have Volo recruitable into the party.
Volo read about it in a book. Wyll’s been, you know, fighting in the Hells for ten years. I haven’t gotten any flamboyance.

Are you guys datamining dialogue trees to find something to whine about? Wyll does make decent Lore Bard caster with Shield prof, and he can even use Sorrow there if you want. But Lore Bard doesn’t get extra attack so more a caster.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

They still approve/disapprove of your actions, in my experience. Even when Gale was in camp I was getting frequent reactions from him for instance.
Haven’t seen this. You can just bring Laezel and Astarion to make the Tiefling bow and no disapprovals show up. Is that something you can check somewhere?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you need a flamboyant bard companion, petition to have Volo recruitable into the party.
Volo read about it in a book. Wyll’s been, you know, fighting in the Hells for ten years. I haven’t gotten any flamboyance.

Are you guys datamining dialogue trees to find something to whine about? Ayll does make decent Lore Bard caster with Shield prof, and he can even use Sortow there if you want. But Lore Bard doesn’t get extra attack so more a caster.
Wyll makes perfect sense as a 3 Warlock, the rest in Swords Bard, and fighting with a rapier. Actually fits his voice lines better.
The point is that his tone and speech makes no sense for a Warlock, and someone like him wouldn't become a Warlock. You need a bit more edge and a bit more hardness to take the martyrdom opportunity he supposedly took on short notice in his teens or whatever. A guy like him, or a guy like how he sounds, would actually reject the deal and call the police to handle it. He doesn't have enough Dirty Harry in him. He could've been Batman, for example. Oohh, the guards can't handle it, maybe a guard is one of the cultists even, maybe a guard would've opened the door to the city, my father the politician can't see the rot in the system, so I'll sacrifice to save the city by myself. Just anything that isn't generic Goodguy Goodman Goodnovski.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Are you guys datamining dialogue trees to find something to whine about? Ayll does make decent Lore Bard caster with Shield prof, and he can even use Sortow there if you want. But Lore Bard doesn’t get extra attack so more a caster.
Wyll makes perfect sense as a 3 Warlock, the rest in Swords Bard, and fighting with a rapier. Actually fits his voice lines better.
The point is that his tone and speech makes no sense for a Warlock, and someone like him wouldn't become a Warlock. You need a bit more edge and a bit more hardness to take the martyrdom opportunity he supposedly took on short notice in his teens or whatever. A guy like him, or a guy like how he sounds, would actually reject the deal and call the police to handle it. He doesn't have enough Dirty Harry in him. He could've been Batman, for example. Oohh, the guards can't handle it, maybe a guard is one of the cultists even, maybe a guard would've opened the door to the city, my father the politician can't see the rot in the system, so I'll sacrifice to save the city by myself. Just anything that isn't generic Goodguy Goodman Goodnovski.
If you read the spoiler I posted, you'll see that the reason he did it was a little different.

Yosharian

Arcane
Helpful information: It's very difficult to play as a sword-and-board human male fighter, because the game literally doesn't contain any good longswords. They're all trash.
Complete nonsense.
Longswords specifically... I think that the best one is probably the "Sword of the Emperor" which you get partway through Act III, but it's a lackluster +2 that simply gives you a bonus to certain (admittedly important) saving throws. Compared to many other weapon types, longswords are completely lackluster in BG3.

They even turned Balduran's sword, which was a longsword in the second game, into a greatsword. :negative:
Phalar Aluve, one of the best weapons in the game

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you read the spoiler I posted, you'll see that the reason he did it was a little different.
I know, I've done his quest to completion. My argument is that the character and his reasoning right now is dull, and should've been different. I suggested alternatives.

notpl

Arbiter
Helpful information: It's very difficult to play as a sword-and-board human male fighter, because the game literally doesn't contain any good longswords. They're all trash.
Quite a few good scimitars and rapiers, and thanks to the removal of trash like weapon specialization it doesn't really matter what the weapon's base type is as long as you're proficient in it. There are also several great maces, which is a far more appropriate weapon for a fighter to be using anyway.

notpl

Arbiter
I also noticed they included several finesse-applicable longswords (I think? My College of Swords bard was able to use them and they dealt 1d8 slashing), as well as a finesse glaive, which I appreciated for build variety's sake. There's one really great one you get in act 2 that has a large aoe special attack that can even trigger sneak attack (albeit only on one enemy in the aoe). Rapiers on every bard/rogue gets a bit tedious.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Quite a few good scimitars and rapiers, and thanks to the removal of trash like weapon specialization it doesn't really matter what the weapon's base type is as long as you're proficient in it. There are also several great maces, which is a far more appropriate weapon for a fighter to be using anyway.
The game has lots of good longswords, so he is wrong anyway, basically three people in my party are fighters with the longsword + shield combo and it works really well

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
2 best weapons are likely returning hammer and returning trident, which beg for shield in offhand

Desiderius

Patron
You guys are praising Astarion and so now I gotta reload. I stabbed that motherfucker when he tried to get close to my neck.
Playing as a girl and romancing Astarion, and both of you ascending so you two can rule the world together at the end, would probably be the best "evil" ending. Maybe as as the Dark Urge, for maximum edgy stabby. You can have Shar Shart be your wine auntie friend.

My Astarion run has him as Knowledge Cleric of Corellon Lorethian making an honest woman out of Arcane Trickster Shadowheart. Maybe I should have made him Cleric of Selune to really go off.

He gets to be a Cleric with Longbow/Longsword* and Perception prof and she gets Shield prof to beef up AC on Ranged Rogue. Eventually both mostly cast since no extra attack.

* - Altuve Longsword is finesseable allowing him to still cover Sleight of Hand for party.
Will never understand people who play classes with Martial Prof then whine about the one weapon type they’ve restricted themselves to.

Why? One-handers are a little slower than two-handers to show up but Spears and Staves are versatile. Just use the Blind Spear or Snare staff until you get to the good blades. It’s not like Fighter is a big damage dealer until the extra attack kicks in anyway, especially Sword and Board.

Desiderius

Patron

Do you understand how Cutting Words works? What a giant leap Bard takes when Inspiration jumps to Short Rest at Bard 5?

I’m not waiting around until level 8 for that. Swords Bard? Why? What are the 3 Warlock levels for then? Armor is good because it (and all the other Warlock spells) keeps scaling with Lock levels.

As for needing to be a hard ass to sacrifice yourself that’s… a new angle on *that* debate. But he didn’t. Being a martyr requires, you know, dying. He isn’t dead.

Yosharian

Arcane
In all fairness to HumanMaleFighter he's not wrong insofar as Longswords specifically are concerned, there aren't that many good Longswords right at the tail end of the game - legendaries and the like. But for s&b characters, there are tons of great options. A lot of them are finesse weapons though, and maybe a dagger or two.

Phalar Aluve is an S-tier longsword but it isn't necessarily because it hits hard, it has a special aura that fucks up the enemy. Perhaps not the type of weapon you want your big bad fighter to use, I dunno.

Rhobar121

Scholar
In all fairness to HumanMaleFighter he's not wrong insofar as Longswords specifically are concerned, there aren't that many good Longswords right at the tail end of the game - legendaries and the like. But for s&b characters, there are tons of great options. A lot of them are finesse weapons though, and maybe a dagger or two.

Phalar Aluve is an S-tier longsword but it isn't necessarily because it hits hard, it has a special aura that fucks up the enemy. Perhaps not the type of weapon you want your big bad fighter to use, I dunno.
To be honest, the difference between a +1 weapon and a +3 legendary weapon is minimal. Some purple +2 weapons are better than legendary in terms of effects.

Yosharian

Arcane

To be honest, the difference between a +1 weapon and a +3 legendary weapon is minimal.
Uhhh I'm not sure I agree with that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom